The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Worrying - Is it worth buying a Supra

Sheefa

I tell you what is worrying...

My friends BMW 335i now worth £11,000 after he brought it for £19,000 about 2 years ago.

Or the BMW M5 owners who paid £70,000 for a car which a few years later is worth £15,000.

That is worrying ;)

Anyway, this is about the 278,9874 thread you have done about buying a Supra or a BMW! :D

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Pull up at any traffic lights and look around you. Porsche's. Bmw's, audi's. Common as a ford focus. You might never see another supra for months let alone have one in the same line of traffic. And let's face it most of the above drivers are hoping there isn't a supra next to them because they know. Supra's have wicked power.

I love my Supra, I sold my first one in order to rescue another (and because it was black), I will never get tired of the looks, the way it drives and generally makes me feel like a big kid. I could buy a 325 or 330 and be like everyone else, but where's the fun in that?

:yeahthat: Oh yes your right !

:D

You'll loose more in depreciation in 3 years on a 1 series coupe than the outright purchase cost of a 6 speed TT Supra!

You're right. Either then new 325i Coupe or M135i would cost me £460 a month (all servicing & insurance included) over 4 years and even then the final payment is £10,500 to buy it from Leaseplan or I hand it back £20k down!

Pull up at any traffic lights and look around you. Porsche's. Bmw's, audi's. Common as a ford focus. You might never see another supra for months let alone have one in the same line of traffic. And let's face it most of the above drivers are hoping there isn't a supra next to them because they know. Supra's have wicked power.

Well said.

Can I just make the point that MOST of the Supras sold on here in the past few months (this "avalanche" of sales, apparently) have been sold for reasons other than basic running costs.

Yes, they can be a thirsty car but no more than any other 3 litre petrol engine (and a damn sight more economical than some) if driven judiciously. And yes, they are expensive to repair and replace parts... but these parts have usually lasted 14-19 years!

Bottom line, you get what you pay for. Stop thinking these are £10k cars, and start thinking they are often poorly maintained £30-40k cars (the exceptions being the no-expense spared restorations like Dandan's full suspension replacement) and you'll keep your expectations appropriate.

Cheap cars for what they are...

For example my costs:

£13k for the car (very low milage 1999 TT6 VVTI)

£1k Insurance fully comp (24yo 7y Ncd mods declared etc)

Tax (£120 per 6months)

Mot (£30)

Fuel is abit steep but nothing terrible I get between 18-25mpg around town, around 25-30 on long motorway runs in 6th. I've never took note of it when hooning but who cares when you've got a huge smile on your face! :D

Those costs aren't bad at all for a circa 400hp supercar slayer that looks just as modern as most coupes on the road. Engines are bullet proof and servicing is as bad as any car if done right, dare I say BMW will bend you over compared. Parts can be expensive if something like a wishbone ball joint goes but there is a vast amount of parts available second hand it lowers the blow a treat

In short, the nicest and best car I've ever driven. Be careful on your search and be sure to buy a nice one :)

Nothing compares to a Supra for performance per £.

When I bought my single from Jurgen, I'd looked at M3s, M5s, R33 R34 and R35 GTRs, TVRs, Astons etc and none of them compared value wise. R35 would have depreciated more in 3 years than the outright cost of my Supra (I was looking at a brand new R35 as they had only just been released)

The only other car that got a look in was the NSX, but my single was almost twice as powerful.

Can't wait to get into the driving seat of another Supra :cool: