The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Style's 6spd NA-T - CCW's

Style

Car is booked for mapping on Saturday! :D

Decided to swap out the injectors for some bigger 650cc ones. With the new setup the mapper should be able to up the boost a little more to around 14-15psi I reckon. The standalone should be able to handle the timing spike around 4.5k RPM. Hoping all goes according to plan and lets see what an unopened 2JZ-GE can handle. I'm wondering if some head bolts are needed at this stage or if I'll get away with it for now?

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Cheers guys, looking forward to the weekend and seeing how the guys get on :)

This looks very promising! Who are you taking it to do the conversion and mapping? Look forward to seeing the results on stock compression. Btw what do you tell your insurance company? lol

The work was carried out be Checkpoint Garage in Arbroath, I know the guy who owns it's nephew and they've been great with the car in the past. Really know their stuff. He has a mapper who comes in and can tune the AEM units very well, he's known as 'The Dentist' in the Evo community.

Before I insured the car this year I explained my intentions to them and they gave me 2 quotes. So once the conversion is done they will just change the policy over to the second quote with the full conversion detailed. Only costs me an extra hundred bucks or so :)

• 2 months later...

Well unfortunately I missed the original mapping day due to a few problems with the injectors. The 650cc's that I was going to use were missing a plastic spacer and couldn't be fitted in time for the mapping date. The spacer then arrived and after firing it up on the base map a few weeks back the car was massively over-fuelling and sending out plumes of black smoke from the back.

So the 650cc's have now been removed and will be sent away for some cleaning and testing. I've had to go back to the 440cc's that I was originally going for and they ran fine on the base map. The mapper is a very busy man so mapping will now be the 22nd of November which is the first time he's been free since I missed that last date! It's been a long wait for the car but hopefully it'll be mapped and ready to go in the next few days. I went down and got some snaps of the engine bay so here you go. Please excuse the black and blue mix and match hoses, I wanted to go black throughout but the Whifbitz kit only came in blue :(

attachment.php?attachmentid=193876&stc=1&d=1415626274

attachment.php?attachmentid=193877&stc=1&d=1415626274

This is where the mechanic decided to stick the oil catch can. Never seen one down here before but think it looks the part to be honest. Shouldn't have too much effect on the intake to the air filter I hope!

attachment.php?attachmentid=193878&stc=1&d=1415626274

IMG_2655.jpg

IMG_2656.jpg

IMG_2657.jpg

Is that a Whifbitz catch can ? if so they are made to fit in a specific place and i would not of fitted it there as it looks like it will be very detrimental to the air filter receiving cool air.

If it was me I would look at some positioning to get the air filter as close to the headlight as possible

Is that a Whifbitz catch can ? if so they are made to fit in a specific place and i would not of fitted it there as it looks like it will be very detrimental to the air filter receiving cool air.

If it was me I would look at some positioning to get the air filter as close to the headlight as possible

Usually you bolt them catch tanks using the hole next to the Vin plate...? well thats usually the nicest looking place

It is the Whifbitz one yeah. I've just looked at Monkey's build to see the placement he had and you're right Rob, top left at the VIN plate. I've got my alarm speaker and a fusebox for the CarPC built into that area so I can see why it wasn't put there. I'll have to do some re-wiring to free the space up once I get the car back and get it moved. I would have liked to have the filter further forward but will do for now

Looking good mate :)

Cheers Tony, glad Bane's all sorted and running beast mode now! :)

Looking good mate. I'm a little warey of that catch tank though. Is it not meant to sit above the head line?

Cheers big fella :)

You think above? I would've thought below as it'll just gravity feed into the tank. Not something I'm clued up on really, was just my train of thought. If it was above would it not need pressure/a lot of oil to reach the tank?

Cheers big fella :)

You think above? I would've thought below as it'll just gravity feed into the tank. Not something I'm clued up on really, was just my train of thought. If it was above would it not need pressure/a lot of oil to reach the tank?

It's just the vapour that reaches the tank. Ideally you want the heavy oil to fall back into the engine rather than run down the pipes into the catch can. Only the hot vapour should make it's way to the can.

I'm not 100% certain though so probably best to ask the experts :)

It's just the vapour that reaches the tank. Ideally you want the heavy oil to fall back into the engine rather than run down the pipes into the catch can. Only the hot vapour should make it's way to the can.

I'm not 100% certain though so probably best to ask the experts :)

Ahh I see, makes sense.

I'll have a better look once I get it back see. If it's easy enough to relocate the alarm and fuse box then I'll just move it across to the tried and tested area :)

• 6 months later...

So believe it or not but the Supra is still at the garage with all the NA-T work.

Between the guy moving premises, running into a few problems with the build and being super busy (we agreed that he take my car on and work on it on the side when he's free) it's taken all this time to get to here. But it's very nearly together and will be mapped soon.

One problem was 2 of my leads arcing out, not giving a spark and running on 4 cylinders. The o2 sensor was picking up oxygen rich in these chambers and pissing even more fuel in so that ended up flooding the sump and smoking out the back. This was all sorted with brand new OEM distributor, leads etc in the end.

Problem 2 was a back pressure problem in the turbo, the fitting supplied was a bit on the small side and causing oil to pass into the turbine and compressor housing giving blue smoke out the back. I sent the turbo to AET where they inspected it and supplied a bigger return fitting. That seems to have solved that problem and alas, the car runs as it should! Over to the AEM mapper to get it running and we will be there at last.

On a brighter note, my CCW's arrived after I got bored of waiting for the car and ordered them last month! :D

attachment.php?attachmentid=201843&stc=1&d=1432905701

attachment.php?attachmentid=201844&stc=1&d=1432905701

It's been impossible to find a picture of these wheels on a Supra. Just seem to be stretched onto VAG and small JDM cars. So I got a mate to shop me up a rough idea of how it will look. Only difference is the neo chrome bolts I will have :)

attachment.php?attachmentid=201842&stc=1&d=1432905398

I've got a bunch of body parts in the garage and will be going for this look above along with a full respray. Looking to have aerial, wiper smoothed and I've got a plate flipper to go on to. So lot's to do and hoping to have it all done for the main summer events!

11355612_1138381446187363_1776321759_n.jpg

IMG_3627.jpg

IMG_3630.jpg

Those wheels will look great! :thumbs:

Looking forward to getting them on!

Very nice mate! And the best colour by far! Curious how long shipment was for the ccw's? As I'm waiting for some works wheels and I order mine about 5-6 weeks ago :)

Thanks mate, ordered them 4 weeks ago pretty much to the day. Thought they'd be a little longer but CCW surprised me there. Shipping was only 4 days according to the tracking!

• 2 weeks later...

Rubber all on at last!

Went for Michelin Pilot Sport 2's all round, 315/30 and 285/30

315's took a while to arrive, had to be shipped from Germany and now need to take the rears to another garage as the tyre supplier couldn't fit 11.5J on his balancing machine :D

Need a good clean up and polish before they go on and the center caps installed once the rears are balanced. Hoping to get the car back from the garage this weekend so I can drive it at last! I'll have it for maybe a week or so I guess before it goes to the body shop. Hoping I can get the arches rolled along with other things before the big shows come around :cool:

attachment.php?attachmentid=202164&stc=1&d=1433840448

attachment.php?attachmentid=202165&stc=1&d=1433840526

attachment.php?attachmentid=202166&stc=1&d=1433840526

attachment.php?attachmentid=202167&stc=1&d=1433840526

IMG_3649.jpg

IMG_3674.jpg

IMG_3676.jpg

IMG_3652.jpg

• 1 month later...

So I got the car in to be mapped yesterday. Unfortunately the nightmare with the car continues as there was bad detonation when building to higher levels of boost. Car runs perfectly up to around 4k and will start to misfire after that. Mapper thought spark was the issue and after doing some looking around I noticed that the plugs could do with being grade 7 instead of the 6's that came with the kit. So I've got NGK's on order and will have the map tweaked to the top of the rev range in 2 weeks. Also replacing the ignitor to be sure along with a new battery as it was beginning to struggle to turn the car over.

Little teaser clip of the Borg Warner coming on song for all you guys wanting to hear the Whifbitz NA-T :D

www.youtube.com/watch?v=xWi0MKTWk_o

Can't embed videos it seems :(