The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Making money from a small investment.....

Jamesy

Me too. if it reaches 18,000 and holds on I think it will be time to take some losses! I think December is usually good for the Dow no matter how well it has done in the months leading up to it, Christmas bounce I think they call it

I was £10,500 down a couple of hours ago, I took a risk and doubled up on the bet , it went down a bit and I managed to crawl back £5000 and I jumped out, if it goes up to 18,000 I'm going back in, that's silly high, I'm sure it's going to take a big fall and I want in.

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was £10,500 down a couple of hours ago, I took a risk and doubled up on the bet , it went down a bit and I managed to crawl back £5000 and I jumped out, if it goes up to 18,000 I'm going back in, that's silly high, I'm sure it's going to take a big fall and I want in.

All the so called experts say there is a big fall in the offing, they will all be clever and tell us when after it has happened. Addict stuff though this spreadbetting; I have been backing the Japanese market since the start of the year, another losing trade to date

Are you doing everything long term? I go in and out all the time, sometimes two or three times in a day, just on my gut feelings mainly. two weeks is the longest I've ever been in on anything and the stress drove me mad, pulling out today was like lifting a huge weight off my shoulders.

Are you doing everything long term? I go in and out all the time, sometimes two or three times in a day, just on my gut feelings mainly. two weeks is the longest I've ever been in on anything and the stress drove me mad, pulling out today was like lifting a huge weight off my shoulders.

I try to place longer term trades with plenty of allowance for it going against me before it goes in the right direction. If I am in the office I try and day trade. The reality is I am equally capable of losing money on either and really quite good at that; I am amazed that given it is essentially a 50:50 chance of going up or down, you would have thought even if you guessed you would expect to get it right about half the time. I am living proof that isn't true.

About three years ago I took a stupid punt and made £20,000 in a month. That made me think I had cracked spread betting and it has funded a good deal of anxiety and stress ever since as I have steadily reduced it to about £5,000. No different to any other form of gambling, I just got my once in a life time winner early on.

When I have a short term trade going I cannot take my eyes off the screen. It is ridiculous but addictive.

I got into syndicated property loans a few months ago. Fixed term investments with a fixed return. My first was £25k loan for 12 months with 12.5% interest, the second is £35k with 15% interest, both 12 months long. It is all done through my solicitor, and it is guaranteed on the property so almost 0 chance of loosing it all. Just signed up to a new syndicate which earns 20%.

Best investments I've ever made, BUT you need a fair chunk of money to get in on them and you need to know the right people.

I appreciate its not very exciting, and I am not an IFA, but sticking money in Funding Circle is giving me a reasonable return.

Over the last two years I have been getting a steady 12.5% after all fees but before tax. There is an element of risk as you are lending to other small businesses but you mitigate that by spreading your money over a wide number so the failure of a limited number doesn't do too much damage. Whilst you never know what may happen in the future, to date in nearly three years I have had no defaults. By immediately reinvesting loans as they are repaid each month, you are creating some degree of compounding which is one of the key features of building returns.

Next year it is expected that these types of loans will be allowed into ISAs and SIPPs and that the market could grow from the current £1 billion to £40 billion in no more than a year.

I watch it all the time, and I get a good feel of what's happening, i set myself targets and I just go on what feels right.

I knew the German Dax was good at 9990, I backed it £20 a point, 40 min later I pulled out and made £520, if it goes back up today to anywhere near 9990 I will jump back in, I'm also waiting on the Dow, if it hits 17850 I'm jumping in.

Not had chance to do any day trading for a while, its addictive though when you get going :D

As I always like to keep my toes in though I am currently using the Zulu platform which enables you to follow other traders, ie the system trades for you, can be profitable unless you follow a complete numpty who makes some stupid decisions :lol:

http://www.zulutrade.co.uk/

I have mine linked to a FXCM account which is only used for this platform.

I got offered 15% discount on shares with my work through a scheme and jumped in with 5% of my wage. Halliburton then purchased Baker Hughes and the Baker stock jumped about 15%. Was a good little investment but I definitely need to do a lot of learning and reading before I venture any further afield

Not had chance to do any day trading for a while, its addictive though when you get going :D

As I always like to keep my toes in though I am currently using the Zulu platform which enables you to follow other traders, ie the system trades for you, can be profitable unless you follow a complete numpty who makes some stupid decisions :lol:

http://www.zulutrade.co.uk/

I have mine linked to a FXCM account which is only used for this platform.

I don't think I could do that, I'd rather be in control myself, just look at the Dow, for the last month 70-80% of people have been shorting it, but it's constantly gone up.

I don't think I could do that, I'd rather be in control myself, just look at the Dow, for the last month 70-80% of people have been shorting it, but it's constantly gone up.

It can work out OK as long as you research who to follow, you get daily and weekly statements showing you whats going on plus the zulu platform actually notifies you if the trading behavior changes significantly etc

You can also become a trader on there yourself and have people follow you, some of these guys have millions of dollars following them now and the traders earn commission from the followers ;)

I see what you mean now, I'd still rather do it myself but sounds like it might be a decent option for some, do the traders earn money no matter if you win or lose?

Dow is looking ok right now, few more points and I'm going to short it.

Wasn't Adnan on here involved is something like this? They earned commission regardless if I remember correctly

Working for a global Insurer involved in the large corporate unit, I see plenty of opportunities to earn big money all the time give the fact we have insider knowledge of forthcoming mergers and acquisitions given the compulsory need to arrange insurances before they are completed. The trouble is if I did "transact" on these on the stock market I would be shot and god knows what else. It has been tempting though.

Think I'll stick with the small spread betting.

I've still been trading forex, the yen pairs and gold have been trending nicely lately, I've found the dow too volatile to trade short term so only dabbled with that earlier this year, but if the majority are still shorting the way to cause the most pain is to keep pumping it higher, I used to try to find tops in the market etc but you're best off always going with the major move

Working for a global Insurer involved in the large corporate unit, I see plenty of opportunities to earn big money all the time give the fact we have insider knowledge of forthcoming mergers and acquisitions given the compulsory need to arrange insurances before they are completed. The trouble is if I did "transact" on these on the stock market I would be shot and god knows what else. It has been tempting though.

Think I'll stick with the small spread betting.

Could you not team up with someone wink wink, then split the earnings.

• 3 weeks later...
I want to buy some more shares, anyone recommend anything? Was thinking of buying a few grands worth of Afren?

You looking for long term dividend gains?

If so I always check out what other fund managers are buying for income based funds and then look at the history of payouts etc.

For example check out this link to see when and what divs have been paid http://www.iii.co.uk/research/LSE:NG./fundamentals