The mkiv Supra Owners Club

I Really have lost the love -

Geo

Sad times buddy . At least the car is going to a new home and not being broken !

GTR is an Awesome car ! But comes with an Awesome price ! Watching JP's thread requires a huge budget to do it right ! Good luck with the new car when the time comes ! A fast getaway car if needed

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

There's that much chat about GTR's on here lately I wonder if its Mkiv supra club at all anymore. With the amount of cars that have been sold or broken its starting to become a sad place to be. The loves dying all around imo.

:yeahthat:

ah come on, yes there are a few of the wealthier, never satisfied or fancy a change types moving on and perhaps there is a fair amount of talk about GTR's but so what. There have been loads of technically better and certainly more desirable by the general public cars produced since 1998 but they never bothered 'us' we just kept on with our Supra's?

All I see is the usual and inevitably lower and lower numbers of people willing to invest in buying and running a Supra just like there are for all older performance cars of every marque. Even in it's heyday the Supra has always been a niche' market with minimal numbers on the road it's arguable whether they were ever considered desirable as such by the majority of those in a position to buy one.

On Pistonheads the GTR often gets derided, there is more to cars than traction/grip/power/outright performance, to some the bang for buck the Supra and now GTR brings was/is the be all and end all, to others badge/prestige/mid engine balance/weight etc will be more important.

So some have moved on, some will later and is our ultimate destiny to be as lowly populated as the Mkiii and Aristo forums, well possibly so but why get depressed about it?

The big power Supra scene is IMO almost dead bar the very few enthusiasts, the money required takes you to GTR levels of expenditure with little if any power/performance gains. So in time it just leaves the hardcore/stalwarts with a real affection/satisfaction/appreciation for the car and/or a lack of will/desire to change to anything else. All the best to those moving on and trying new things, yes there is a knock on effect on here re activity and loss of characters etc but it doesn't unduly dampen my enthusiasm for the forum and certainly not for the car.

It's the winter blues making us all depressed I reckon! :D

Sad to see you selling up Geo as I was sure you were going to build another stunner, I totally get the GTR thing, Jamie's car at 600 was very impressive, I just know I would want to tune it and I know that is a whole different cost commitment, I have just spent about 20k to get a pretty poor TT6 to the right spec for me and I still love the look of a Supra, albeit it becoming quite Retro now, just a couple of days ago at Tesco a group (family) were having their picture taken next to it

Hope the GTR makes you happy, I think a 911 turbo or 360 Ferrari will be next for me, something I can not tune or mess with easily !!!

Plug and play Syvecs kit comes out for the 996/997 turbo in a couple of weeks, stock engine can handle a 1000bhp i hear ;)

ah come on, yes there are a few of the wealthier, never satisfied or fancy a change types moving on and perhaps there is a fair amount of talk about GTR's but so what. There have been loads of technically better and certainly more desirable by the general public cars produced since 1998 but they never bothered 'us' we just kept on with our Supra's?

All I see is the usual and inevitably lower and lower numbers of people willing to invest in buying and running a Supra just like there are for all older performance cars of every marque. Even in it's heyday the Supra has always been a niche' market with minimal numbers on the road it's arguable whether they were ever considered desirable as such by the majority of those in a position to buy one.

On Pistonheads the GTR often gets derided, there is more to cars than traction/grip/power/outright performance, to some the bang for buck the Supra and now GTR brings was/is the be all and end all, to others badge/prestige/mid engine balance/weight etc will be more important.

So some have moved on, some will later and is our ultimate destiny to be as lowly populated as the Mkiii and Aristo forums, well possibly so but why get depressed about it?

The big power Supra scene is IMO almost dead bar the very few enthusiasts, the money required takes you to GTR levels of expenditure with little if any power/performance gains. So in time it just leaves the hardcore/stalwarts with a real affection/satisfaction/appreciation for the car and/or a lack of will/desire to change to anything else. All the best to those moving on and trying new things, yes there is a knock on effect on here re activity and loss of characters etc but it doesn't unduly dampen my enthusiasm for the forum and certainly not for the car.

It's the winter blues making us all depressed I reckon! :D

Yeah your probably right. Good post.

i love supras and still do, but since i had my fix on the GTR 2007 and owning one since 2008.( i have been addicted ).

they are fantastic cars but i also agree that supra is one hell of a car and not dated IMO..

but the GTR once you have tried it will hook you..

one day i would love to have double garage at home and have a TRD supra and my GTR.

- - - Updated - - -

I think it's also worth noting, that a lot of the people who've sold their Supra's and moved onto another car are still here ;)

Myself included, not a well known member, but I sold my Supra nearly two years ago and I'm still knocking about the place.

this is by far the best car forum there is, make no mistake about that.

i love supras and still do, but since i had my fix on the GTR 2007 and owning one since 2008.( i have been addicted ).

they are fantastic cars but i also agree that supra is one hell of a car and not dated IMO..

but the GTR once you have tried it will hook you..

one day i would love to have double garage at home and have a TRD supra and my GTR.

- - - Updated - - -

this is by far the best car forum there is, make no mistake about that.

:yeahthat:

I drove a GTR hard on a track in August and it was phenomenal. Half an hour was good for me and I loved it.

Today I've spent over 3 hours driving my Supra, and fairly hard too.

There is absolutely no comparison for me on the grin and fun factor. The Supra wins hands down and for asthetics alongside power I would imagine the majority of the population agree.

I'll be here also so that's 2. Any more?

Me 2 mate, but without a Supra, i'm afraid... Huge taxes here, not so huge wages...

I agree, Sheefa . The GT-R lacks 3 things when compared to the Supra (apart from the manual transmission) : The amazing looks, the fun to drive and the SOUL. The GT-R has no SOUL or personality whatsoever. It's like powering up a PS3 and launching a game.

Thinking otherwise, if you want a newer, faster JDM with tuning potential up to par with the Supra, there is no alternative other than the GT-R is it... So got to understand the people making the move.

I've sold my Supra ( btw bought off this forum in 2008) a while ago due to high taxes here ( + family troubles with my dad passing away), i won't probably ever own a MKIV again, even though there isn't a better car for me and nothing else i would buy if i had more money. However, i promise to keep my membership valid until this will no longer be possible. It would be impossible for me not do my everyday browsing of this forum and see everyone chat.

This is surely still one of the most active car forums in the WORLD ! I love it, it's like you ask a question you get 10 replies in 15 minutes :) Do that on a another car forum...

Me 2 mate, but without a Supra, i'm afraid... Huge taxes here, not so huge wages...

I agree, Sheefa . The GT-R lacks 3 things when compared to the Supra (apart from the manual transmission) : The amazing looks, the fun to drive and the SOUL. The GT-R has no SOUL or personality whatsoever. It's like powering up a PS3 and launching a game.

This is surely still one of the most active car forums in the WORLD ! I love it, it's like you ask a question you get 10 replies in 15 minutes :) Do that on a another car forum...

Don't agree on the first post, not as mechanical as the Supra but still requires driver involved, granted the ass doesn't hang as well as a Supra!

On the 2nd statement, totally agree, few forums posses this level of activity. Best thing about this forum is a load of topics are non Supra related yet get some many responses so quickly!!

18 Months ! looks like I'll be here all on my own then cos mine isnt going anywhere in that time. Just look at how many active members there are.

Lol, Good to hear mate, I'll be here for a good while yet myself, just seems like the love has died down abit lately. Need to get cracking on my winter project and inject some love back here again.

Edited by SupraD06 (see edit history)

This is great club and always will be :) I've nearly had my GTR a year now and its amazing, and there is plenty of 'soul' in it! But more importantly it makes me smile every time I drive it as did the Supra tbh in the early days! The difference right now is in the Supra I would have to take it easy i.e. RWD and high power! However in the GTR the traction is just amazing in the winter.

The only thing I find with the GTR is that it is a bit boring when 'tinkering' is concerned :D The Supra was always in need of something but the GTR just works Lol :)