The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Going single for £6000

craig l

I have to agree with RobertG, especially on the Syvecs part. It's a great ecu no doubt, however most people on this forum don't even need a Syvecs or a similar ecu.

A good piggyback or AEM v2 will be fine imo. Just get it tuned correctly by a reliable tuner.

Good luck Craig!

Ps: Craig check supraforums.com. Much more experience with ''basic'' ecu/piggyback setups, which have been proven for years.

http://www.supraforums.com/forum/showthread.php?710866-Standalone-or-Piggyback-for-daily-reliability

Edited by MK2 (see edit history)

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's not a case of fan boys, its just a case of "been there, done that".

Re the Syvecs, you'll wish you had one just after an engine lunches itself. AEM won't save it, Syvecs gives you a hell of a chance with the trips. Many a 2JZ have been saved because of many reassons. Reasons that a lesser ECU wouldn't be able to cope with.

Hey, it's your car, your money.

It's not a case of fan boys, its just a case of "been there, done that".

Re the Syvecs, you'll wish you had one just after an engine lunches itself. AEM won't save it, Syvecs gives you a hell of a chance with the trips. Many a 2JZ have been saved because of many reassons. Reasons that a lesser ECU wouldn't be able to cope with.

Hey, it's your car, your money.

This!

Im sure the Syvecs saved dads stock autobox, I don't think a piggyback ECU would do that!

As far as I'm aware, Syvecs is the best thing since sliced bread :D

The syvecs is a great ECU however we must remember before it came along the world of supra's didn't crumble.

Dude on here ran many moons ago a 10 sec 1/4 mile on a SAFC!

The emanage has been used fine also for many years, standalone ECU's are now in a price bracket more people can afford so if you can afford to buy the ayvecs then do it if not its not the end of the world by any means.

The syvecs is a great ECU however we must remember before it came along the world of supra's didn't crumble.

Dude on here ran many moons ago a 10 sec 1/4 mile on a SAFC!

The emanage has been used fine also for many years, standalone ECU's are now in a price bracket more people can afford so if you can afford to buy the ayvecs then do it if not its not the end of the world by any means.

There's a good reason piggybacks are nicknamed 'signal fudgers' ;) they're okay, and are capable of doing a basic job. But why not save a bit more, and get the peace of mind?

I think we are being unfair to piggyback ECU's here, they do more than a basic job and fair enough they don't have the resolution the standalone ECU's do but then not everyone wants all the BHP they can get out of an engine.

My point is for many years people have run them and they have been fine, this sort of stuff was said about the AEM when it first came out and was an established ECU then it began to fail on some cars and people avoided them, i've had most ECU's and now run a Syvecs with every sensor so i can see it from every point, only because he hasen't got or isn't going for a Syvecs isn't the end of the world and doesn't mean he car is doomed to fail.

I'm in the middle with this, nothing against Ryan and i know the syvecs is very good but I've seen this time and time again with a favourite mapper and a type of ecu. went through it all with dave rowe and motec, many years ago as the best thing since sliced bread.

I'm not a fan of piggyback units but as long as it doing the job properly then i don't see the issue. some are saying why take the risk.....what risk?

In my opinion it all depends on whos doing the mapping and what you intend to use it for. Me personally i'm using an apexi power fc, yes some will say simple in comparison to the syvecs but i paid £600 for mine and seeing my car is a road going useage i guarantee you won't be able to tell the difference between the 2 in that situation. yes on a track with swapable maps and controlling everything you've never thought of its like night and day. Which is why i said it depends on the usage.

In my experience with the other makes of toyota I've dealt with i actually find the power fc gives the best daily driven car than any other ecu. mainly because apexi were the only company to crack and copy the Toyota base map to its ecu. Remember toyota spent thousands of hours on that thing to get it perfect, then its just a case of tweak for the application. where as you take something like link or motec and the boring stuff like partial throttle, cold start and all those bits the mapper might have a pre-made base map that they spent possibly a day on at best. Then everything else in both cases is full throttle stuff.

Just my opinion.

Tim

I'm in the middle with this, nothing against Ryan and i know the syvecs is very good but I've seen this time and time again with a favourite mapper and a type of ecu. went through it all with dave rowe and motec, many years ago as the best thing since sliced bread.

I'm not a fan of piggyback units but as long as it doing the job properly then i don't see the issue. some are saying why take the risk.....what risk?

In my opinion it all depends on whos doing the mapping and what you intend to use it for. Me personally i'm using an apexi power fc, yes some will say simple in comparison to the syvecs but i paid £600 for mine and seeing my car is a road going useage i guarantee you won't be able to tell the difference between the 2 in that situation. yes on a track with swapable maps and controlling everything you've never thought of its like night and day. Which is why i said it depends on the usage.

In my experience with the other makes of toyota I've dealt with i actually find the power fc gives the best daily driven car than any other ecu. mainly because apexi were the only company to crack and copy the Toyota base map to its ecu. Remember toyota spent thousands of hours on that thing to get it perfect, then its just a case of tweak for the application. where as you take something like link or motec and the boring stuff like partial throttle, cold start and all those bits the mapper might have a pre-made base map that they spent possibly a day on at best. Then everything else in both cases is full throttle stuff.

Just my opinion.

Tim

I should think any experienced mapper like Ryan has a few thousand hours put into his own base maps by now. :)

Granted there are standalone and piggyback ECU's that will run an engine perfectly. However it's outside context problems like fuel lines splitting or an oil leak, that they cannot compensate for, or not as thoroughly as others.

I myself will be going with a modern, proven and most importantly currently supported ECU like Syvecs.

Each to there own really, I was only using the power fc/toyota basemap vs aftermarket built basemaps as an example.

I guarantee you regardless of who it is they will never have put as much time into building a basemap for a car than the manufacturer. And its so much easier to tweak a map that's done in this way than it is to build once from scratch.

This is just coming from 15 years experience in the field, like I said not having a dig at anyone or slating one over another, just saying different usages of the car can have a different approach. After all he's only wanting about 600bhp.

Tim

I see yet again that my crappy EMU can't run my car, despite having done so sweetly for nearly a decade :rolleyes: I guess it'll have to carry on limping along, stalling, smoking, lightly exploding at the first sign of boost, and barely idling or whatever the hell else it is that people* seem to think 'signal fudgers' act like :yawn:

I didn't think it was the responsibility of the ECU to shore up poor maintenance/parts choices.

*with no experience thereof

I think we are being unfair to piggyback ECU's here, they do more than a basic job and fair enough they don't have the resolution the standalone ECU's do but then not everyone wants all the BHP they can get out of an engine.

My point is for many years people have run them and they have been fine, this sort of stuff was said about the AEM when it first came out and was an established ECU then it began to fail on some cars and people avoided them, i've had most ECU's and now run a Syvecs with every sensor so i can see it from every point, only because he hasen't got or isn't going for a Syvecs isn't the end of the world and doesn't mean he car is doomed to fail.

Good post.

I have also been running my car for over 5 years on an AEM, it has never had anything but abuse and still goes well.

It is always like this - fan boys jumping on the band wagon of 1 product or trader.

Yes the syvecs is a superior ECU but that doesn't mean others cannot run a car well.

I have also been running my car for over 5 years on an AEM, it has never had anything but abuse and still goes well.

It is always like this - fan boys jumping on the band wagon of 1 product or trader.

Yes the syvecs is a superior ECU but that doesn't mean others cannot run a car well.

Agreed. I've been a long time reader on this forum, however I've been an active member on supraforums.com for years.

I won't go as far as fanboys, but over here there are a lot of people repeating others. Craig just check SF for much more experience with budget setups.

There are plenty of builds over there which have proven themself for years, ran 9s or at the roadcourse and still running fine.

And Chris, saying the Syvecs saved your autobox is the biggest bs I've have read in a long time. No one is doubting the capabilities of the Syvecs ecu, but in the end it's all in the tune. If you blow up an autobox with an AEM or any ecu you just went too far pushing it's limits.

I don't think anybody is doubting an ECUs ability to run a car. It's the Syvecs ability to save a car that is it's USP in my eyes. Throw in the very good boost control, traction control, active knock control, UK support and data logging, and it soon becomes worth the money. It's as close as you can get to an insurance for the engine, IMO.

I don't think anybody is doubting an ECUs ability to run a car. It's the Syvecs ability to save a car that is it's USP in my eyes. Throw in the very good boost control, traction control, active knock control, UK support and data logging, and it soon becomes worth the money. It's as close as you can get to an insurance for the engine, IMO.

This is the reason i went for Syvecs because of the ability to sense trouble looming and potentially save the engine before it gets damaged. There are other great units out there that work just as well. At the end of the day it's all about personal choice and what you are looking for from a tuned car and how far you are willing to take that car in terms of power.

car and its gets mapped on the road can this be done as accurately as a rolling road mapping.

That statement would have me running from the hills. I've mapped cars on the road that show a vast improvement on the arse dyno but actually a drop in power on a real dyno.

The main reason the Syvecs succeeded is because of Ryan. If A.N Other mediocre mapper had come along with this system it would have gone the way of AEM.

Lyndon.

Edited by Nodalmighty (see edit history)

I'm not sure why people are doubting the Syvecs choice? In a 600hp turbo road car, you're going to want it mapped by an experienced and capable mapper, with whatever ECU choice they recommend. With Syvecs, not only are you getting the extremely desirable safety margin, you're also getting first rate customer support. The extra cost is offset, when you take features such as boost control and traction control into account. Hell, it can even be setup for cruise control.

NO piggyback offers all of the features, and unless you're mapping yourself, the overall savings aren't amazing. I've had E-manage, HKS, Bosch and Motec ECUs in other cars, and would would happily use these again. But I'd prefer Syvecs as it just offers that bit more peace of mind, that it is endorsed (well, owned by) one of the best rolling roads in the country, and probably the most respected Supra mapper.

As I've said in a previous post, I wouldn't consider AEM. I know that many use it successfully and reliably, but the horror stories would always be gnawing away in the back of my head. Such worry spoils car ownership.

I seem to remember a bit of excellent advice that used to be banded around this forum - chose your mapper, let them choose the ECU.

Edited by j_jza80 (see edit history)

And Chris, saying the Syvecs saved your autobox is the biggest bs I've have read in a long time. No one is doubting the capabilities of the Syvecs ecu, but in the end it's all in the tune. If you blow up an autobox with an AEM or any ecu you just went too far pushing it's limits.

Ryan capped the torque on the mapping session, He did say that one day the gearbox will die. But it lasted over a year, I have a friend who has a similar setup to my dads. He has been through 2 autoboxes in around 6 months because he's not running a Syvecs. He is running a E-manage ECU I think or maybe a AEM. The advantage of the Syvecs is it limits the torque on the autobox and drops all the torque on the gearchange and feeds the power and torque back in when the gearchange is complete. The reason I said it saved the gearbox is because eventually when the autobox was on its last legs which was around a month ago it used to shortshift on kickdown. Now I personally think that's the Syvecs helping protect the gearbox for as long as possible. It helped save the stock autobox which is only really capable of handling BPU power. But we had 607bhp and 560LBFT going through a stock auto controlled by the Syvecs ECU for over 1 year.

I believe the AEM can also limit the torque on shifts with the auto box as ryan mapped mine in 2007 and did just that. Heat will kill the auto box before much else.

As ive said the syvecs is great but it is not a must and you can live with a single running a piggyback I.e Ian C and Dude and myself etc and it isnt dangerous or likely to blow up.

I believe the AEM can also limit the torque on shifts with the auto box as ryan mapped mine in 2007 and did just that. Heat will kill the auto box before much else.

As ive said the syvecs is great but it is not a must and you can live with a single running a piggyback I.e Ian C and Dude and myself etc and it isnt dangerous or likely to blow up.

Im just getting my point across , after being told Im chatting total B******t.

No-one has said its not capable to run a single turbo supra without a Syvecs, Because you can. Its been done plenty time before, and is still being done today.

I think its more down to the comfort and reliability the Syvecs gives you over other brands.

Edited by Chris Bailey (see edit history)

Also the fact that the traction control is better than having an older standalone system like racelogic with it all being integrated in one ecu..With talk of fanboys etc its like a bloody vag owners club show all the polo gays hating the civic drivers. The ECU's all work its about how deep your pockets are versus the need of the user end of surely.

Im just getting my point across , after being told Im chatting total B******t.

No-one has said its not capable to run a single turbo supra without a Syvecs, Because you can. Its been done plenty time before, and is still being done today.

I think its more down to the comfort and reliability the Syvecs gives you over other brands.