The mkiv Supra Owners Club

I Really have lost the love -

Geo

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll still be here, not going anywhere, i've met some great friends through the club, its not just a car club imo its a place for Car enthusiasts to chit chat and show there cars. :D

Totally agree with Geo here, its the members that make the forum great not what car they drive, as an example of this one of my favourite recent threads on the forum is Jamie's JPS building services which obviously has nothing to do with cars, I personally like to see a bit of variety on the forum and the GT-R's make a welcome change.

I can't ever see me getting rid of my supra but I guess anything is possible, I'll take mine off the road every winter and have it as a summer toy, I still love it as much as the day I bought it, having said that I am not in a financial position to be looking at buying a GT-R so I try never to look at them too closely or desirabley :D

Good luck with the new car when you get it Geo, looking forward to seeing a new build thread to go with it.

Edited by tomgeer (see edit history)

Im giving this forum 18 months and i bet its shut down. SO many supra's being broken/sold. Shame

I really hope not, I've just bought the car in question ;)

I've paid lifetime membership, bought this so I can build a street demo setup and have been working extremely hard to gain a reputation between the members and branners to try and become a trader on this forum and integrate the supra into my business.

I've been lurking around for about 6 months now, just getting to know the place but now I've actually found a car I hope I can attend a few meet and put names to faces.

This car actually feels like fate, when I decided to move from the mr2 and into the supra world this car was the first one I saw and was set on buying. Speaking to jurgen but missed out putting a deposit down by 1 email. I asked a spec and he didn't get back to me (it was late), he replied first thing in the morning but by the time I got in from the workshop and saw the email Geo had snapped it up. So to hear its come back for sale after the looking around and saving i was doing does feel like its meant to be :)

Tim :)

I really hope not, I've just bought the car in question ;)

I've paid lifetime membership, bought this so I can build a street demo setup and have been working extremely hard to gain a reputation between the members and branners to try and become a trader on this forum and integrate the supra into my business.

I've been lurking around for about 6 months now, just getting to know the place but now I've actually found a car I hope I can attend a few meet and put names to faces.

This car actually feels like fate, when I decided to move from the mr2 and into the supra world this car was the first one I saw and was set on buying. Speaking to jurgen but missed out putting a deposit down by 1 email. I asked a spec and he didn't get back to me (it was late), he replied first thing in the morning but by the time I got in from the workshop and saw the email Geo had snapped it up. So to hear its come back for sale after the looking around and saving i was doing does feel like its meant to be :)

Did you used to be in worcs jap club a few years ago by any chance?

i've never really been a big local car club kinda person but my mate did invite me to a few little meets, there was a couple of clubs going around at the time if i remember correctly but like most things alot of it broke up because of politics. Try not to get involved in stuff like that anymore just keep myself to myself these days.

If your thinking of the same person i had a Red (well slightly pink) lol mr2 turbo at the time. What did you drive? Actually PM me as its a bit off topic.

Mixed emotions mate, sorry to see you sell up but pleased for you that you will get to own another great car, and it will be good to get a good look at one.

As you say you might come back to it, with the GTR still likely to keep depreciating a fair bit, if it was me i'd have a shot of one for a few years and sell it to recoup most of the money back. Thats something gladly you dont need to worry about too much with a supra, as they tend to hold their value quite well.

Personally Owning a MKiii and then a MKIV supra was a life long dream that i was lucky to fulfill and i really feel like i will keep it until it gives up. I wasn't too interested in modding it when i first got it but because of this forum and the people on it that are so helpful and good natured that opinion has changed and now see the light with regards to BPU. It really is a great forum because help is always at hand, and that comes from guys who have sold up too.

As has been said a few times already, i've also had the car away this winter and last and it gives you a buzz to drive it again after being away from it for a bit :)

Sorry to hear this Geo! A tough descision, I know, having had to make the same one before! I imagine things may have been different should you have got the Yellow Monster before me ;)

I hope your wedding goes as good as it could, and that you get yourself a nice GTR for us all to look at! :D

shame dude. but you gotta do what feels right.

i have no idea how long i'll keep hold of mine - a week, month or 5 years lol :blink:

however i dont think i could stomach the huge depreciation coming for the GTR - if you can afford to lose that kinda money thats its cool but just for the ass to drop out the price over a short amount of time is too much fo rme to swallow. Losing money on a car through modifications is different becuase you are changing the car, making it your own, and will never claw that money back - but money for depreciation is a sickner!

one day, when they're about £15k :D

i have no idea how long i'll keep hold of mine - a week, month or 5 years lol :blink:

however i dont think i could stomach the huge depreciation coming for the GTR - if you can afford to lose that kinda money thats its cool but just for the ass to drop out the price over a short amount of time is too much fo rme to swallow. Losing money on a car through modifications is different becuase you are changing the car, making it your own, and will never claw that money back - but money for depreciation is a sickner!

It will never happen, they are worth to much in parts, I bet I could break a £40k car and still make money.

Mixed emotions mate, sorry to see you sell up but pleased for you that you will get to own another great car, and it will be good to get a good look at one.

As you say you might come back to it, with the GTR still likely to keep depreciating a fair bit, if it was me i'd have a shot of one for a few years and sell it to recoup most of the money back. Thats something gladly you dont need to worry about too much with a supra, as they tend to hold their value quite well.

Personally Owning a MKiii and then a MKIV supra was a life long dream that i was lucky to fulfill and i really feel like i will keep it until it gives up. I wasn't too interested in modding it when i first got it but because of this forum and the people on it that are so helpful and good natured that opinion has changed and now see the light with regards to BPU. It really is a great forum because help is always at hand, and that comes from guys who have sold up too.

As has been said a few times already, i've also had the car away this winter and last and it gives you a buzz to drive it again after being away from it for a bit :)

I had to think about my future with Lindsay here, with us getting Engaged all focus is going on that now. The car had to go basically we will be both saving for this. Times have changed when parents funded weddings for there kids etc, but i spoke to Lindsay about this and we agreed that we would foot the bill and not both sets of parents.

So in order to do this, the car had to go, as i know i would have spent a shed load getting it to where i wanted, i did have big plans for it, for instance the wheels i wanted were 2.5k thats alot of cash, not to go on the wedding.

Sorry to hear this Geo! A tough descision, I know, having had to make the same one before! I imagine things may have been different should you have got the Yellow Monster before me ;)

I hope your wedding goes as good as it could, and that you get yourself a nice GTR for us all to look at! :D

Thanks bud, for now im going to be carless except the company car, take a wee break from it, and then come back

Been looking about bud, and you can pick up these cars now for 35k. IMO i dont think thats expensive, i mean my brother has a brand new Scooby WRX STI @ 326bhp he paid 30k for that, another 5k and he could have had a GTR, but he likes his scoobys, were all different i suppose.

For me the car would be a daily/company car, so i get the best of both worlds, works pays for the car, i pay for the running of it its a no brainer really.

Sad to hear this, it looked a cracker too Geo!

I trust you'll still be about both on here and at meets when they happen? Be it in a daily, GTR or as a passenger :)

Yes mate, it just came out the blue really, Lindsay had no idea i sold it until she came back from working in Egypt. I'll defo still be on here, this place as been home for past 7 years, met really good friends and the banter is always 2nd to none. Will still be at meets, part of this great forum. :D

I had to think about my future with Lindsay here, with us getting Engaged all focus is going on that now. The car had to go basically we will be both saving for this. Times have changed when parents funded weddings for there kids etc, but i spoke to Lindsay about this and we agreed that we would foot the bill and not both sets of parents.

So in order to do this, the car had to go, as i know i would have spent a shed load getting it to where i wanted, i did have big plans for it, for instance the wheels i wanted were 2.5k thats alot of cash, not to go on the wedding.

Thanks bud, for now im going to be carless except the company car, take a wee break from it, and then come back

Been looking about bud, and you can pick up these cars now for 35k. IMO i dont think thats expensive, i mean my brother has a brand new Scooby WRX STI @ 326bhp he paid 30k for that, another 5k and he could have had a GTR, but he likes his scoobys, were all different i suppose.

For me the car would be a daily/company car, so i get the best of both worlds, works pays for the car, i pay for the running of it its a no brainer really.

Sad to hear this, it looked a cracker too Geo!

I trust you'll still be about both on here and at meets when they happen? Be it in a daily, GTR or as a passenger :)

Yes mate, it just came out the blue really, Lindsay had no idea i sold it until she came back from working in Egypt. I'll defo still be on here, this place as been home for past 7 years, met really good friends and the banter is always 2nd to none. Will still be at meets, part of this great forum. :D

My 2 pence worth is the love comes and goes for me. Just spent a fair chunk of money doing the clutch and a few small bits on mine, not drove it since beginning of October and am missing it a bit now, as I said in a different post I was looking through the pics of when I first bought mine and then saw a few recent pics and thought there is nothing that can come close looks wise for the amount of money it is worth...

But saying that 6 months ago I was totally fed up with it, wanted rid straight away to buy a cheap track car.

On the gtr front I keep looking at them, I dont like the front end on them, or the cost of parts/servicing, but as a car to arse around in they do look like fun. Went in Jurgens when it was about 600 and it was imense, the grip is insane.

But for a decent one with the stage 1 your looking close to £40k, for an extra £10k I could get a Lamborghini Diablo, or for the same sort of money could be in a supercharged Viper 730 bhp. Now Ive never been in either of those cars but Im sure they would put a smile on my face more. Maybe not in sheer performance but to say "I'll just go and get the Lambo" beats "I'll get the keys to the Nissan"...

But for a decent one with the stage 1 your looking close to £40k, for an extra £10k I could get a Lamborghini Diablo, or for the same sort of money could be in a supercharged Viper 730 bhp. Now Ive never been in either of those cars but Im sure they would put a smile on my face more. Maybe not in sheer performance but to say "I'll just go and get the Lambo" beats "I'll get the keys to the Nissan"...

lol

never realised Lambo's had come down so cheap!!!

It will never happen, they are worth to much in parts, I bet I could break a £40k car and still make money.

It doesn't really work or that though, you could say the same about loads of cars. Value is merely a measure of supply vs demand, there are plenty of GTRs around and so the value will drop. The knock on effect of this is that second hand prices for parts will fall in value, eventually.

However, I agree that residuals will remain fairly strong, but because demand, driven by image, performance, reliability and value for money (performance wise) will remain consistently high. Exactly why 6 speed TT Supras hold such a premium over 'lesser' Supras.

Ah well, best of luck with wedding, god knows everything suddenly becomes extortionate due to it being for a wedding. :shock:

Don't know if I could buy a GT-R without seriously considering some of the following, which in my opinion are much more special cars:

All within the £35-45k price range

Aston Martin V8 Vantage, Vantage Roadster, DB9 hardtop or DB9 Volante.

Audi R8

Bentley Continental

The 550 Maranello from Badboys 2.

Or the stunning looking Maserati Granturismo :drool:

Ah well, best of luck with wedding, god knows everything suddenly becomes extortionate due to it being for a wedding. :shock:

Don't know if I could buy a GT-R without seriously considering some of the following, which in my opinion are much more special cars:

All within the £35-45k price range

Aston Martin V8 Vantage, Vantage Roadster, DB9 hardtop or DB9 Volante.

Audi R8

Bentley Continental

The 550 Maranello from Badboys 2.

Or the stunning looking Maserati Granturismo :drool:

Dude, im 35 not 65 with those cars, with the exception of Masa, and R8 :p

I quite like the looks of them, it's the driving experience that wouldn't be able to keep me entertained. Give me a manual box and RWD all day. It's rather have a car that could bite and have to respect it than have a car where everything is pretty much done for you. What's next. Sit in the seat and it takes you for a drive?

H.

It's the driving experience people like with the GTR. I am a (somewhat long in the tooth) race driver who has run competitively at a pretty high level, in lots of different formulae, and it's rare for me to get frightened by a road car. I have to be honest though, and say some of you Supra guys are running around in some very powerful, but horribly handling cars. Folks seem happy to spend a fortune on body kits and bling, yet, either through ignorance of how a good handling, powerful RWD car should be, or through feeling spending money on things that don't show, either physically or on a dyno pratt out, is a waste, won't spend on making it handle right. I have driven loads of MKIV's with singles on that quite frankly handle appallingly. They give me the willies, God knows what they feel like to someone who cut their teeth on a front wheel drive hot hatch with the benign loss of grip they usually show. Jump in a modern powerful four wheel drive car like a GTR or Audi and it probably seems uncanny just how usable a LOT of power can be if it's matched to a lot of grip. I can see the allure, you can plant your foot out of a roundabout and not be clenching you buttocks waiting for the back end to suddenly break traction. You can come out of a T junction knowing you won't be facing oncoming traffic backwards with just that bit too much throttle. You are buying 20 years newer technology, developed at high cost by a major manufacturer. The Supra felt the same, 20 years ago. the game's moved on...

For those that like RWD (as I do, hell I am building a 4 WD Skyline as a 2 WD as it's lighter and simpler, with far less power losses), and for those that will go the extra mile and extra few grand on making the car's handling match its torque and BHP, the MKIV can still be a great car. For those that don't, and silently have that sweaty palms feeling every time they drive it in the wet or damp, tugging left and right on camber changes, stepping out unpredictably, breaking traction and regaining it instantly, jumping in a GTR can be an eye opener. Maybe even a life saver.

Edited by Chris Wilson (see edit history)

Dude, I'm 45 not 65 with those cars, with the exception of Masa, and R8 :p

:D

I appreciate the Bentley probably has an older demographic, but a Aston V8 Roadster would be seriously cool. Obviously nowhere near as fast, but what a noise.

Just thought you were looking for something a bit more mature, seeing as you are looking at a AWD AUTO for the next car. :p

:D

I appreciate the Bentley probably has an older demographic, but a Aston V8 Roadster would be seriously cool. Obviously nowhere near as fast, but what a noise.

Just thought you were looking for something a bit more mature, seeing as you are looking at a AWD AUTO for the next car. :p

:p