The mkiv Supra Owners Club

This T61 turbo any good ?

tengu

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We've got ten years+ of experience of people bolting the cheap stuff on and then either:

a) appearing in tech asking why their car has fallen to bits

b) saying *all* single turbo'd cars are inherently unreliable just because theirs constantly lets go

or

c) slinking off never to be seen again because they don't want to admit we were right and they were wrong.

While I'm all for people trying stuff out, the pioneers on here are the ones who treat their Supra as an ongoing fun project, spannering away and testing different parts and setups and dealing with any blowups with a hey-ho and a cheery grin. Others just want power and reliability, which is fine, but they aren't the ones to be running the risks with the more unknown parts.

It's interesting that someone comes along here and accuses everyone of being a poser because they don't fade their brakes while late-braking from 150mph driving through town in traffic like a real man :rolleyes: or blowing their car up when popping down to the shops at 9,000rpm in first gear. It's a bit feeble and a bit attention-seeking, and also every accusation of 95% of people not "driving" their cars and every assertation that cheap components are perfectly as good as expensive ones and every mention of clique'ness is backed up by... well, nothing really. Seen it all before over the years - links and evidence, plz, or go home :yawn:

Well,

Read all this pages, some fair comments from personal experience some just farts in the wind ... but regardless it help me make a decision :)

In Parry's supra this engine/setup made 426bhp on the stock twins which are still in perfect condition, so i will be keeping those for now and make sure supra is all well without any issues after the heart transplant :) and gearbox, sort out all little odds and ends that can come up and wait until next year, when i will get the turbo i want on my supra GTX3076R with 82 exhaust housing.

Thanks all !

Yeah it could be mate, 427bhp :) anyhow anything north of 400bhp should be ok.

I will speak with Turbo Dynamics, thats where i always got my turbos and see if i can get it with the T4 flange to fit the manifold.

Engine going in this week finally :D

Parry made 427hp I thought?

Can you get a GTx3076r on a T4 manifold I supposed you'd need a T3 flange wouldn't you? Didn't think they would run T4.

Do you know where to get with the T4 flange ? if you do please let me know :)

Cheers

PM sent.

Are you set on the GTX3076R? have you considered the GTX35R instead? for me the GTX35R would make for the perfect fast road setup, I personally wouldn't go any smaller.

I am building the car with drift competitions in mind so I just want a very very responsive 500 bhp, and i know GTX3076 will be just that. I had the GT3076 on my rb25 skyline and it made 1 bar boost at 3800rpm, not laggy but many times on the track i felt like i could use the mid range power more then the top end.

Also for my personal drift style i believe that top end power will make u stay on the limiter more then mid range power ... so thats why i said i will give it a go with the GTX3076. It is always in my mind that GTX35 will make more power thou ... :D

I also dont want to go smaller exhaust housing then .82 as i know they generate a lot more heat if smaller, when i am back in the uk maybe at some meeting i cand get a ride in one of the members supra with GTX35 or GTX3076 and see what i feel :)

Cheers !

PM sent.

Are you set on the GTX3076R? have you considered the GTX35R instead? for me the GTX35R would make for the perfect fast road setup, I personally wouldn't go any smaller.