The mkiv Supra Owners Club

This T61 turbo any good ?

tengu

I personally would stay away from anything that claims "cheap" AND "big power."

There's been a lot of talk so far on this thread about these "cheap" turbo kits and the point has been made: "Is it worth the risk [to your engine, etc]?" If your answer to that question is yes then go for it but don't bemoan it later on if things go wrong and you're having to remortgage your house to buy a new engine or whatever. My own car is having the work for a single turbo conversion done even as I type and I have spent WAY more than I can technically afford just so that I can have peace of mind that everything will (should...) have some longevity to it. There is always - as I think we all know - an inherant risk involved with running your car's engine at (for instance, as in my case) over 2 1/2 times the power it left the factory with, but tried and tested (and therefore often expensive) parts SHOULD help mitigate that risk.

The way I see it is this: it's only money, you can't take it with you when you're gone and that could be any day. Maybe I'm just getting a bit fatalistic in my old age, but I'd rather get an outrageous loan and still be paying for a decent job using decent parts in 8 years (as I will be...) to guarantee that I have at least done all I can to give my car a fighting chance of surviving the power hike as well as putting the biggest grin on my face whenever I see fit. :eyebrows:

That brings me on to:

Many people have gone single turbo in whole variety of different ways but the the general concesus is that if you want a reliable setup then it is going to cost you in the region of 10K. There are exceptions to the rule but is it worth taking the risk ?

In my experience, even the £10k that's been mentioned a few times is a bit of an underestimate. It very much depends on the spec you're running before hand, of course, but I imagine mine was a good example of the route many take. I was running BPU (HKS parts for boost controller, FMIC, dump valve & air filter with stock ECU, 255lph fuel pump but otherwise stock fuel system and intake plenum) before the conversion and decided on the Whifbitz turbo kit. It's very well priced and receives good reviews, so it seemed like the job would be just about easily affordable. But of course it's not just the turbo kit that you need. To make the most of it and not detonate your engine on the first prod of the throttle you need to uprate the fuel system (rail, injectors, FPR) including another increase in fuel pump flow rate (450lph), which is more money. Then you need decent aftermarket engine management, which is more money again. Then you realise that the only part you ever specced without using the principle of "spend a bit more than every penny you can" (the FMIC) isn't up to the job, so that needs to be uprated again too (that's what happened to me anyway ...

:rolleyes: ). Then you need some dials to keep an eye on stuff (optional, yes, but wise I would say). Then of course the head needs some work or you're limiting yourself power-wise, so cams need to be bought as do cam pulleys and an uprated cambelt (again, arguable but if a job's worth doing...). For more longevity, you need to look at a decent service on 17 year old stock parts (seals, etc) - that all adds up too. Then there's labour. And mapping... I could go on, but I'm sure you get the point by now. I won't have much change (if any...) from, let's just say, "significantly more than £10k" after this job, but I know it's been done properly with proper parts by people that know what they're doing. That's my point of view though.

If you want to save money and then invoke divine intervention for a decent result, go for it. And why not? If you want to do things "properly" (and I realise the definition of the word is subjective, hence the quotation marks) and follow the age-old adage of buy nice or buy twice, either save up or just bite the bullet with a loan / credit card or both. I'm not going to lose any sleep over it either way. It would be interesting to meet on the track afterwards and see what's what anyway! :eyebrows: :)

The build quality of XS parts is wildly unpredictable at best, loads of horror stories on the net about failed / sub standard parts but also some people seem to be fine it's pot luck. If I were going single I personally wouldn't want to chance it and buy tried and tested brands.

My advise to the OP is save up and get a little decent turbo kit, plenty on the market and also do more research. XS stuff is not the best but there are people who have had ok results with bit.

:yeahthat:

*cough,cough*http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w4sH4pLlSRo&feature=player_embedded

In other news: OUCH!

Case in point, I feel...

thers strip clubs in atlanta where you can watch the girls bath eachother.

But more improtantly, let's organise a club event and go there! :D

Edited by DaveR (see edit history)

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

and the people here that have has had no problems?

I'm guessing by your Join date that you're relatively new to Supras? I can remember when plenty of people were trying XS Power products, and a similar number were having all sorts of failures. (admittedly, this was usually down to the manifolds). People went back to using the big brands, and it was business as usual.

XS Power had a shoddy product, and equally bad service. If they've changed, then great - but I won't be taking that chance on a car I own, and I will be advising people to use tried and tested, quality products.

I spent the best part of a year weighing up the pros and cons of various single conversions, it made sense for me to buy an already converted car.

yeah mate newish. im going to go single myself somtime soon and tyrying to work out if more money really better.

any decent mid priced turbo kits ?

By all means try one of the cheaper kits, but make sure you're aware of the potential concequences. Dr Jeckyl has been having success, so it's possible.

If I were doing it again, I would base my build around a Whifbitz manifold and a Syvecs ECU on a healthy stock engine. I'd also want brand new injectors, but their size depends on the turbo you end up with.

yeah mate newish. im going to go single myself somtime soon and tyrying to work out if more money really better.

yeah my single kit which is forsale is a decent mid range kit! practically brand new and paul has been having awesome results with the kit. 600-700bhp, thankyou very much.... plus its decent quality.

- - - Updated - - -

If I had the cash I'd definitely go with a BW362, that was my next choice over a cheaper turbo.

EXACTLY ;)

I enjoy reading these threads . Such a difference of option . There are two sides people who have loads of money to spend and those who don't !! Yes it's nice to buy top end parts but some just cant afford it ! Does spending £30000 mean you enjoy your supra more than someone who spends £5000 , I'm not so sure ! Yes peace of mind counts for a lot but at what stage does that make financial sence ! There has been a few threads on here where some of the BEST Supra have had to be broken for the owners to make some of there money back , sad times ! Not many people want to spend 30-40 thousand on a 20 year old car . ESP when you start getting close to GTR money . So surely there is a balance between buy good parts and cheaper parts ! Enjoying your car doesn't depend on how much money you spend ! Chasing huge numbers and spending huge amounts of money is more about ego than enjoyment , I think !

We all spend what we can afford to obtain the maximum amount of enjoyment !!! That's why we have these cars ! To drive ,enjoy and bring a huge smile to our own faces ! I can't spend what Jamie did , I can't do what Hodge can do ! But I can enjoy it just as much !

yeah my single kit which is forsale is a decent mid range kit! practically brand new and paul has been having awesome results with the kit. 600-700bhp, thankyou very much.... plus its decent quality.

- - - Updated - - -

EXACTLY ;)

im not ready to buy yet and your kit and johnnys will be gone by the time im ready, i have lots to do first

what about the driftmotion t61 dont hear of any bad news from them and everyone in the states in running them aswell as the xs power think its about 100 quid more plus you get garret internals and a polished compressor housing :) thats what im aiming for i only want 400hp till i get the v160

what about the driftmotion t61 dont hear of any bad news from them and everyone in the states in running them aswell as the xs power think its about 100 quid more plus you get garret internals and a polished compressor housing :) thats what im aiming for i only want 400hp till i get the v160

i am assuming your NA?

- - - Updated - - -

Just get a loan? same thing plus i get paid full and im happy :D

i might keep that in mind! as anything from you looks newer then from the original manufacture!

There are two sides: people who have loads of money to spend and those who don't

I disagree. I don't have loads of money (I do alright for myself, but there are some who clearly have more than I could hope to get short of 6 lucky numbers coming up :D ) but still want the best parts I can get. "Where there's a will" an' all that...

I disagree. I don't have loads of money (I do alright for myself, but there are some who clearly have more than I could hope to get short of 6 lucky numbers coming up :D ) but still want the best parts I can get. "Where there's a will" an' all that...

Well for a bargain, top quality and rarity - does it get better than the HKS Twin kit, which are then overhauled by the people who make the BTCC and WRC turbos? HKS don't make the Twin's anymore, and they were $11k when then were sold.

For me it's about choosing parts that are of sufficient quality that they are fit for purpose and will be reliable over many years. I've been on the forum since it started and over that time seen many successful and not so successful builds. I was also a trader on the forum for many years and only sold parts that I was confident in the quality, I could have sold cheap Chinese made kits, FMIC's, etc. and probably made a load of money out of it but when you compare a quality branded product side by side with a cheaper alternative the differences are very apparent.

Supras are cheap cars now which makes the price of decent quality parts seem very high in comparison. My advice - take it or leave it :) - would be if you want more power than the stock turbos can make and you want the car to be reliable, then be prepared to spend a lot of money to do the job properly. If you don't want to spend so much money then I'd keep the standard turbos, enjoy what is already a fast car and spend the money instead on maintaining the car so it is in good working order - something that can cost an arm and leg in itself on 11-19year old car.

What's clear from this thread is that people have different priorities, standards, affordability and expectations. The good news is that there is something there for anyone and everyone.

to the OP: Good luck with whatever option you go for.

For me it has to be a balance ! I will get the best( most reliable ) I can afford at the time ! I dont want to feel guilty for buying a cheaper part because i can afford the expensive/branded part . I also don't want my car owing me £30 000 .

What makes you think they owe people £30k?? i think only about 4-5 cars on this site have done that.