The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Going single for £6000

craig l

He did say £1200 then said it was £900 i do have a question that concerns me as i dont know much about it, as for the mapping he uses a guy he trusts and says is very good i asked about the rolling road which he says hed put his wheels with bigger tyres on the back of my car and its gets mapped on the road can this be done as accuratly as a rolling road mapping.

Run awaaaaaaaaaay!

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you duplicate his engine with his ecu and injectors, fuel system, blah blah, it should be near as damn it correct on his original map, maybe just a few runs on a dyno to reassure yourself all is safe. But if he's supplying cheap secondhand junk even at £2000 it's no real bargain. Secondhand tubular turbo manifolds in particular can be huge trouble if cracked, or repaired. As soon as you said he uses it for drift *AND* Time Attack I thought it sounded fishy, they are totally different disciplines. If you can call tearing the tyres off a car designed to have zero traction in front of a load of oiks a discipline, of course :)

Very good point but he drifts his car professionaly and has a sponsor so hes not some cowboy mechanic his cars been fine, but ill admit im slightly worried after reading all these posts. The reason ive never went single is because i couldnt justify spending all that money on a car that does a few miles a week and rarely goes above 30mph, so the chance to do it a bit cheaper appealed to me, i may regret it but i really hope not.

you really need to write down the cost of these parts bud

you might be paying more than it cost new? could be cheap fittings/lines/turbo/manifold/downpipe ect..... and not worth the 6k

you can go single cheap but you get what you pay for, this could be a cheap kit for all you know bud

you could be buying something like this

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TOYOTA-2JZGTE-2JZ-GTE-MK-IV-GT45-SINGLE-TURBO-TURBOCHARGER-FULL-FMIC-BOV-DIY-KIT-/170763403002?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&fits=Model%3ASupra&hash=item27c24abefa

:blink:

Edited by ashbuster (see edit history)

Thanks ive listed most of the parts hes using and he mentioned ages ago when i first asked him about his car he doesnt use cheap parts, if he has a sponsor for drifting hes not gonna use crap parts his car has to be running perfectly.

The parts can't be that good, if he specc'd it all, he'd have been more specific about the parts you were getting. I reckon you're getting an XS power manifold.

Good point about the thread i did want some advice about the parts to make sure the were a good make, he did say he couldnt remember which manifold it was but was bought from america, i do trust him and im sure its all gonna work out fine but as im writing this part of me is thinking shit what have i done.

Craig, we as a forum have seen a lot of traffic as a community, plenty of builds have ended in tears and we are trying to safeguard you as best as we can with our info, in this game, if it sounds too good to be true, then questions have gotta be asked and answered.

You need to stop relying on his "drift king"status and get down to the facts,

1) Get a list of the exact parts including manufacturers of said parts.

2) If these parts are really as nearly new as he claims, then ask for receipts (if he has not supplied these already)

3) what is the current condition of your own Engine?, I k ow you said he services it.

4) Have you budgeted for a Crank pulley and perhaps a Front and rear Crank seals, precautionary measure which could save you a nightmare.

5) Road mapping is never the most ideal thing to do, unless you guys are renting a track/air field. Rolling Road and a well respected mapper (AEM Mapper) should be recommended.

Sorry to come across a bit off, but it might save you a lot more Agro than you will receive from reading this.

Good Luck!

I was concerned a suspension set up used for drifting is almost certainly going to be totally unsuitable for road or normal track day usage. I disagree about the ecu. Whilst not state of the art the ecu is pretty competent on a manual gearbox single turbo 2JZ engine.

As it's now too late to change your mind I wish you good luck. Be sure to have the thing run on a dyno at varying loads for an hour or two, including a couple of full torque / power / deemed safe boost runs, before accepting it's done. Check for leaks, noises, idling and cold start issues. Also drive it yourself to see if it has any horrible drivability issues. An engine can be strong on a dyno, but a dog on the road, it's all in the map. A race engine will usually never be mapped for civilised road usage as it never spends much time at part throttle (if the driver's doing what he should be).

I'm sure Craig posted up expecting a bit of impartial advice, only to be berated and told your doing it wrong and that a certain someone is the only person that can do single builds/map reliably and that Syvecs is the best thing since sliced bread because of a few bells and whistles.

I know the mechanic in question and as far as I know he is perfectly reliable. I've drifted with him before and he seems a sounds guy and definitely knows his stuff about 2JZ's.

Craig, I'm sure all will be fine and you prove all the 'fan boys' wrong, good luck, I look forward to the results :thumbs: