The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Pulled over....again

Robzki

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Its a difficult one as its not really harassment, as said its only twice in a year, its his attitude and the fact that he seems to prefer to pull over lone females and upset them. He states the law in an overpowering fashion and seems to come over intimidating. Obviously I wasnt there but I know that it takes a lot to upset the missus. I mentioned to several people(a special officer being one of them) and they all tell me who it is before I tell them.

Its a difficult one as its not really harassment, as said its only twice in a year, its his attitude and the fact that he seems to prefer to pull over lone females and upset them. He states the law in an overpowering fashion and seems to come over intimidating. Obviously I wasnt there but I know that it takes a lot to upset the missus. I mentioned to several people(a special officer being one of them) and they all tell me who it is before I tell them.

Sounds like he's a coward who can't take on real criminals so picks on innocents.

The copper's attitude sounds a bit off. I defend most of what the police do because they have a very tough job with odds stacked against them when dealing with scrotes. But if your missus is as you described, I don't think she'd have been giving him a foul-mouthed rant when he stopped her.

I haven't read the threads posted by others (I spent too much time reading about poo-covered doughnuts) but read up on what the law requires re exhaust noise, and pass that info on to your missus so she can be polite but firm if she gets stopped again for the same reason. If you feel that's not enough, I'd go down to the police station for an informal chat to mention your concerns to the desk sergeant.

As j_jza80 said, overtly-modified cars can attract unwelcome attention. The car photos in your profile look fine but I suspect it's been modified from that (e.g. looks like you've got a standard exhaust in the photos).

Let's be clear, it's not illegal to fit an aftermarket exhaust *if* the exhaust conforms to noise and possibly other MOT requirements.

If it was me then I would print out sections of the road traffic act that he states and then just bring them up IF it happens again. A friend of mine who runs stretched tyres on wheels that poke out knows off the top of his head the section and sub-section that allows for it to happen, and I believe when used in a polite way then he said it makes them ease up on him. But I fear that in this guys case it might not help, If you complain or make it known that he was intimidating then it may help build a case against him aslong as other have complained in the same manner. There used to be a time that coppers couldnt have shaved heads and tattoos on display as this was intimidating.

Thanks Stevie :) I'm really not sure what the law is, there seems to be very conflicting info. Our exhaust would never be classed as ford fiesta quiet, but it is definitely understated. The missus drives like a granny, even the local special police officer who drives school buses has taken the mickey out of her as he has overtaken her at times. She rarely drives over 55mph and she is known for being polite and good natured. She has driven the Supra through every winter for the last 5 years come rain, shine, snow ice etc, so definitely isnt a girl racer. The car is an auto so always sounds like a pussycat.

Getting peed off as I'm getting it in the ear as she now refuses to drive it and has suggested selling it. She loves the car as she gets kudos from her students for being cool ;) he must have rattled her to make her feel this extreme.

Matt, thats the issue, if I could show her categorically that she was legal then she would drive it. But I really can't find a law that covers it in black and white with no room for argument. I am trying to find rules that cover imports etc but am struggling.

Matt, thats the issue, if I could show her categorically that she was legal then she would drive it. But I really can't find a law that covers it in black and white with no room for argument. I am trying to find rules that cover imports etc but am struggling.

Surely if it falls under standard road traffic act then it would be fine. Ill have a look and see what i can find. What are the main issues then ? Just the exhaust ?

Norfolk police have taken a hard line for a while over exhausts, I posted the PH links in members chat the other week. Take a look at what they say about it on their website.

http://www.norfolk.police.uk/safetyadvice/roadsafety/advicetoroadusers/howlegalisyourvehicle.aspx

Robski, hope you get somewhere with this, but if your force is getting away with what Norfolk appear to be getting away with then it doesnt look good! Concerns me greatly.

Your car is taxed, MOTd and insured correctly. If you cant drive it for 1 month, demand 1 month contribution. Obviously its just something to say rather that follow through with. Surely if there has been no complaints from public, you can drive it however is legal.

its not harassment by how many times he has stopped her, but the threatening attitude and character of the officer conducting his duty for the greater good of public interest is not acceptable

Norfolk police have taken a hard line for a while over exhausts, I posted the PH links in members chat the other week. Take a look at what they say about it on their website.

http://www.norfolk.police.uk/safetyadvice/roadsafety/advicetoroadusers/howlegalisyourvehicle.aspx

This bit for me "it only requires an opinion that the system is not standard and that it is noisier than a normal vehicle of the same specification." seems to leave some interpretation, due to the specification of the vehicle as for a modified car is the specification not the same asd another and by definiation what is normal ? As most supras run an aftermarket system is this not the norm ?

This bit for me "it only requires an opinion that the system is not standard and that it is noisier than a normal vehicle of the same specification." seems to leave some interpretation, due to the specification of the vehicle as for a modified car is the specification not the same asd another and by definiation what is normal ? As most supras run an aftermarket system is this not the norm ?

It's nonsense isn't it, what's normal? I guess they will say OEM is normal, anything else is not. I can't understand how they can enforce it though if it's not legilsation, but sure the policemen and legal guys on here will be able to fill that gap in.

It's nonsense isn't it, what's normal? I guess they will say OEM is normal, anything else is not. I can't understand how they can enforce it though if it's not legilsation, but sure the policemen and legal guys on here will be able to fill that gap in.

Yes very much nonsense as OEM may not be normal, surely a normal attribute, in this case the exhaust, is the majority of a type of attribute associated with the parent asset or group. There for would that not suggest that if over 50% of a group of parent assets had that attribute then therefore it is classed as normal.

If you apply the same nonsense to brake pads then you can really disprove the arguement, due to aftermarket pads performing in an acceptable level if not better then OEM 'normal' in an MOT test.

On an import, if that car had that exhaust on entering the country and was accepted in to the country by the authorities then surely it is legal and of an acceptable level, further disproving the nonsense as whats to say if its legal on that car which has passed an SVA and been excepted to be roadworthy it is not legal as a modification on a similar spec vehicle.

I haven't read the whole thread, but this happened to me as well, in Plymouth.

Same sketch too. A walk around the car, trying to pick up everything.

The exhaust was the main point then too, but I had an answer, by the book, for everything.

In the end, they made a petty excuse and left, once they realised I knew my stuff.

Get some print outs from the DVLA website reference the parts they have been picking up. Then you have paperwork stating facts, and they can do nothing, so long as you meet the criteria.

Thats the thing Jon, there doesn't appear to be definitive facts. It can be read anyway they like. I saw the thing about the Norfolk police. They are just the thin edge of the wedge. This guy gloated that he had impounded 7 cars in Plymouth the first time she was stopped. The 2nd time she was stopped she was just about to turn right into school when they put on the lights and siren. Rather than get very embarrassed for getting stopped in front of 1000 kids going into school and blocking up the car park while school buses were pulling in she made a split second decicion and pulled in at the next left 100yds on. She got a rollocking as they thought she was 'making off'. This was by different policemen but all 3 stops have been within 1/2km near the school and all within a year or thereabouts

Time for a drive around plymouth me thinks :D

I agree! I would love to turn back time knowing this thread, i got fined a year or so ago for my exhaust being too loud, they measured it on a field surface (not Tarmac as stated)

They put the probe about an inch away from my exhaust exit. (Not 50cm as stated)

Told me that the limit is 82db (when it was my 93 import NA supra should of been 99db)

Told me that the exhaust measured 138db...!

I agree! I would love to turn back time knowing this thread, i got fined a year or so ago for my exhaust being too loud, they measured it on a field surface (not Tarmac as stated)

They put the probe about an inch away from my exhaust exit. (Not 50cm as stated)

Told me that the limit is 82db (when it was my 93 import NA supra should of been 99db)

Told me that the exhaust measured 138db...!

A 3 inch n/a exhaust could easy be 138 db , my 3 inch tt was somthing like 110db with a bung which was good for track use until this year and I had to buy another exhaust so I still take it for a blast on track which is now down to 105db

Simples - go to a local IVA test centre and ask them to test it.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/iva-test-stations-and-privately-owned-test-facilities

If it passes that then happy days.

This test is designed to check the overall safety and standards of a car - used for kitcars. One of the tests is a proper sound test.

Thanks Pete, much appreciated. Think this may be the best option, better than going to the police station and asking for another scientific test anyway. Especially as the police station is right next to a very busy dual carriageway :)