The mkiv Supra Owners Club

How old were you when you bought your MKIV Supra?

Guest IWantASupraNow

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just after my 22nd birthday I got my NA and wish I'd kept it! Instead got a mortgage and couldn't stay away so got a loan out to get it... As others have said, you should wait. If you want a supra that badly you'll build up to it when insurance is cheaper.

I was 22 when I bought my N/A was 3.5k to insure with 1 NCB driving for just over a year. UK spec cars are cheaper to insure, as they are not imports, you shouldn't insure your parents on it, only for you to drive it as guinsy said that is illegal, best thing you can do is insure it in your name as you being the main driver then put your parents on as named drivers, this should help to bring it down quite a bit. How much you pay also massively depends on your postcode. You will defiantly need a full time job with one of these cars, I used to go through about £400 a month in fuel in my N/A used to do about 350-400 miles to a tank

I am interested to find out how many owners (sub 25) live with their parents and have plenty of disposable income?

I wanted all kinds of cars when I was 19 - 21 but I didn't have anywhere to call home so got my own place with some quality flat dick. I am now 38, no mortgage and can shop for cars all day. I think I would have regretted getting myself into serious debt at a young age as once you are in the red, it's hard to get out with interest charges, penalties etc.

The other thing to consider is pouring thousands of pounds into a car and getting it perfect to just sell it at book value when you neeed to buy a house and when kids come along. I can see a lot of miserable late 20's and 30's people on here in a few years.

Having it all now has it's consequences.

H.

I am interested to find out how many owners (sub 25) live with their parents and have plenty of disposable income?

I wanted all kinds of cars when I was 19 - 21 but I didn't have anywhere to call home so got my own place with some quality flat $#@!. I am now 38, no mortgage and can shop for cars all day. I think I would have regretted getting myself into serious debt at a young age as once you are in the red, it's hard to get out with interest charges, penalties etc.

The other thing to consider is pouring thousands of pounds into a car and getting it perfect to just sell it at book value when you neeed to buy a house and when kids come along. I can see a lot of miserable late 20's and 30's people on here in a few years.

H.

This! I've took the same view, given I'm not mortgage free but I've got the house and I know what I have to spend. I have deliberately waited to do any sort of major build with mine and considered not buying a Supra at all until this was sorted (amongst other business decisions)

The other side is make sure you have some sort of job security whether that's your own business or working for a company :)

Edited by Littler (see edit history)

19 when I bought mine.

As others have said though, you need money laying around for when things go wrong. When a car rarely goes wrong, it's expensive when it does. When they always go wrong, they are cheap. Supras are definitely weekend cars in my opinion.

I wanted all kinds of cars when I was 19 - 21 but I didn't have anywhere to call home so got my own place with some quality flat dick. I am now 38, no mortgage and can shop for cars all day. I think I would have regretted getting myself into serious debt at a young age as once you are in the red, it's hard to get out with interest charges, penalties etc.

H.

:yeahthat:

Sort yourself out now because you don't want to be doing it when you are 50!!

Though saying that it is your life so do as you please and hopefully learn from the mistakes of others :)

What H said (without the flat dick)

I have a modest job that brings in 1600 a month, then I get an extra income of 1000 a month. My wife doesn't work.

I have my own home and no mortgage. No student loans, only one credit card I pay off every month. After paying all the bills and the monthly stuff like food and petrol it can get tight. But I have savings to pay for supra emergencies.

For example I put the car in the garage recently. Expecting a 1000 or so bill. Car needed a head rebuild and new crank pully. Pluss other things I'm looking at almost a £3000 bill...

I was 22 when I bought mine tbh I wish I had bought it when I bought my Rex when I was 20 I wasted/lost a huge amount of money on the rex. over a 9k loss :( :cry:

But its been very tight on money for the last year or so, but now the missus has a decent job again, Rent (total waste I know but we cant get a mortgage at the min), household and family stuff are so much easier to deal with,

Don't underestimate how much stuff costs for these cars, just maintaining it never mind modifying it! Only a few month back I was thinking of selling simply because I couldn't afford to make the car what I wanted it to be, now things are on the up and things are looking much better but its been a long road til this point

22 and I was earning a decent wage for my age, compared to my mates, £1500 a month.

I don't own a house and I don't have kids so I am spending my money on a supra.

I also had no savings and I was £3000 in debt when I got a loan £6500 loan out for one.

I was paying debts off £500 a month as well.

Basically if you get a late supra in excellent condition you won't need a big chunk of savings. Especially if you maintain it properly.

There is a ridiculous amount of knowledge on this forum so if something does go wrong. As long as you can get your hands on some tools you can fix almost anything out of a months wage without screwing yourself over.

Edited by Twisted (see edit history)

I bought my TT when I was 20, still have same one and now 23. Went from a saxo vtr to my supra which was a bit of a jump in power but was awesome. I would save for one and don't spend all your money as they are expensive to maintain

Just got mine this week I'm 23 such awesome cars but if your gonna go from a corsa to a supra especially a tt be vet careful I went in an na 5 speed thought it was quick ended up buying a tt auto and the difference is amazing didn't realise how fast they were