The mkiv Supra Owners Club

This T61 turbo any good ?

tengu

You miss the point ! I don't want to pour shed loads of cash Into a car ! finding in 5/6 years it owes me silly money ! i dont have the spanner ability like Hodge ! So when you add labour costs into building a car with top end parts the bills grow quickly !Rob you are lucky , you use it to promote your business ! I would hate to think the money that has gone into your car ! To make it the amazing car it is ! I'm not saying don't do it if you can afford it ! But don't feel guilty if you can't !

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You miss the point ! I don't want to pour shed loads of cash Into a car ! finding in 5/6 years it owes me silly money ! i dont have the spanner ability like Hodge ! So when you add labour costs into building a car with top end parts the bills grow quickly !Rob you are lucky , you use it to promote your business ! I would hate to think the money that has gone into your car ! To make it the amazing car it is ! I'm not saying don't do it if you can afford it ! But don't feel guilty if you can't !

At the moment, there's no better time for anyone to go single with teh number of engines/turbo kits around. The price could literally be halved.

yeah i do see your point mate but you can build a car on a decent budget nowadays, just look at the cars being broken, god knows what johnny twins cost him but at £2800 now im guessing he paid double that. same with my turbo kit and hodges ect ect. I do understand the labour costs though... my business has not paid into my car, its all out my own pocket which i always make clear to people who think the car has been done through my firm.... just all the work has... labour ect ect. So im in the same boat as everyone else and i think i can relate to everything when it comes to cost ect when going single

Edited by Rob_Mitchell (see edit history)

threads like this scare single wannabes off!

Good! Makes those of us dedicated to owning one part of a more exclusive group!! :D

...keep the standard turbos, enjoy what is already a fast car and spend the money instead on maintaining the car so it is in good working order - something that can cost an arm and leg in itself

:goodpost:

Again, I like that the high running costs of these cars means that - generally - they're not owned by Mr. Chav, even though the cars themselves can be bought for a real steal nowadays.

What makes you think they owe people £30k?? i think only about 4-5 cars on this site have done that.

Uh, I've spent SIGNIFICANTLY more than that over the years... Ahem. :hide:

You right if you have spare cash , the time is now to build a gr8 car at a fraction of the cost it should be ! I'm with you buying top end brand second hand car parts is loads better , for peace of mind more than anything else ! However spare cash for cars isn't always easy to get hold of ESP if you have children ! So for me it's still all about balancing what I can afford to obtain the maximum enjoyment !

WOW What a shit storm!!!

Sorry to those that I offended, it was not fair of me to generalise like that.

I was of the days when people who fitted XS power equipment had nothing but trouble and spend literally thousands of pounds only to find that the XS power manifold was made of toffee and caused them all sorts of problems.

I also watched the guys fit the XS power turbos and regret it hugely, they made for shit slow or really laggy cars. I have been out of the world for years so should have known better....it did spark a good debate though!

I am one of those 5% who have sunk more than the price of a GTR into my car and the last 2 times I used it I had nothing but problems. Sometimes its luck of the draw rather than what parts you fit - Money doesn't ensure a reliable car.

And I am also one of those that def DOES drive his car like a complete c**t and cannot understand why your wouldn't...build it to break it.

Thank you and good night.

I've rebuilt and serviced hundreds of turbos of all makes, KKK, BW, Ect Ect and in currently running a t61 masterpower turbo

The one I have I'd say compares with tolerance and build quality of the top brands

I think with the cheaper brands it's a bit of a lottery, but with my experience of machining and the rapid advances in Chinese, technology and quality improvements I wouldn't be surprises if just like with tyre brands that started out as budget "Toyo, falken" Ect that the cheaper budget turbos start becoming consistently good quality

Having said all that, I wouldn't bolt a budget turbo to an engine I couldn't replace relatively cheaply (NA-T engine = £150, TT-single engine £1500?)

Just my opinion, but I don't think people realise the actual difference between a lot of expensive items, and the cheaper knock-off versions of them. Of cause this isn't just about Turbo's, but they are of cause included.

I think people don't realise how cheap the likes of Turbo's actually are to manufacture, they aren't expensive, and they are fairly simple in the grand scheme of things.

The price of the well branded turbos mostly comes from, well, the brand. That and the fact that said brand has put a lot of money into developing and testing their turbos, increasing the price by quite a lot.

So when a cheaper company comes along and copies the branded turbos, they are essentially the same, just without the price of branding, development, ect ect.

I think the problem with some (probably a lot) of the cheaper turbos is that the quality isn't as good, but this is now going back to how simple it is to make them. So it wouldn't be hard to just take someone elses design, and still build it to a good standard.

This is most likely what a lot of companies, like XSPower do. Making their turbos very cheap due to not having to design them, but not necessarily making them crap.

Guess its hit an miss.have heard good and bad things. Few guys on here have success with them.

For the £1k it costs for the xs kit then having to replace parts, i would be looking at 2nd kits from a decent company.

Seems like, yeah. And if you're happy to roll the dice with "hit and miss" parts then go for it and you may well be in the lucky crowd who can state that they built their 700bhp Ferrari-slayer on a shoestring. :D

Good luck! :)

Personally, I'd buy this one:

I HAVE A S362 TURBO KIT FORSALE, NEARLY BRAND NEW!! :eyebrows:

WOW What a $#@! storm!!!

Sorry to those that I offended, it was not fair of me to generalise like that.

I was of the days when people who fitted XS power equipment had nothing but trouble and spend literally thousands of pounds only to find that the XS power manifold was made of toffee and caused them all sorts of problems.

I also watched the guys fit the XS power turbos and regret it hugely, they made for $#@! slow or really laggy cars. I have been out of the world for years so should have known better....it did spark a good debate though!

I am one of those 5% who have sunk more than the price of a GTR into my car and the last 2 times I used it I had nothing but problems. Sometimes its luck of the draw rather than what parts you fit - Money doesn't ensure a reliable car.

And I am also one of those that def DOES drive his car like a complete c**t and cannot understand why your wouldn't...build it to break it.

Thank you and good night.

Finally someone with some sense!!

Loads of money spend under the bonet does mean its realiable if you are the 95% who don't actually drive it.

If you think UK brakes are more then good enough for a BPU supra then you don't drive hard enough! simple

If you aint scared of your car then you will push it to the limits and things will always fail even if its something simple it just never will be 100% reliable

Loads of money spend under the bonet does mean its realiable if you are the 95% who don't actually drive it.

If you think UK brakes are more then good enough for a BPU supra then you don't drive hard enough! simple

If you aint scared of your car then you will push it to the limits and things will always fail even if its something simple it just never will be 100% reliable

What a load of twaddle, to put it politely :)

and heres another one

"another one"?

I've owned Supras with J-spec brakes, UK spec brakes and Brembo F50 brakes. Your post clearly demonstrates that you haven't a clue what you're talking about. Just look at the brake setup comparison thread, you'll see exactly why you're wrong.

As per your PM:

You're making sweeping statements about Supra brake setups that you clearly have no experience with. A UK spec brake setup, with braided lines, 5.1 fluid and upgraded pads are more than adequate for anything even an auto BPU and most single setups can throw at it. The only issues with the UK brakes are the weight and that they don't provide a huge amount of feedback.

If you're cooking UK brakes with the mentioned upgrades, either your calipers need work or you seriously need to work on your driving technique. ;)

I got everything you mensioned but fade isnt my worry i have driven cars that stop a whole lot quicker. Stopping distance for most drivers is perfect but for other that want to break a lot later it aint always up for the job and yes tyres make a massive diffrence before you mension it

As you appear to have popped up out of nowhere can you give us all a run down on why your knowledge of the Supra is better than the experienced members on here.

Something about your posting style is familiar, cannot quite put my finger on it yet...

I got everything you mensioned but fade isnt my worry i have driven cars that stop a whole lot quicker. Stopping distance for most drivers is perfect but for other that want to break a lot later it aint always up for the job and yes tyres make a massive diffrence before you mension it

For it's age the Supra (US/UK spec) compares very well with many of today's car models.

70mph-0 braking distance 149 feet

0.98 lateral G's

Kerb Weight 3505Lb

Edited by Nic (see edit history)

Your taking my point in the wrong way, i aint saying thd brakes are poor atall. But would use them in a professional championship race? Or time attack?

I am pointing out the posers from the true passion of fast cars and motorsports.

Your taking my point in the wrong way, i aint saying thd brakes are poor atall. But would use them in a professional championship race? Or time attack?

I am pointing out the posers from the true passion of fast cars and motorsports.

I've got a full set of stoptechs on my S4 (355's) which is heavier than the my supra and I recently removed them and put stock s4 brakes back on. I can tell you now there is ZERO difference in 99% of driving except that the stock brakes dont put you through the windscreen whenever your trying to slowdown for traffic lights and the discs are half the price.

Yeah i get what your saying i put 6 pot 355 brakes on a audi mk2 and braking power was exactly the same. Tyres couldnt stop any faster. So whats your point? You dont stop quicker just by putting on sone fancy callipers theirs a lot more to it then that. Its nice goin from 0-60 in 4 seconds but its nicer to go 60-0 in 2 secs