The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Geo's Engine Build - The Rebuilding of a Prime

Geo

Nothing much to do at the moment im waiting on a bucket load of parts arriving so i can start rebuilding it. today was only a small few wee things, but its these things that really bug me about old cars.

So today i sent the Crank Sproket away to get welded

Took Delivery of 400 Stainless Allen Key Bolts, these are gona come in very handy.

Assembled the lower Sump, bolts are finger tight, still waiting on Gasket sealant, before complete assembly

Fitted new bolts, they look so much better than the old crap that was on there

Also took Delivery of my Magnetic Sump Bolt

So as it stands a few wee things done, once i get mose of my parts its the bottom end fully rebuilt up. I'll get a Spec list with what im running on the first few pages of this thread, with costs

124.jpg

125.jpg

126.jpg

127.jpg

128.jpg

Edited by Geo (see edit history)

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You haven't siliconed that lower sump pan on have ya? It all has to come apart again to get the sump on dude.

nope not yet, bolts are finger tight, waiting on sealant arriving bud :) :thumbs: its all just a little mock up, i was bored

So while waiting for parts to arrive, and tubes of sealant and loctite to arrive thought id start about cleaning the carbon for the Pistons. The pistons we're actually in really good condition, then again we're still packed with carbon deposits, so 2hrs later all 6 pistons were nice and cleaned up.

129.jpg

130.jpg

131.jpg

Call me a noob, but why wouldn't honing the block and re using old pistons (with new rings) work?

With the age of the engines these days, they may not be perfectly round, i'd expect new pistons and a rebore to make sure the bores are perfect.

While it's apart, and all that..

Thermal cycling, skirt and ring land wear, and fatigue stress means these old pistons will not be ideal for even use in a stock engine rebuild. It would be sheer madness to expect them to take kindly to being reused in an engine being prepared for a supposed 700BHP power level. A re-bore, and a plateau hone to size to match each individual forged piston, that's what it should really have. Power is made in the bores and head...

Thermal cycling, skirt and ring land wear, and fatigue stress means these old pistons will not be ideal for even use in a stock engine rebuild. It would be sheer madness to expect them to take kindly to being reused in an engine being prepared for a supposed 700BHP power level. A re-bore, and a plateau hone to size to match each individual forged piston, that's what it should really have. Power is made in the bores and head...

Cool, do you do that work chris? Or recommend someone who can?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Well had a good weekend building the Engine up, learned a lot from Hodge, so here we go with the Pics and what was done.

Spec -

OEM Pistons/Rings/Rods all checked with clearances balanced

ARP Rod Bolts

ARP main bolts/washers

crank balanced

Clevite Bearing set

6 OEM Oil Squirters

OEM Core plugs

PHR modded oil pump

OEM Water pump

O-Rings/OEM Gasket Kit

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ObedEr5Jvjg

Head Fully Stripped, bagged and tagged pics later, im done in :)