The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Whifbitz billet hybrid turbos - coming soon!!

Paul Whiffin

I can knock another £1500 off that :D

The days of the 10k single are long gone.

Lyndon.

I don't think it will cost that much if you do the work yourself, odviously depending on how much Paul retails the turbos for.

Assuming your car is already BPU:-

£2500 Syvecs supplied and mapped

£500 drop in injectors say 800cc

£150 Bosch 044 pump and filter

£60 colder plugs

Odviously the above is essential. Then you have the optional parts such as gauges etc etc.

As I say, all the above is depending on what mods your car already has. If you going from a bone stock car, then your looking at a lot more.

Edited by Nodalmighty (see edit history)

• Replies 276
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If one really wanted to invest in making the "ULTIMATE" Hybrid turbo installation there is actually alot of work and indeed alot of Money to be put down. needed to modify pleny of things on the exhaust side to remove the restrictions that adds to heat and backpressure. then for taking out more Power one would need to rewamp the pressure system that sits ontop of the turbos afair bit as you will loose lots of flow due to restricted pipes thats the main reson people buy a small single. less parts, less things to break simple install (bye bye 200meter of vacum hoose and lines and what not) however that said i would absolutly like the idea of a 500-550ish sequential setup. that would have almost instant spool and loads of torqe down low and a superwide powerband.

Not really as I know there is a gap that needs filling between standard turbos and single turbo, this "should" hopefully do the trick!

Paul there is a gap too on the w58 to v161/160 gearbox!

i bet lots of people would prefer to rebuild the w58 with strong internals than chasing the v160.

and having one set of those hybrids with a stronger w58.... forget the small single upgrade!!

I bet it would be the ultimate street Supra. :eyebrows:

i bet lots of people would prefer to rebuild the w58 with strong internals than chasing the v160.

and having one set of those hybrids with a stronger w58.... forget the small single upgrade!!

That would cost a lot of money unfortunately, a lot more than a V160. I would have thought the best bet would be to use a gearbox from another car, like a 350Z for instance, these handle 600bhp no problem and are readily available. A conversion kit would have to be manufactured of course.

That would cost a lot of money unfortunately, a lot more than a V160. I would have thought the best bet would be to use a gearbox from another car, like a 350Z for instance, these handle 600bhp no problem and are readily available. A conversion kit would have to be manufactured of course.

I've just been reading up on conversions. The ideal candidate would be the Tremec T56, but apparently they're physically too large to fit the Supras transmission tunnel. The 6 speed Audi 01E (as found in the Audi RS2, S2, S4, S6 and a6 2.5TDi quattro) can be had for around £250, and it presents the opportunity of a potential future 4WD conversion.

Other common, tough, cheap(ish), RWD gearboxes are those found in diesel BMWs.

But, it may be cheaper to look into buying R154s, as they're very common in Japan. Unfortunately, there's a perception that 6 speed boxes are generally superior to 5 speeds.

• 2 weeks later...

This 350 box has me intrigued, if they're easy enough to get hold of. Probably looking at a set of these hybrids next year as well as a new gearbox (roll on January 'bonus'...)

Would you have even a ballpark figure for the conversion kit for the 350 6 speed box?

It's called an R154 from a mkiii turbo ;)