Geo's Engine Build - The Rebuilding of a Prime

Geo

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice progress Geo :)

:thumbs:

Geo have you decided which CP you are going to be re-installing, nice work getting her torn down this far bud.

thanks bud, honestly not thought about it yet, im too caught up in the tear down first, along with getting it pretty much prestine for the rebuild, once thanks on track i'll look at spec list, :)

Not sure how easy that's gonna be to crank the crank pulley on the stand mate, I did mine before I took the block out. Having stripped everything off my block, some of the bolts were pretty tight and when using a bar I could see the block move a bit...And those weren't as tight as the CP!

Might be worth sticking a couple of old tyres or something under the block to support it as Kaan said

Nice progress :thumbs: It's rewarding work doing it yourself at your own pace.

When I had to remove my crank pulley with the engine on a stand I took the advice of a member on here, removed the sump, oil pan and then chocked the crank with a block of wood to stop it rotating and used a piece of scaffold as an extension on my breaker bar to crack the crank pulley bolt off. I had a pretty hefty engine stand though so I didn't have to worry to much about supporting the engine.

• 2 weeks later...

Right so, little update.

Had an hour today, so picked up an Impact gun Electric and hit the bolt numerous time with it, i hooked up the locking tool, then jimmied the breaker bar under the shelf in the garage, its sturdy as hell so i knew it was good to keep it locked. Then jammed the other breaker bar on it, and pulled towards me, i heard a faint crack, :eek: but knew the bitch was ready to pop, so i reset myself, took a deep breathe and pulled that sucker hard, BANG one cracked nut. woooohhoooooooo!

So all i need to do now, is get a pulley remover kit, to get the pulley off as its on tight. Next up with be to fulley pull out the pistons, and crank itself :)

68.jpg

69.jpg

70.jpg

Awesome.

at one point i was ready to use the bar phone to get you over, :rlol:

That came off nice and easy :) remember having to do that and had to make my own crank nut removal tool, what fun and games I had!

yeah the locking tool i bought is pretty handy, can be used either to lock in against subframe or used as a lever to 2 people required though.

You have big arms mate .... you don't need tools for that. :p :D ;)

pffffffft at one point i was ready to set fire to it, :) but i took a deep breathe and got it done :)

Had another spare hour today so managed to get off

Crank Pulley

water pump

timing belt

timing belt tensioner

cover

just need to remove crank sproket with some M6x1mm bolts now, i dont have any so wil pop to local shop to buy some, then pull that off with oil pump.

71.jpg

72.jpg

73.jpg

74.jpg

75.jpg

76.jpg

77.jpg

78.jpg

Nice work bud. That didn't take you long at all.

tbh its more of, if i have the right tool? would have taken me half the time if i have everything, suppose as i go along i build up the tools needed for the job, then big jobs turn into simple jobs :)

you still popping over at wknd? need to pull pistons, crank, and oil pan off, prob be messy

tbh its more of, if i have the right tool? would have taken me half the time if i have everything, suppose as i go along i build up the tools needed for the job, then big jobs turn into simple jobs :)

you still popping over at wknd? need to pull pistons, crank, and oil pan off, prob be messy

Aye, I'm always up for mess.

I used a pry bar on the back of the oil pump geo, took some wiggling but crank sprocket are off pretty easily

yeah i could do that, but knowing my luck id damage something, i'll go with the m6x1 bolts, and use the pulley tool like i did with the crank pulley to pop it off.

Well today i managed to make some good progress -

Crank Sprocket off, M6x1mm metric bolts about 70mm if anyone needs to know?

Front and Rear Crank Seal Out

Oil Pump out(must be a pig doing it in the car)

Flipped over lower sump off

then upper sump off

and Internals of sump out bagged and tagged.

This just leaves me with pistons and crank to pop out, which i'll get to over the wknd, as im away 2 days with work now. But im defo getting there now, soon as this is done i'll get the everything put in a tank and washed and cleaned ready for paint. :)

Pulley tool for crank sprocket, m6x1mm 70mm long

Front crank seal out, with all bolt for oil pump.

Lower part of sump off, what a mess with oil when i turned it over on stand, mop up was required, lol

Real crank seal

Gubbings out

Oil Pump Off

Upper lower sump off

As she stands now

79.jpg

80.jpg

81.jpg

82.jpg

83.jpg

84.jpg

85.jpg

86.jpg

87.jpg

88.jpg

Edited by Geo (see edit history)

Ive not read the whole thread mate but what you thinking in terms of body? keeping stock or having a kit?

defo will be aero is my first choice, and will be stock bodied, after having the black ridox id love to go that route again but there is too many now, same as the ccw wheels. been doing lots of research as to what id like, iv got the wheels picked out already, keeping them a secret, NO one has these :)