The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Mike's White Widearch N/A Supra Project

Mike2JZ

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 256
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Decided I was having too much fun with the Supra, so decided to myself sad by taking all the dash out again to fix the heater :D

attachment.php?attachmentid=193852&stc=1&d=1415554240

attachment.php?attachmentid=193853&stc=1&d=1415554240

attachment.php?attachmentid=193854&stc=1&d=1415554240

attachment.php?attachmentid=193855&stc=1&d=1415554240

Started a bit late in the afternoon, so I just managed to get the crash bar & heater unit out as the sun went down.

Assuming it's not chucking it down tomorrow, I can hopefully get everything back in again in record time.

heater1.jpg

heater2.jpg

heater3.jpg

heater4.jpg

I'm well annoyed.

Adjusted the heater and made sure the pipes were as solid as I could make them to ensure they wouldn't move around. Put everything back in and still getting a bloody leak in the passenger footwell.

Whoever designed the heater should be shot, can't believe they don't use proper fittings to make sure the pipes stay tight around the heater radiator.

Anyway I give up for the time being, will just block the heater off again till I come up with a better idea to get it working.

I'm well annoyed.

Adjusted the heater and made sure the pipes were as solid as I could make them to ensure they wouldn't move around. Put everything back in and still getting a bloody leak in the passenger footwell.

Whoever designed the heater should be shot, can't believe they don't use proper fittings to make sure the pipes stay tight around the heater radiator.

Anyway I give up for the time being, will just block the heater off again till I come up with a better idea to get it working.

Did the pipes have good condition o-rings between the fittings on the top of the heater box?

Did the pipes have good condition o-rings between the fittings on the top of the heater box?

Yeah I used the new ones that came with the new matrix and made sure when putting them back in that everything was sitting as solid as it could have been.

Next time I take everything out I'll check the radiator for leaks on the off chance it's down to that. It sound a little extreme but I might get a friend to weld the pipes onto the heater box fittings, no chance of leaks or movement then.

Edit:

Actually that probably won't work as I would like it to as the heater inlet connects to the water valve, which probably isn't made of metal. Grrr

Edited by Mike2JZ (see edit history)

Picked up a whole new heater unit from monkey3, which feels a lot more solid by the heater matrix then what I currently have, so I've got faith this will work!

Hopefully fit it in this weekend and enjoy having the windows up for once.

attachment.php?attachmentid=194254&stc=1&d=1416448271

Also a quick external mic soundcheck on my way home:

The exhaust sounds is obviously missing boost, but it sounds quite throaty with the pedal down, so will get some more clips in future.

newheater.jpg

It is done!

Started the heater matrix job at 21:45 tonight, finished at 02:00. Dunno about the rest of the UK, but down south it was bitterly cold. Having the heater on for the drive home was the best feeling ever. Gonna go sleep like a baby now.

Next up is:

- Get sound system in car working

- Increase mpg (new 02 sensors + other goodies incoming)

It is done!

Started the heater matrix job at 21:45 tonight, finished at 02:00. Dunno about the rest of the UK, but down south it was bitterly cold. Having the heater on for the drive home was the best feeling ever. Gonna go sleep like a baby now.

Next up is:

took me 2 weeks on and off and alot of swearing

It is done!

Next up is:

You are like an expert on dash removal :D

Well done on getting it fixed, most likely the worst thing to do on the car!

You are like an expert on dash removal :D

Well done on getting it fixed, most likely the worst thing to do on the car!

It's actually not to bad of a job, now that I know it off the top of my heart. Just takes some time, that said hopefully I don't have to take everything out again in the future.

Also found out what the issue was with my heater and why it was leaking.

attachment.php?attachmentid=194450&stc=1&d=1416923716

When I first received the car, with the heater out, the metal clamps that are meant to be secured to to the water heater pipes & the heater matrix weren't attached. So for the longest time I had no idea that they needed to be attached, which explain why I was always getting leaks whenever running the car.

After buying the new heater unit from Monkey3, I noticed immediately that his had the clamps installed and is the reason why it worked first time. There was lots of swearing when I found out the issue was so simple and was down to me overlooking something so small.

So I will fix the 'old' heater now, run some leak tests on it and sell it on & update the heater matrix swap guide with a couple of my findings which should hopefully save people doing the same mistake as me.

IMG_5658.jpg