The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Going single for £6000

craig l

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi jamie yes its a manual, robertg thanks for putting my mind at rest but i appreciate every bit of advice ive had good and bad cos most guys on here know a lot more and the car than ill ever do, ive had no experience with singles so ive went into this mostly on trust, i am a little worried after reading all the advice but hes happy with all the parts hes fitting and tells me not to worry everything will be fine. He did say itll be mapped to around 500bhp initially until i get used to driving it cos it will be a big difference to bpu then it can be mapped again to about 650bhp.

Hi jamie yes its a manual, robertg thanks for putting my mind at rest but i appreciate every bit of advice ive had good and bad cos most guys on here know a lot more and the car than ill ever do, ive had no experience with singles so ive went into this mostly on trust, i am a little worried after reading all the advice but hes happy with all the parts hes fitting and tells me not to worry everything will be fine. He did say itll be mapped to around 500bhp initially until i get used to driving it cos it will be a big difference to bpu then it can be mapped again to about 650bhp.

His not exactly going to tell you to worry :D

Good luck fella, as you are in the process already all you can do is keep an eye out and make sure all the work is backed up with paper work. I am sure it will be fine as others have said as long as it is fitted properly and also mapped properly. You have an army of people on this forum with a wealth of knowledge to help you so don't worry. The best thing you can do is read up and make sure you are armed with knowledge so then you know exactly what you need to look out for and what questions to ask.

Good luck :)

Chris, reading back what I initially wrote, I will have to apologize for my tone. I didn't mean it that way ;)

However I truly believe that the Syvecs didn't save the autobox, but the tune did. If it was an AEM or whatever ecu tuned with lower torque for the box, it will be the same.

Chris, reading back what I initially wrote, I will have to apologize for my tone. I didn't mean it that way ;)

However I truly believe that the Syvecs didn't save the autobox, but the tune did. If it was an AEM or whatever ecu tuned with lower torque for the box, it will be the same.

No offence taken - I was just getting my point across.

Lets agree to disagree ;)

Not sure what other ecu's can do but what Chris was saying was that the syvecs can reduce the max torque setting to a lower more user friendly fig on gear changes which is what made the box last longer than if the full torque was being applied all the time on gear changes

650hp would require running a GT35R at 2.4+bar which even on a brand new stock engine would really be pushing things to the limit and beyond, on a higher mileage engine it will only end one way, with a big bill to rebuild the engine. If you want a fast and reliable car for everyday road use my advice would be to get it mapped to no more than 1.4-1.5bar, which should be good for around 550hp.

Edited by Nic (see edit history)

You guys are aware that there are other ECU's other than Syvecs that are just as good, same as there are many garages as good if not better than the traders on here, stop worrying this poor guy to death!! This place turns into a proper mothers meeting sometime:p Ask yourselves WHY Dave Greanlaughs RIPS built Skyline had the Syvecs taken off and basically a (link) Vipec fitted ?? BECAUSE thats what the mapper is comfortable with, now bear in mind this same car blew up with a Syvecs and an Engine built by one of the best RB engine builders in the country !!! Theres more than 1 way to skin a cat and a lot of skinners capable of doing it.

Also bear in mind I reccomend a Syvecs for MOST cars;) However that doesnt mean I wont use my stock ecu to hit over 800hp:taped:

No one's disagreeing with you Dude. The OP has wisely come on here asking questions about this single setup he's buying, and has stated that it's being mapped by someone that no one on here has heard of. Of course no one is going to recommend that.

Well proven alternatives have been suggested, using trusted club traders. Surely this is a good thing?

Chris i have a clean licence i live on the east coast not taking he proverbial [GRIN][/GRIN] the temptation to go single without spending a fortune proved too great, even though i drive it like a granny i had to experience owning a single or id have regretted it forever. I had planned on selling it and buying an rs4 audi but ive owned it for 7 years with no problems its cost me very little so i couldnt let it go.

Thanks nic ye he did say it would be mapped to 1.4 bar and no higher, all i want is a drivable reliable car with a bit more power than bpu cos it rarely goes above 30 mph.

I think you'll be surprised just how quick it feels compared to a BPU stock twin, the GT35R spools up quickly and give a good broad, useable power band. You're going to need a good set of tyres and good suspension setup to get the power down, RLTC would also be a good idea.

I have falken 452s on it just now which aren't that great in winter and with my driving style i wont be throwing it about its never been redlined in 7 years, ill consider the suspension once i see how it feels, and he did say itll be mapped to about 500bhp until i get used to it.

Chris i have a clean licence i live on the east coast not taking he proverbial the temptation to go single without spending a fortune proved too great, even though i drive it like a granny i had to experience owning a single or id have regretted it forever. I had planned on selling it and buying an rs4 audi but ive owned it for 7 years with no problems its cost me very little so i couldnt let it go.

I was only jesting with you but for sure the days of it costing you very little are now at an end :)

No one's disagreeing with you Dude. The OP has wisely come on here asking questions about this single setup he's buying, and has stated that it's being mapped by someone that no one on here has heard of. Of course no one is going to recommend that.

Well proven alternatives have been suggested, using trusted club traders. Surely this is a good thing?

Its the whole if SRD/PW/ME/CW doesnt build it and its not mapped by Ryan etc thing. Poor guy came on chuffed to bits and you lot shot him down and made him doubt what he was doing and the whole if its not Syvecs thing !!!! Call the tech guys at Link etc and ask em direct, you will be surprised BUT Ryan has developed the syvecs and mapped loads ect and they can be plug and play but they ARE NOT the be all and end all even though its what i recommend, do you think the other companies dont watch what each other is doing, what would you guys do if god forbid something happened to ryan ???? MOST of the reason the SYVECS is so good IS BECAUSE of Ryan and his availability if he was gone and no one could map the Syvecs as well would it be anymore the ECU to have IF say another mapper came along said NO guys use this ECU and ha dthe same success as Ryan and was as available as he is to you guys. Some motorsport ECUs will make a Motec and Syvecs look like a casio !!!!

Thanks dude ;) i did think i was getting a good cheaper single build and was looking forward to the results and i do have some doubts now cos i know very little about single builds. But i do appreciate all the advice and maybe if id asked earlier before my engine was out the car i might not have went ahead with it, but all going well i hope things work out ok.

Thanks dude ;) i did think i was getting a good cheaper single build and was looking forward to the results and i do have some doubts now cos i know very little about single builds. But i do appreciate all the advice and maybe if id asked earlier before my engine was out the car i might not have went ahead with it, but all going well i hope things work out ok.

Have you totalled the parts etc as for the AEM im pretty sure theres a few guys in the US running 8's on them and from what ive seen they are more than capable, amazing how if you had come on and said how much to single you would have been told from 10-15K and trust me ive seen $200 manifolds last as long as $2000 full race ones so 10 ebay ones seems a bargain ;) As for XS power the first jap car to run a 7 sec 1/4 mile in europe was sponsored by XS power and ran XS power turbo and manifold and NEVER had a problem !!!!

Its the whole if SRD/PW/ME/CW doesnt build it and its not mapped by Ryan etc thing. Poor guy came on chuffed to bits and you lot shot him down and made him doubt what he was doing and the whole if its not Syvecs thing !!!! Call the tech guys at Link etc and ask em direct, you will be surprised BUT Ryan has developed the syvecs and mapped loads ect and they can be plug and play but they ARE NOT the be all and end all even though its what i recommend, do you think the other companies dont watch what each other is doing, what would you guys do if god forbid something happened to ryan ???? MOST of the reason the SYVECS is so good IS BECAUSE of Ryan and his availability if he was gone and no one could map the Syvecs as well would it be anymore the ECU to have IF say another mapper came along said NO guys use this ECU and ha dthe same success as Ryan and was as available as he is to you guys. Some motorsport ECUs will make a Motec and Syvecs look like a casio !!!!

The "poor guy" handed over £6k of his hard earned, without knowing exactly what he was getting. With your experience of the motor trade, you must realise what an incredibly naive thing to do that was? And it's early days for this particular install. Don't you think it is prudent to make the OP aware of potential issues?

I really don't see what the issue is in recommending club traders over unknown parties? Surely this is just common sense? Yes, the OP may well end up with a fantastic car in the end, but we're purely speculating.

We should be encouraging inexperienced members to be buying tested parts, and to be fully aware of what it is they are getting. Remember, the OP started this thread asking for opinions on what he has done, and that is exactly what he has been given.

I really wish the OP the best of luck with this, but I would never in good conscience recommend that anyone go about a single install in the way he has.