The mkiv Supra Owners Club

This T61 turbo any good ?

tengu

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

sorry i have to say this been holding it too long.

Why do all the big boys here that spend 10K+ on their single turbo conversions never actually drive the cars hard ? Most people i seen on this forum the turbos just about have 1000 miles on them!

Big money = Show/Showoff car properly never seen over 70mph

Tight budget = genuinely want more power to use not to pub talk

Have you ever seen Jamie P drive :blink:

listen it doesnt matter about his experience. Some people obviously can afford to spend ridiculous money on their cars. The fact is the guy probably loves his car and wants to single it as cheap as possible, and then theres people putting other members cars down because it didnt cost £10k for a turbo. Maybe peoples egos are getting too much and dont realise the forum is to support members and not take the mick out of the cost of their set ups

listen it doesnt matter about his experience. Some people obviously can afford to spend ridiculous money on their cars. The fact is the guy probably loves his car and wants to single it as cheap as possible, and then theres people putting other members cars down because it didnt cost £10k for a turbo. Maybe peoples egos are getting too much and dont realise the forum is to support members and not take the mick out of the cost of their set ups

Many people have gone single turbo in whole variety of different ways but the the general concesus is that if you want a reliable setup then it is going to cost you in the region of 10K. There are exceptions to the rule but is it worth taking the risk ?

I'm yet to see any dyno graph of your setup? Tbh the "510hp" is immaterial, it's how it is delivered that counts and I bet this XS turbo is well off the figures provided by the top turbo manufacturers.

To the OP, dr_jekyll has built cars using this XS kit, and it works for him. He hasn't kept his latest one for any period of time though, so obviously there can be no insight into long term reliability.

You are obviously free to fit whatever parts you want to your car, but at least be aware of the potential issues and enormous bills that fitting parts to your car can bring. That £1000 Turbo kit may seem cheap, but if you have to add £5000 for an engine rebuild, then it's not quite the bargain you are wanting.

dyno printout on the build thread.

had my track car nearly 4 years?

This subject has been covered exhaustively in the past. Use the search function, and draw your own conclusions.

I did, and then spent £20k on a well built car with tried and tested parts. My car performed flawlessly as a result.

and too add to that. jamiep does 150 on a motorway is fine! some unkown person on the forum does 150mph on the motorway everyone is like OMG how can you do that its to dangerous you don't think of other people on the road bla bla bla i heard it a million times on here.

If you come onto a public forum talking about doing over double the speed limit you will always get a mixed reaction, there is a time and place to stretch your legs not like some people who rag it around town.

Each to their own. You dont have to look down on them

The build quality of XS parts is wildly unpredictable at best, loads of horror stories on the net about failed / sub standard parts but also some people seem to be fine it's pot luck. If I were going single I personally wouldn't want to chance it and buy tried and tested brands.

dyno printout on the build thread.

No dyno printout on there, just you stating the figures:

sooo, i poped along today to get the car on the rollers and have the fuelling ect tweeked to suit the new auto set up and the results..............

@ 15 psi of boost

510 bhp

500 lbs ft

pretty pleased with that and i must say the thing feel rapid. the way the power comes on with all that torque makes it feel very savage. maximum concertration required in the wet drive home . but exelent fun

and all this for less than 3k. gota be pleased with that

The build quality of XS parts is wildly unpredictable at best, loads of horror stories on the net about failed / sub standard parts but also some people seem to be fine it's pot luck. If I were going single I personally wouldn't want to chance it and buy tried and tested brands.

this is a valid and well made opinion. i just dont like it when someone that has never used or tryed the products pops up ans states they are shit and if you use them your car is shit. thats just small minded and annoying.

Each to their own. You dont have to look down on them

No one is being looked down on. But if you think that building a fast and reliable car on the cheap is easy, then you're greatly mistaken. There's a good reason that the general consensus is that a single build will cost the layman circa £10k in parts. That's not members being snobby regarding parts.

this is a valid and well made opinion. i just dont like it when someone that has never used or tryed the products pops up ans states they are shit and if you use them your car is shit. thats just small minded and annoying.

It's your car at the end of the day and if it works for you why would you change it. I wouldn't take it to heart as there will always be conflicting opinions on a public forum

No one is being looked down on. But if you think that building a fast and reliable car on the cheap is easy, then you're greatly mistaken. There's a good reason that the general consensus is that a single build will cost the layman circa £10k in parts. That's not members being snobby regarding parts.

i disagree , a few members on here are huge brand snobs. and spend thousands on brands and parts they nothing about on the sayso of the in crowd, its the whole school yard thing. knowbody wants to be the kid in the hightech trainers, becasue the nike ones make you run faster and twice as cool.

There's no denying that a car that has been built using XS power parts will be worth considerably less than one built using equivalent HKS parts. You've managed to build good cars using these cheap parts, and good on you for doing so. But parts produced on a budget will not generally compare with those that have £Ks in development in them.

And the numbers still speak for themselves, I reckon for every forum member with positive experience of XS power parts, there's at least 3 with a negative experience.

i disagree , a few members on here are huge brand snobs. and spend thousands on brands and parts they nothing about on the sayso of the in crowd, its the whole school yard thing. knowbody wants to be the kid in the hightech trainers, becasue the nike ones make you run faster and twice as cool.

Spot On!!

Big money = Show/Showoff car properly never seen over 70mph

Tight budget = genuinely want more power to use not to pub talk

Utter, UTTER grade A bull. Tell Hodge, JohnnyG, Jamie, Jurgen, Michel etc etc they nanny their cars around.

Tight budget = Pikeys who cant afford to do things properly. Who will then moan on the forum about their turbo expiring/manifold cracking/intercooler hoses blowing off/crank pulley flying round their engine bay because they wont spend 300 quid but would rather spend 800 quid on nasty wheels.

Get a grip. Actually read the forum, watch the vids then decide.

NB theres always exceptions to the rule. Craig ;)