The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Taking the plunge.... THE RESULTS

lewysdanny

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Before has already been done iirc

Depends on how it was done though. IMHO to do a real test of this you would want to do a baseline dyno and emissions test. I'd want to see three dyno runs before and after to check the repeatability of the figures. There's no point claiming 5% improvement in torque if the dyno varies by 3% from one run to the next :) Ideally the before and after would want to be done close enough together that there wasn't a massive temperature and atmospheric pressure change between the two, but the figures could be corrected for that afterwards (if the dyno doesn't do it automatically). The oil level should be checked before each set of runs to make sure it is exactly the same (crankcase windage robs more power than you might think).

For the emissions test, one test before and after would do but the car would need to be prepped for each test the same way beforehand. Letting it go completely cold and then warming it up as if it was doing a test for the MOT should suffice. None of this doing the Terraclean and then immediately sticking a sensor up the tailpipe while the engine is stinking hot business. :)

For fuel consumption I would want to see the car used as repeatably as possible for a full tank of fuel with the mileage being logged and the amount of fuel used being recorded at the pump (brimmed to start and then brimmed at the end to measure the difference). using the car as your daily drive / commute should be a good way of getting through a full tank quickly and in as repeatable style of driving as possible. Real world fuel economy figures are measure at very low speeds and loads, so going for a blat down the nearest private test track won't produce useful numbers. Mind you, I have a record of MPG for nearly every single tank full I have ever put in my Supra over 11 years of ownership and even those figures vary by about +/-3mpg from tank to tank, so again a big pinch of salt required there. The best way to do it would be to measure the injector duty cycle for a set speed / load point (2000RPM / 2bar BMEP is a favourite). Very steady right foot required :)

And a bore scope inspection before and after would be useful, but obviously a big ask :) As well as seeing the results first hand, there is a danger of getting a false negative if your engine isn't coked up to start with!

A big pain in the bum to do, but that's the scientific method for you! :)

• 5 weeks later...
see my thread

Just see your thread , so the results are bad then , but the case maybe like I said earlier in the thread if it did work it may have cleaned the injectors so now they may flow better and you may be running just slightly richer making less power , do you see my point?