The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Project Procrastination

mwilkinson

Well my Rock Auto order finally turned up today.  I got spanked for £55 in duty/VAT.  That was for the compressor, seal kit and expansion valve.

Unfortunately the electrical plug on the compressor was smashed to pieces.  Luckily I was able to swap the connector over from my old pump.  Not ideal but certainly easier than trying to return and exchange it!

I've also swapped over the upper plate with the old pump and it all fits perfectly.  I still need to clean these parts up, but it's good to know it is a straight swap.

20210726_183255.thumb.jpg.6cacce20bf0bfdebf692131badc9e434.jpg

• Like 5

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

One day Barry.  I do miss being able to drive the car, but working on it is equally pleasing to me.

I suspect I've got another 2 years to go before it's back on the road.

This year I'd still like to get the Alcon brakes and the gixxer drew modified B6 Bilsteins refurbished.

Next year will be the bodywork and starting to rebuild the car with the various completed sub assemblies.

The final year will be the engine rebuild and getting it back up and running.

1 hour ago, mwilkinson said:

One day Barry.  I do miss being able to drive the car, but working on it is equally pleasing to me.

I suspect I've got another 2 years to go before it's back on the road.

This year I'd still like to get the Alcon brakes and the gixxer drew modified B6 Bilsteins refurbished.

Next year will be the bodywork and starting to rebuild the car with the various completed sub assemblies.

The final year will be the engine rebuild and getting it back up and running.

What was the reason for taking it off the road ? Did the engine fail or something similar ? 

1 hour ago, mattdavies said:

What was the reason for taking it off the road ? Did the engine fail or something similar ? 

No. The car was running perfectly, but the body needed some attention.  This then spiraled into a desire to restore the whole car and get it up to a standard that I could maintain for the rest of my ownership of it.

I was also aware that parts were rapidly disappearing and didn't want to have to contemplate trying to do a restoration years down the line when parts and prices were a significant hurdle.

Edited by mwilkinson (see edit history)

I lost 100 of my own hours to my underside refurb with new OE parts, I hate to think how many hours you have put into your car. You have to treat it as a hobby, a labour of love, otherwise you'd lose it along the way and probably most of your savings.

It takes a certain kind of character, I'd say almost obsessive in a complimentary way to see a multi-year project through. I just don't possess that degree of patience and was starting to lose the will to go further after just 12 weeks of looking at the underside of my car sat up on the ramp, it was only the thought of the finishing line that kept me focussed and motivated for that long. My ongoing restorative work now only goes as far as preventative maintenance replacing clips, electrical bits and ancillary mechanical parts with new OE as the moment moves me. 

Mind you, for those who embarked upon the mission only a few years ago now It is/was all done in the knowledge no one will be able to undertake the same project today with many of the parts needed now fallen off the Toyota bin list over the last 3 to 4 years. That is always going to make these cars a bit different and worth the effort, not to sure about the expense though. 

• 4 weeks later...

No big updates. Paul should be finished with all my parts shortly.

I've been stripping the car down further, side windows and doors.

I've also been restoring the plastic clutch and brake fluid reservoirs.  I bought 5ltrs of 12% Hyrdogen Peroxide and have been using my wife's UV nail thing.  This should remove all the discolouration and revert them to clear plastic.

_IMG_000000_000000.jpg.79b04b13232cd23bc4844e54dc8b8f2f.jpg

_IMG_000000_000000.thumb.jpg.282afc880490c4b01b873d0339d306a7.jpg

_IMG_000000_000000.thumb.jpg.93d252695910b98ed8aff8680da8c4ad.jpg

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

• 4 weeks later...

Picked up a load of parts from Paul on Friday.  Still waiting on the diff to be finished.

I've already installed the power steering rack, although I will buy a new main bush.  The old one cleaned up OK, but seems silly not to swap it out whilst I can.  I also need to replace the nuts for the track rods.

_IMG_000000_000000.thumb.jpg.4f8e2b02ea3a06527e501d21597b653f.jpg

_IMG_000000_000000.thumb.jpg.08c42c8dcb129e051f32c824ccfbe092.jpg

Gearbox is looking beautifully clean and will be put to one side to await assembly.

_IMG_000000_000000.thumb.jpg.789ab0c7f6fab0ed63791a5010d4838e.jpg

I've also stripped down the door handles.  This is in anticipation of being able to disassemble them for the eventual respray. 

I had two spare door handles so tried two different options.  The first was to remove the riveted bar and replace it with an M6 bolt.  I had to drill out the end where the riveted head of the original bar was.  I then tapped the hole to accommodate the desired bolt.

_IMG_000000_000000.thumb.jpg.a5b47427bd034f82f07d2f74d08c11f4.jpg

_IMG_000000_000000.thumb.jpg.a5683ce1621e00e9da6833131378acc2.jpg

The other option I looked at was buying 6mm clevis pins.  The difference being that I had to drill the hole out to 6mm to accommodate the pin. I used the rubber washer to dampen any rattle.

_IMG_000000_000000.thumb.jpg.506519a790f82c66119fad3ee3aa78ee.jpg

My preference is the clevis pin and rubber washer.  

I've also taken one of the wing mirrors apart to allow for the respray of the car.  This wasn't that difficult, although I did have to disassemble the electrical connector to allow the parts to properly separated.

_IMG_000000_000000.thumb.jpg.225987e662699d859bd54c823f790391.jpg

• Like 5

10 hours ago, Big Supes said:

Oww, where did you get the tacho face? 

My old Supra had been converted from auto to manual, so I bought a set of dials to replace them.  I subsequently swapped them for some back-lit dials, so these were just put to one side and forgotten about.

2 hours ago, mwilkinson said:

My old Supra had been converted from auto to manual, so I bought a set of dials to replace them.  I subsequently swapped them for some back-lit dials, so these were just put to one side and forgotten about.

Ah, I see. I've recently converted mine to manual so, if you'd like to sell, I'm on the hunt for a tacho dial. 🙂

6 hours ago, The Raven said:

It has to have come from a uk spec?

If it's just a dial and not the complete gauge, I don't believe so. 

13 hours ago, Big Supes said:

Ah, I see. I've recently converted mine to manual so, if you'd like to sell, I'm on the hunt for a tacho dial. 🙂

If it's just a dial and not the complete gauge, I don't believe so. 

If its a MPH Toyota branded part its from a uk car or was brought new from them surely?