The mkiv Supra Owners Club

MattPs 98 VVTI Tiptronic Supra (Updated 13/07/2021)

MattP

Soooooooo its that time of year again where I go on holiday to Cornwall for a month so I have taken the past few days to clean the Supra with the help of my two minions.

while I was on I changed my chrome repeaters for some black ones aswell....

A great Victory.

• 5 months later...

Well its that time of year again the car has been in slumber since October and it wont see the road again until Summer April/May time so the next round of updates/maintenance can commence...

Just to keep track the following work some of you saw in another thread I will add here again for comprehensive record.

Following my Oil Pump pressure relief valve seizing closed blowing oil past a few seal the car had the following work carried out at the end of last summer.

The Oil pump relief valve piston had stuck closed and was scored to bits.

Additionally we found the hydraulic tensioner was dead....

And the crank sprocket had a bent and cracked tooth....

*New Crank seal front and rear

*New OEM Oil Pump

*New OEM Water Pump

*New OEM Timing Kit & Auxiliary Gates belts and OEM tensioner pulley.

*New OEM Tensioner Ram

*New OEM Crank Sprocket

*New OEM Crank Pulley

*New OEM Crank Pulley Bolt

*Various OEM Gaskets

*New Lower Sump (it had a small dent in it which annoys me from last year)

*Fresh Oil and Filter

*Fresh Toyota 4life Coolant

After having the above work carried out I went and did a few hundred miles to make sure all was well thankfully all went smoothly.

Edited by MattP (see edit history)

Update as of 17/01/2015

Let 2015 maintenance commence.

the car has been on trickle charge tucked away since October so I pulled the EFI fuses and cold cranked her to build some oil pressure then the moment of truth will she start.

*2 very short Videos Below

All went smoothly so I took the opportunity to move the car up and down the drive to clean off the discs and yes I did Hoover my old Garage Carpet haha.

Nice work Matt, the car looks lovely. Is that induction kit something you put on yourself? What is the wiring that is going to it? Does it make any noise?

Thats what the car came with from Japan its the HKS VVTI hardpipe kit the wiring and sensor is The VVTI systems Maf sensor they are not fitted on the Pre Facelift.

The Filter element itself is a 3 layer reworked version of the HKS original unit as they had filtration problems.

Sound wise it creates a slightly more aggressive tone to stock.

TBH if it had a stock airbox on import I would have been inclined to keep the stock unit fitted.

Really enjoyed reading through your thread.

The connecting pipes on the intake, and sprocket tooth were a bit of a shocker.

I bet its cost you a small fortune carrying out all that work.

Top effort and great thread for any owner, or indeed any prospective buyer too.

Really enjoyed reading through your thread.

The connecting pipes on the intake, and sprocket tooth were a bit of a shocker.

I bet its cost you a small fortune carrying out all that work.

Top effort and great thread for any owner, or indeed any prospective buyer too.

Much more to come I have some updates for later today to post up.

:thumbs:

As Promised here is my latest progress I decided to pull my UK spec brakes off and rebuild them with the following:

*Split And Powder Coat the Callipers Properly

*Chris Wilson Stainless Steel Pistons x12

*Chris Wilson Stainless Steel Pad Retaining Pins x8

*Chris Wilson UK Spec Gasket Set

*1x Full UK Spec Calliper Seal Kit

*Full Set of New Drilled/Grooved UK Discs (They offer nothing other than look aesthetically pleasing in for my driving)

*Full Set of Braided Brake Lines (Already fitted last year)

*Yet to Decide On What Pads To Go For..

*Dot 5.1 Brake Fluid as is Tradition

Anyway first I need to get the car on some stands and remove them so here we are...

Had a quick look at the dampeners etc while I was there thats next years Job though so moving on...

So today I got the callipers off and as my brakes were not in a bad state to start with I gambled taking them off without pushing the pistons out...

So I made an attachment to use with my compressor at low pressure to plug into the calliper and push the pistons out, and it worked a treat may I add im rather proud of myself haha.

The attachment I made screwed in the calliper at one end and with a Car tyre style valve on the other for the compressor to attach. (If you try this remember to place something like the old pads etc to stop the pistons flying out)

Fronts first then rears...

Rears....

So after a while I and allot of bagging and tagging various little parts you cant see in the pictures I completed my task of stripping them all ready for cleaning and powder coat....

The Pistons were in very good condition for 16/17 year old brakes minimal corrosion but obviously they will not be reused instead I will be using stainless pistons as opposed to these chrome plated Toyota ones.

Anyway moving on my next Job is to remove the whole dash as I bought a new one, the reason being the original dash came from Japan with a few tiny holes on the passenger side so out the seats and associated bits must come..

Thats as far I got tonight... :/

matt can you post a pic of the areas of the callipers that you will be masking. I have bought a set of UK callipers and ill be giving them to work for powder coating, I do not want to powder coat things that I shouldn't :)

Is that a pic of all your old bits taken off? If I get it to that state in your picture then are the callipers ready to be shot blasted and powder coated?

matt can you post a pic of the areas of the callipers that you will be masking. I have bought a set of UK callipers and ill be giving them to work for powder coating, I do not want to powder coat things that I shouldn't :)

Is that a pic of all your old bits taken off? If I get it to that state in your picture then are the callipers ready to be shot blasted and powder coated?

Il sort out a better list and pics for you tomorrow after I have another look mate.

• MattP changed the title to MattPs 98 VVTI Tiptronic Supra (Updated 13/07/2021)