The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Want to go single.

gavin.starr

Are you trying to imply that a manual NA is a better car than an auto TT?

no he is stating that he'd never have an auto and as a manual TT is so much more than an NA he is happy with having and ragging an NA as it fits in with his lifestyle and gives him the fun he needs?

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know people are going to say buy one ready done but i really want to do it my self. Ive been away from here for around 12 months as my engine got the death rattle and i couldnt be arsed wit the car any more.

I see it sat on the drive every day and its starting to make me feel sorry for the old girl. I have decided once my polo is sorted and off the drive I will have the space to work on my supra [GRIN][/GRIN].

I have a spare block complete with pistons etc.. But im thinking about purchasing one of the built engines that currently havent sold on here as a good base to start.

Im going to admit that i know bugger all about what turbo is best to use with what spec'd engine. Bugger all about anything about upgrading to single. I have good mechanical skills and would have no problem what so ever fitting the parts and fabricating things to fit etc... which is where Im going to try and keep the costs down a bit by doing it my self.

The trouble is i havent got the faintest idea where to start with regards as to which turbo and setup to run and what matches to what best etc...

I want to aim for 550 ish HP which i think is a resonable hp to go for. Im not after stupid power.

Like i said im thinking i might flog my complete straight block with pistons, crank etc... and put the money towards one of the built blocks on here.

Im ready for a slagging off and being told not to bother and to get some one to carry out the work for me but where's the fun in that. I want to learn and where better to do it than on here where there is a vast amount of knowledge and a great place for me to learn and get to understand things.

If any one can head me in the right direction of parts and a good setup to be used to gain a good figure. Good second hand parts come up one here so its possible it can be done to a somewhat budget.

Its going to ba a case of save buy save buy all the way through so its going to take me a while but its something i really want to do.

Any info would be massive help

Gav

Looking forward to watching the build thread mate..

There are lots of people who know these cars inside out here and know what to use and what to avoid if you get stuck

What makes you think you have to be in debt to build a single? also build it properly and you wont get no problems.

Probably because half of the people are not everyone is going to admit that though, I know of some people that you would think never act the big man but its all on tick up to there eyes in it even some that remortgage the house for it

I've seen a lot of comprehensive parts listings and costings before from people who've already gone single turbo, and they always come out around the 10k mark.

I've never seen any parts listings and costings from advocates of the el cheapo 3k single turbo conversion. Maybe if we finally did, all the holes in the build budget could be pointed out...

Probably because half of the people are not everyone is going to admit that though, I know of some people that you would think never act the big man but its all on tick up to there eyes in it even some that remortgage the house for it

Yeah i guess you might be right. Im no way rich but i dont have a house of my own and all what i earn is thrown at the car and not into a bank. everyone is different though, just some really harsh and nit picky comments thrown around and it makes my blood boil when people dont know what the hell they are talking about.

To the OP, pm me if you get stuck along the way and ill happily advise you on bits

I've seen a lot of comprehensive parts listings and costings before from people who've already gone single turbo, and they always come out around the 10k mark.

I've never seen any parts listings and costings from advocates of the el cheapo 3k single turbo conversion. Maybe if we finally did, all the holes in the build budget could be pointed out...

You would also prob notice how many single owners rate how good a TT BPU is too for the road. I know if i had to start again i would only build a TT BPU. The single is insane but cost stupid money, and the twins are even more but i hope the power thrill will be different/tame as oppose to just breaking your neck like a single does.

Yeah i guess you might be right. Im no way rich but i dont have a house of my own and all what i earn is thrown at the car and not into a bank. everyone is different though, just some really harsh and nit picky comments thrown around and it makes my blood boil when people dont know what the hell they are talking about.

To the OP, pm me if you get stuck along the way and ill happily advise you on bits

Well put mate , I know it makes me laugh when people think they can build a single for 3k good luck to them imo a death trap without brake upgrade,decent sized alloys and suspension , I am just about to do another 4-4.5k on just a ecu and clutch it does make me think christ I can buy a really nice tt auto for that but as you know doing things propper is not cheap

What makes you think you have to be in debt to build a single? also build it properly and you wont get no problems.

There has been talk of debt hence me saying debt.

Defo don't agree with your other statement either, saying build it properly you will have no issues is like saying having a single conversion will create debt as you disagreed with.

Building it properly with quality parts will create less problems, not "no".

Edited by skippyboyo1 (see edit history)

I would never recommend a NA to anyone. I owned mine for 2 years and imo there pointless, no power in a supercar body! TT auto bpu is a lovely setup.

As you say it's in your opinion.

I've had loads of cars m3 m5 corsa Vxr Astra Vxr I can go on but the best engine I've had? The na supra.

Why? Reliability, that's the most important thing to me personally hence not going single or twin.

It's personal preference.

A tt auto may be a good set up but in certain circumstances it's not better over a manual na unless you no what the person wants from the car. Example, trackdays. If they do mostly track driving then a tt auto over a manual na is the wrong car.

There has been talk of debt hence me saying debt.

Defo don't agree with your other statement either, saying build it properly you will have no issues is like saying having a single conversion will create debt as you disagreed with.

Building it properly with quality parts will create less problems, not "no".

course it will eliminate problems! its tested throughout the forum!.. so your saying every single turbo build is going to fail regardless of the parts used?

I give up! lmfao

Read what I put again. I no you like to rant.

That's not what I said.

I hate ranting on a public forum especially as a trader but sometimes comments thrown about are ridiculous! the single members who have replied on the thread know what they are talking about or even members going through the build process now BUT people ignore our advise.

I hate ranting on a public forum especially as a trader but sometimes comments thrown about are ridiculous! the single members who have replied on the thread know what they are talking about or even members going through the build process now BUT people ignore our advise.

And that's the point of a forum, it's open for descussion by anyone trader or not.

Personaly i think It's unfair to tell someone they will have "no" issues when modifying a car from standard.

Yes listen to what people say especially the people that have been through the conversion but that statement is untrue.

Asking a car to deliver more power no matter what parts you use will create issues that it wouldn't have had when standard.

I'm not for one minute saying single is wrong however.

As you say it's in your opinion.

I've had loads of cars m3 m5 corsa Vxr Astra Vxr I can go on but the best engine I've had? The na supra.

Why? Reliability, that's the most important thing to me personally hence not going single or twin.

It's personal preference.

A tt auto may be a good set up but in certain circumstances it's not better over a manual na unless you no what the person wants from the car. Example, trackdays. If they do mostly track driving then a tt auto over a manual na is the wrong car.

Do you mean stock twins ? if so they are very realiable, I have owned 3 na's they are not bad but I found they drink near as much fuel as a tt so you might as well get a TT .

Also if you were talking a big track like silverstone I would have the tt auto it would leave a na manual ,round a small track would be a different matter.

Just to add my 2p, I think it really depends on what scale you look at issues, for example you could class not having the right tyres for grip as an issue with going single but you wouldn't class it as a major issue, where as if your turbo failed then you would class it as major off the road causing issue (so to speak lol).

Overall looking at what Rob has done for example he hasn't had issues once his engine had been completed and mapped, think the only 'issue' was the jspec brakes and him wanting more power :D

The people that have been there and done it know what works and what doesn't, some have learnt the hard way, this is why I like the forum you get the true user experiences. I'm collecting parts at the minute and the amount of questions I've asked the people that have done it is ridiculous but you always want to do it right. At the same time though you don't want to go into it with no back up cash so to speak, it's always better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it :)

Edited by Littler (see edit history)

The guy is after 500-550bhp thats not hardly nothing, use the best parts you can afford and you shouldnt get no problems! its simple. 500 bhp if nothing compared to what the aftermarket parts can handle so its going to be more than reliable if looked after. obviously stupid power will chew up shafts and blow gearboxes ect but there is still routes after the breakages to take! carbon shafts ect ect

Just to add my view here,

I'm currently going through the process of NA-T.

My budget isn't the highest and I'm not looking for immense power. I'm wanting around the 400 mark to make it inline with BPU.

Why single over just getting a TT lump?

Multitude of factors here, the outlay of a TT lump to find out it needs a rebuild, the difficulty of getting hold of one, storage space of an engine until I'm ready to drop it in.

I recently went out in Scott's(Gixer-81) T70 NA-T. The power delivery, noise and sensation was phenomenal and that's what I want out of it. I also want the experience of building my own car.

So far I've purchased a brand new precision TO4R for my build, an Emanage Blue, 7MGTE injectors and an Eaton Paddle clutch.

Some of my parts will be used, but it will allow me to get it setup and running.

I don't think contrary to a few people's views in this thread that everyone is against people building low budget Singles, Jamie P and Lee P both told me it could be done on my budget of £4k if I selected my parts carefully, built a kit myself and brought some second hand parts. I'm well on track with this. Jamie in particular was very supportive and offered me some good advice on this and even told me of a car he knew running XS power stuff that had been running it reliably for a while.

In truth, I know the forum is a wealth of knowledge and that other people know far more than me, and so I listen and take it on board, however, the test shall come when my car is built.

You have to remember for some people spending £10k on a car worth less than £10k for a 20% ish gain on power over a good bpu+ setup simply isn't worth it.

I have no interest in going single however if I was to do so, I'd spec it with good second hand parts for the most and fork out for the wearable items new.

Just to add my view here,

I'm currently going through the process of NA-T.

My budget isn't the highest and I'm not looking for immense power. I'm wanting around the 400 mark to make it inline with BPU.

Why single over just getting a TT lump?

Multitude of factors here, the outlay of a TT lump to find out it needs a rebuild, the difficulty of getting hold of one, storage space of an engine until I'm ready to drop it in.

I recently went out in Scott's(Gixer-81) T70 NA-T. The power delivery, noise and sensation was phenomenal and that's what I want out of it. I also want the experience of building my own car.

So far I've purchased a brand new precision TO4R for my build, an Emanage Blue, 7MGTE injectors and an Eaton Paddle clutch.

Some of my parts will be used, but it will allow me to get it setup and running.

I don't think contrary to a few people's views in this thread that everyone is against people building low budget Singles, Jamie P and Lee P both told me it could be done on my budget of £4k if I selected my parts carefully, built a kit myself and brought some second hand parts. I'm well on track with this. Jamie in particular was very supportive and offered me some good advice on this and even told me of a car he knew running XS power stuff that had been running it reliably for a while.

In truth, I know the forum is a wealth of knowledge and that other people know far more than me, and so I listen and take it on board, however, the test shall come when my car is built.

I still can not see the point of this a good tt bpu will probably beat a na-t less lag and more power out of the most the na-t builds I have seen , I do think allot of people get in a single car and hear a bit of wastegate and the power comes all in at once and get carried away.

There are so many nice tt's come up for sale for very good money these days I cant see why it would be worth messing around with the na if you just want 400hp.

I still can not see the point of this a good tt bpu will probably beat a na-t less lag and more power out of the most the na-t builds I have seen , I do think allot of people get in a single car and hear a bit of wastegate and the power comes all in at once and get carried away.

There are so many nice tt's come up for sale for very good money these days I cant see why it would be worth messing around with the na if you just want 400hp.

Because I want my car to be mine. It's a manual aerotop, I don't want a TT or I'd of sold up and brought one. I fancy a single aero manual and so that's what I'm building. I'm not interested in it being the fastest car out there or even close to it, I want the noise, the experience and sensation provided by a single with my roof off and shifting through the gears.

Because I want my car to be mine. It's a manual aerotop, I don't want a TT or I'd of sold up and brought one. I fancy a single aero manual and so that's what I'm building. I'm not interested in it being the fastest car out there or even close to it, I want the noise, the experience and sensation provided by a single with my roof off and shifting through the gears.

Can't argue with that, best of all worlds and a reliable setup that you've built :thumbs:

Fair enough I guess everyone has something different they want out of the car for me its speed over what it sounds like.

Can't argue with that, best of all worlds and a reliable setup that you've built :thumbs:

Time would tell with how realiable it is I went to buy a converted tt aero 5spd on here it put me off when the owner said its on its 2nd w58 box because it was tt bpu power.

Edited by chazuk (see edit history)