The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Making money from a small investment.....

Jamesy

I want to buy some more shares, anyone recommend anything? Was thinking of buying a few grands worth of Afren?

For a bit of punt check out XEL. Massive asset in the North sea but taken a pounding with the recent oil price slump. My money would be in longer term oil stocks right now, gotta go back up at some point.

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not had chance to do any day trading for a while, its addictive though when you get going :D

As I always like to keep my toes in though I am currently using the Zulu platform which enables you to follow other traders, ie the system trades for you, can be profitable unless you follow a complete numpty who makes some stupid decisions :lol:

http://www.zulutrade.co.uk/

I have mine linked to a FXCM account which is only used for this platform.

Opened a Demo account with £100k and followed 4 of the established top rated traders for a week and lost nearly £25k. Not something I'd want to do with real money unless I knew exactly what I was doing.

AIM has taken a real battering over the last couple of years especially miners and oil stocks. It's a market driven by sentiment and right now it isn't there. There's some seriously undervalued stocks around though so if you don't mind a long term buy and hold you could make a packet with patience. I've got money tied up in a couple that have taken a hit for no real reason. Unfortunately it's now a waiting game but that's the risk you take.

Opened a Demo account with £100k and followed 4 of the established top rated traders for a week and lost nearly £25k. Not something I'd want to do with real money unless I knew exactly what I was doing.

Research is key, some of the traders are right cowboys :D

For a bit of punt check out XEL. Massive asset in the North sea but taken a pounding with the recent oil price slump. My money would be in longer term oil stocks right now, gotta go back up at some point.

Anyone buy any XEL when i suggested it at 28.25 ? now 37.50. Over 30% in 2 days. not bad....

They still look good to go on now to me, will have a bit of read on LSE and might stick a grand on them.

I put a few quid on Empyrean energy and Afren a couple of days ago and they are both going up.

Im still day trading, the dow shot up 500 points in the last 24hrs and i missed it, i had a feeling it was going to shoot up but i didn't have the bottle to back it.

Anyone buy any XEL when i suggested it at 28.25 ? now 37.50. Over 30% in 2 days. not bad....

I haven't got any xel but i've had SOLO oil for maybe a year now, got an average buy of 0.35, not that much on it, maybe £500 or so, I missed closing and buying back in a 1.30 but i'm staying in for long term

I use IG for my spreadbets, very easy to use. As Jamie says, its not for the faint hearted, make sure you know what you're doing and play with the demo account first. I like spreadbets as there's no capital gains and it allows you to have leveraged positions, but it does mean you can possibly lose money faster than you would if you brought shares and possibly lose more money than you actually invested.

I haven't got any xel but i've had SOLO oil for maybe a year now, got an average buy of 0.35, not that much on it, maybe £500 or so, I missed closing and buying back in a 1.30 but i'm staying in for long term

XEL is one of my favorite shares, been following it for about 5 or 6 years. At present im hoping for a re-test of low 30 levels and then i'll reload up for the long term.

My best performing share was SXX, made about £20k on that 4 years ago whilst I was holiday in Vegas, was a nice surprise to come home too :)

• 2 weeks later...
XEL is one of my favorite shares, been following it for about 5 or 6 years. At present im hoping for a re-test of low 30 levels and then i'll reload up for the long term.

My best performing share was SXX, made about £20k on that 4 years ago whilst I was holiday in Vegas, was a nice surprise to come home too :)

Not bad!!! I've bought into XEL this morning and some more on solo, that's been up to 0.80 today

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
German Dax is looking really tempting to short right now, never been so high. What do people think?

Personally never play the Indices, they seem more random and too much can influence the prices than I can track.

Just for fun i'll track some of my trades in this thread. Oil stocks look tempting to me at the moment with a long term view, and hopefully make enough to by me a 911 Turbo this time next year... :)

This morning brought -

XEL @ 28p

GKP @ 36p

Dax looks great to short right now, crazy high. I'm having a break for a bit now though, stresses me out to much.

Yeah I know that feeling, I have to take a break every now and again, it can get really on top of you if you let it.