The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Whifbitz billet hybrid turbos - coming soon!!

Paul Whiffin

I just think that Paul hasn't had much free time to spend on this with opening the new shop and everything.

Further development is being carried out I think as he requested a set of TT turbos (in any condition) to use for this. I may be wrong though.

• Replies 276
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I suspect this is being quietly brushed under the carpet. ;)

I'm sure Paul is just testing and over testing different bits to ensure the best performance/quality of the parts,

He was looking for another set of used twins to modify last week so perhaps he's just testing different variations of the set up to see what's best.... After all we are a fussy bunch ;)

interesting, so what power could you expect on a bpu car from hybrids? im not looking for big power, my car is bpu, has veilside exhaust straight thru double decat, (cat fitted at the moment) walbro pump, hks plugs, boost gauge, fcd. think thats it, for my car is it worth the hybrids or stock tubbies, if my turbos ever go wrong that is. just out of interest really

interesting, so what power could you expect on a bpu car from hybrids? im not looking for big power, my car is bpu, has veilside exhaust straight thru double decat, (cat fitted at the moment) walbro pump, hks plugs, boost gauge, fcd. think thats it, for my car is it worth the hybrids or stock tubbies, if my turbos ever go wrong that is. just out of interest really

Don't want to hijack Paul's thread, just look at my build thread and you will see ;)

Right chaps, sorry for the delay on getting this information on here, I've been so busy setting up our new branch in South Wales, just haven't had any spare time unfortunately!

So basically this is where we currently are with the development of the billet hybrid turbos:

Mk1 billet hybrids:

The car was fitted with Whifbitz 264 cams, HKS Type R front mount intercooler, Asnu 800cc injectors with Whifbitz top feed fuel rail kit and a Syvecs ecu mapped by Ryan of course, so basically all the parts in place to produce good power. The first set we achieved 464bhp and just over 450lb/ft torque at 1.45 bar on the Dyno Dynamics at Surrey Rolling Road with Shell V-power. Running more boost just resulted in engine knock/detonation so we had to take ignition timing out and no extra power was gained. If the test car had an aftermarket inlet manifold fitted we might have gained another 20bhp or so perhaps.

This isn't quite as much as we were hoping for, but still pretty good for hybrids, we don't see many go above a GENUINE 450bhp and I don't think its really possible on pump fuel with the standard manifold and pipework, putting E85/methanol in is a different story of course.

We were also trying to cure the boost creeping issues you get with the Jap spec turbos which didn't quite work, with no restrictor ring they run at 0.9 bar creeping to 1.4 bar boost. With a decent ecu like the Syvecs you can run at 1.4 bar across the boost range though as you can adjust the wastegate duty to get around this problem.

Mk2 billet hybrids:

The Mk2 version will have the following changes:

1. A much larger wastegate fitted, 32mm or may be larger if it will fit in the housing, this hopefully should cure the boost creep to enable to be run with no restrictor ring.

2. The manifold will be receiving some heavy porting work this time, the Mk1 version only had the manifold "cleaned" up slightly. The ports on the standard manifold are tiny, smaller than the turbo itself so this must be a large restriction.

3. Different compressor wheel design, the Mk1 version spooled about the same as stock turbos which is pretty good seeing as they are much larger. The new wheel will make them spool even faster, hopefully faster than the standard jap spec turbos with any luck.

The first Mk2 version is being fitted to a Supra TT next week, this particular car is only testing out the boost creeping issue as its still running standard ecu/injectors so we cant fully test them to see if they make any more bhp/torque.

And I'm just doing a quote at the moment for another customer who wants to go with the latest version and that car will have Whifbitz 264 cams, Apexi Power FC so we can really test them out properly.

So they are actually available to buy now, just depends if you want to wait until they are fully tested power wise or not. At the moment we are quoting them as producing around 460-470bhp.

Any questions just ask.

Thanks

Paul

Hi paul. Do you know if the mines ecu would run these turbos sufficiently or would a new piggyback or stand alone be better with regards to getting the turbos setup propperly.

Gav

It'll probably be ok if the boost is kept low but I would definitely advise getting it checked once fitted to make sure the afr's are ok and there is no knock. Hopefully with the Mk2 version the boost issues will be fixed and they will run 1 bar on wastegate pressure alone, if not a restrictor ring will have to be fitted to control boost.

In an ideal world a mappable ecu would be the best solution of course, ideally something stand alone.