The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Geo's Engine Build - The Rebuilding of a Prime

Geo

Looking good, I absolutely loved stripping own the 2JZ. There were a few PITA to get to bits but on the most part it was pretty straight forward.

On the engine stand you are crazy not using an impact gun where you can. It's got nothing to do with strength, an impact gun will loosen off a nut on a tensioner without even being held. They are amazing for removing nut and bolts that would snap when force was directly applied. The knocking action of the impact gun knocks stuff loose, they aren't particularly torquey, in fact you could probably stop one from spinning with your hands. Puts a lot less stress on the fixings and saves a lot of grief in the long run.

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Great project mate.

Respect for doing the works by yourself. ;)

cheers dude, its actually really realy theraputic stripping it all, im loving doing it, im just taking notes as i go, along with keeping everything i take off. Not chucked anything out yet. :)

Great progress so far Geo. Well done. Im watching this with serious interest. Im sure this will be something special once finito.

I hope so dude, lol least i know it will have been built by me/hodge and input from people on the forum, so i know its been done proper, as this car will be a keeper, do it once, do it right :)

Looking good, I absolutely loved stripping own the 2JZ. There were a few PITA to get to bits but on the most part it was pretty straight forward.

On the engine stand you are crazy not using an impact gun where you can. It's got nothing to do with strength, an impact gun will loosen off a nut on a tensioner without even being held. They are amazing for removing nut and bolts that would snap when force was directly applied. The knocking action of the impact gun knocks stuff loose, they aren't particularly torquey, in fact you could probably stop one from spinning with your hands. Puts a lot less stress on the fixings and saves a lot of grief in the long run.

Me too bud, as above its sooooo theraputic, Only been one bolt thats caused me problems and that was the rear cam cover bolt closest to the firewall, that snapped with hardley any force on it, pretty crap imo. the rest we're just loosened with plus gas, the carefully cracked.

I do need to pick up a T55 Hex to crack the head nuts off. And also a good torque wrench bar, so that i can properly torque spec everything when rebuilding it all, so all advice on what one to get will be useful guys :)

Fair play for having a go yourself Geo! Will make it all that more personal when it's done :) Looking forward to seeing how you get on with it! Any thoughts about the car yet, or you waiting until the engine is done before you look into that in more detail?

Not worried aout the car yet, if one pops up that i really want, i'll see about it, just wana get the Engine basically ready to drop in, once i get the car. :)

Gona sit down with pen and paper and do a Spec that i want :)

You rebuilding your engine also bud?

Yes mate, when I can create some space in the garage! Only building it up as a spare for fun, already have a fully built block at Lee's for mine.

Subscribed to this. Would love to do this to my engine at some point in time (with a little guidance).

Any hints as to what spec/components the final build will have?

Just gathering some specs just now, so i'll get them up on the first page when i finalise them, im sure some parts will change, and will update to suit the build

not done much to the engine, as im stuck with doing anything until the crank bolt is off, so iv order this little bad boy, iv given it a good soaking in plusgas, to try and get it off easier. I've also loosened up the oil pan bolts, and cam cap bolts, gona drain the oil over wknd. I can't get into the timing belt tensioner to loosen it, as the crank pulley is in my way, and have no way to get a socket to it, and get leverage on it.

so its a case of waiting for my tool to arrive to start again. :)

35.JPG

So had a little shift in the garage today resulted in -

Tensioner off

Cams out

cam pulleys off

caps and bolts bagged and tagged

Garage Carpeted with crap carpet, makes its so much easier on the knees

Parts all stacked up bagged and tagged with nuts and bolts

New parts stacked

Hooverd

Swept floor.

Tensioner off

Top Dead Center (TDC)

Notches on cam with the nipple notches on Cam Shield lined up, cycliner 1 and 6 are up

always working from manual

timing belt loose

Getting cams out, had to use breaker bar as these buggers were tight and resulted in injury

Cams out, and caps bagged and tagged

Out to take head off

Cams outs

As she stands now

tidied up

Gathering parts

water pump

full gasket set

Arp rod bolts

Head will come off tomorrow or tues :)

36.jpg

37.jpg

38.jpg

39.jpg

40.jpg

41.jpg

42.jpg

43.jpg

44.jpg

45.jpg

46.jpg

47.jpg

48.jpg

49.jpg

50.jpg

51.jpg

52.jpg

53.jpg

55.jpg

Edited by Geo (see edit history)

• 2 weeks later...

So had an hour to spare today managed to get

Plugs out

Head Bolts cracked in sequence

Head off

Oil Drained

I got my crank tool holder delivered today, so gona try and get this beeeeeatch off, iv had a quick mock up and loks as though i could bend the stand or bolts that the long block is connected to. Would i need to drop the block on the floor to get more leverage ?

Oil Drained

Head Bolts

Plugs, looks like they've been in a while

One shiney Head :rlol:

Plug holes, pretty groggy in there

Getting there now. TDC top dead center, number 1 piston and 6 Engaged

Nice cover to keep all the crap out, courtesty of my Brother

So its a case now of getting the crank pulley off, which i aint looking forward too. Any tips are welcome as how to crack the git on a stand?

LMAO:rlol:

Loving the EDF energy FME cover Geo. Good to see it being put to good use.

That's who I work for. What station does your brother work at? I'm at Dungeness B.

:rlol:

wondered who would spot it?? lol getting another one for the head, least i know there good quality :)

Hunterson B or A no idea, one of them, haha