The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Geo's Engine Build - The Rebuilding of a Prime

Geo

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

defo will be aero is my first choice, and will be stock bodied, after having the black ridox id love to go that route again but there is too many now, same as the ccw wheels. been doing lots of research as to what id like, iv got the wheels picked out already, keeping them a secret, NO one has these :)

Probably end up being the same ones i get LOL

So today after i did some wedding stuff with Lins, she was doing house work, so i did some Engine work, only fair eh?

Anyway i got this done with some em, nasty surprise!!!!! :eek:

Main cap bolts cracked and removed(1&2) sheered yes sheered and we're left in the block(This was following the book), uh oh time and bucket loads of swearing. After i calmed down, and a quick phone call to hodge, i managed to turn both predtruding bolts and get them out the block, thank God, PANIC OVER!!!

SON OF A.................

Ohhhhh Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuurrrrrrrrrrrrrkkkkkkkkkkk!

Geo1 bolts0

Main caps in Order they came out

Old OEM Bearings

Oil Squirters

Parts to be Tank Washed

Fully Stripped and ready to be cleaned

All Clean and Tidy, just need the block off the stand, and into Jeep to transport it along with other stuff to get cleaned

Now the rebuild Part Woooooohooooooo! :)

94.jpg

95.jpg

96.jpg

97.jpg

98.jpg

99.jpg

100.jpg

101.jpg

102.jpg

103.jpg

105.jpg

Edited by Geo (see edit history)

Good work mate, oh love the middle finger to the bolts little buggers:D

cheers bud, all the hard stuff is done now, wil take my time and enjoy putting it all back together better now :) hahahahaha yeah had to be done, couldn't believe it when it happend, twice was just taking the pisssss. lol

In God knows how many years stripping and building engines I have never seen main cap bolts shear when undoing them! How very VERY strange. You do know you turn them counter clockwise to UNdo them? ;)

first for everything i suppose :) strange that it was just one, book says do it over 7 passes, so 7 passes it was :) just as well there getting replaced, and i got the leftovers out.

OK so Engine goes to get cleaned tomorrow, i had one little thing to do prior to it going, was the core/freeze plugs. Lee/Hodge said to replace while i had the chance. So with a big flat head screw driver and hammer i smacked the life out them, to turn them on there side, then with some Grips wiggled them free. I had some emery paper so i cleaned up the holes and wiped with some WD-40.

Tbh they were easy to pop out, the bugger was when they fell into the black, i spend out 20mins wrestling with one to get it back out the hole. :rlol:

all set now for some loving :)

`07.jpg

106.jpg

So picked up the Engine today after it was cleaned, asked the guy to check how straigh it was. It came back that he had to take off 8 Thou of it, as it was warped, as you can see from the pics the shiney parts, and the circles. this was caused by over heating the old boy said. This kinda corresponds with when i was taking the water pump off the thermostat was crumpled inside, so it could have over heated at one point.

All nice and cleaned

Honing cleaned up the bores nice. I lubed them up with some oil to keep them from rusting, but the guys had all ready done it, but i was playing it safe.

Just need to order my bulk of the parts for the rebuild, to get the bottom end all rebuilt then wrapped up.

Sanded down the lower oil sump, took all the rust off back to bare metal, and cleaned it up before hitting it with primer, looks awesome now. Also painted the block now, WOW :drool: looks like it came out the shop :)

Block Painted

120.jpg

121.jpg

122.jpg

123.jpg