The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Project Procrastination

mwilkinson

I've been restoring an active spoiler setup for a year or so now.

I've done the bulk of it now and thought I would share the rebuild with you.

The first thing was the motor. I've got a few motors so this first job was to test the motors. They worked so I picked one and took it apart. Repainted the motor housing and media blasted the case to get rid of all the aluminium crud.

attachment.php?attachmentid=235365&stc=1&d=1586804630

attachment.php?attachmentid=235366&stc=1&d=1586804675

I also needed to refurbish the main brackets. I zinc plated these and then painted them.

attachment.php?attachmentid=235367&stc=1&d=1586805057

Slowly I media blasted all the parts and either electroplated them or painted them. All the aluminium parts were blasted and sealed with satin lacquer.

attachment.php?attachmentid=235370&stc=1&d=1586805503

attachment.php?attachmentid=235369&stc=1&d=1586805469

attachment.php?attachmentid=235368&stc=1&d=1586805434

I saw a thread last year by Andrew K where he used a product by Eastwoods called plastic resurfacer. It looked really good. I decided to use this on one of my aero lips.

attachment.php?attachmentid=235371&stc=1&d=1586805816

This was the spoiler before. It was very green.

attachment.php?attachmentid=235372&stc=1&d=1586805931

This was after three coats.

attachment.php?attachmentid=235373&stc=1&d=1586806020

I then spent today reassembling the mechanism.

attachment.php?attachmentid=235374&stc=1&d=1586806151

attachment.php?attachmentid=235375&stc=1&d=1586806257

attachment.php?attachmentid=235376&stc=1&d=1586806290

attachment.php?attachmentid=235377&stc=1&d=1586806418

attachment.php?attachmentid=235378&stc=1&d=1586806448

_IMG_000000_000000.jpg

_IMG_000000_000000.jpg

_IMG_000000_000000.jpg

_IMG_000000_000000.jpg

_IMG_000000_000000.jpg

_IMG_000000_000000.jpg

_IMG_000000_000000.jpg

_IMG_000000_000000.jpg

_IMG_000000_000000.jpg

_IMG_000000_000000.jpg

_IMG_000000_000000.jpg

_IMG_000000_000000.jpg

_IMG_000000_000000.jpg

_IMG_000000_000000.jpg

Edited by mwilkinson (see edit history)

Fantastic work, I’d love to do the same with my spoiler blade as it’s discoloured. Can you advise where you got it from please as I can’t see it on eBay?

Hi Kev,

I could only find it through Frost.

https://www.frost.co.uk/eastwood-matte-black-plastic-resurfacer-aerosol-15089/

Stupid expensive, but it has done a cracking job on the plastic. Might be worth sending a PM to Andrew K to see how his has faired?

I’m also going to do the front bumper lower lip and the front number plate holder.

Looks brand new.

I'd offer a refurb service. Would get some takers. Very professional job. Well done mate.

It wouldn't be cost effective. The cars are not worth enough for people to pay what it takes for this kind of service.

It would also be very difficult to set a base price on a refurbishment, as it all depends on what you start with.

I doubt there are still the parts available to do this kind or refurb any longer which makes this project very much a unique effort. I found sourcing parts a proper task back in 2016/17 for my own small, by comparison, rejuvenation project.

It wouldn't be cost effective. The cars are not worth enough for people to pay what it takes for this kind of service.

It would also be very difficult to set a base price on a refurbishment, as it all depends on what you start with.

Now you know what its like to try and setup a headlight refurb business. Both comments feel like I've been there mate!

Frost are the same people that do POR15 paint, I suspect that plastic spray stuff while expensive is very good and we all know most sprays require constant reapplication.

I always marvel at this sort of stuff and it's nice to see it being done especially mainly DIY, respect to you Matt! Once you start amassing the right tools and equipment is must be addictive, "oh I'll just tidy this and plate that" etc

A real labour of love!

I always marvel at this sort of stuff and it's nice to see it being done especially mainly DIY, respect to you Matt! Once you start amassing the right tools and equipment is must be addictive, "oh I'll just tidy this and plate that" etc

A real labour of love!

I just bought a pro flaring tool to do a steel fuel line on my Mustang which now has me eyeing up fuel and brake lines everywhere with a manic glint. I cant even imagine what Matt has in mind for his new 20T press, probably motivated now to pull hubs and drive shafts for the sake of it. The right tools are the best tools which usually means expensive tools so it is never going to be a cost effective pursuit for your average DIY hobbyist, really rewarding though in a masochistic vein.

Agree a good tool makes you life easy but they can be hard to justify for sure! I have an engine crane I bought (used at least) maybe a decade ago!? Used once or twice at the time, now I'm not sure if it would work once uncovered.

Matt seems to have room (probably a hermetically sealed one! :D) for some nice bench tools at the least, to tackle the more niche jobs or ones where the timing saving is huge because of said tool.

He did offer me up his media blaster so I should probably take him up on that when I get round to doing my stock turbo pipes refresh. I think he'd hold his hands in despair at the state of my engine bay - well perhaps most of the car bar the interior! so I'd have to turn up in something else!

Now you know what its like to try and setup a headlight refurb business. Both comments feel like I've been there mate!

I don't envy people who have to do this for a career. I feel like pushing the boat out because it's mine, I'd struggle to muster the will on somebody else's car/parts.

Frost are the same people that do POR15 paint, I suspect that plastic spray stuff while expensive is very good and we all know most sprays require constant reapplication.

A real labour of love!

Only time will tell on how good the resurfacer is. But is definately not like a paint.

A good portion of my time since taking the car off the road has been buying parts in preparation for this and getting the right tools together.

I consider myself very fortunate to be able to do all this, and yes it is addictive.

I just bought a pro flaring tool to do a steel fuel line on my Mustang which now has me eyeing up fuel and brake lines everywhere with a manic glint. I cant even imagine what Matt has in mind for his new 20T press, probably motivated now to pull hubs and drive shafts for the sake of it. The right tools are the best tools which usually means expensive tools so it is never going to be a cost effective pursuit for your average DIY hobbyist, really rewarding though in a masochistic vein.

Lol. The 20T press is serious overkill. I didn't really have a frame of reference as to what I needed. So I bought as big as I could on a particular budget. It's not the best press in the world but it will handle everything that I need it to.

I think my brother was more excited about it than me.

Agree a good tool makes you life easy but they can be hard to justify for sure! I have an engine crane I bought (used at least) maybe a decade ago!? Used once or twice at the time, now I'm not sure if it would work once uncovered.

Matt seems to have room (probably a hermetically sealed one! :D) for some nice bench tools at the least, to tackle the more niche jobs or ones where the timing saving is huge because of said tool.

He did offer me up his media blaster so I should probably take him up on that when I get round to doing my stock turbo pipes refresh. I think he'd hold his hands in despair at the state of my engine bay - well perhaps most of the car bar the interior! so I'd have to turn up in something else!

The offer still stands Scott. You're welcome to use it whenever you like.

Kev - I'd recommend getting thier cleaner too. I was very good at removing dirt and grime off the plastic, even after I had cleaned it with a solution of G101.

I also sanded my spoiler before spraying. I think Andrew did the same. I just ensured I finished it with a 1500 to 2000 grit wet sand.

Edited by mwilkinson (see edit history)

That active spoiler setup is looking awesome now it’s been fully refurbished, great job.

It’s been a year since i sprayed my active spoiler blade with the Eastwoods plastic resurfacer and I can honestly say it still looks like it did the day i first did it, hasn’t faded at all, no chips. I did use the Pre painting prep cleaner as it was recommended on the video clip I watched about using this stuff, you are correct I did sand my spoiler blade as well like you did with different grades of fine wet & dry emery paper.

I found this stuff different to paint also and I’m tempted to do other parts like your on about as the blade came out so well.

I must invest in a electroplating kit so I can start refurbish parts like that, been looking at getting a kit like this for quite some while now but just kept putting it off! Think my minds made up now after seeing what you’ve done with it.

• mwilkinson changed the title to Project Procrastination