The mkiv Supra Owners Club

smoked

Guest kopaloadofthis

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Even as standard, the ST is noticeably quicker. Is a good second faster to 60, almost 10mph faster, handle better, have greater steering feedback, better brakes, more grip.

The only plus side to the Supra is it looks far nicer, and is obviously RWD if that's your preference. The Ford is even on a par with the Supra when it comes to engine sound.

I've owned 2 N/As, one of them a 6 speed. Lovely car, but not as quick as a Focus ST. What's bad about the Focus? Heard they have some reliability issues, but they're a brilliant drive for what they are.

The N/A may have circa 200hp (very few will have more than that now) but they weigh around 150kg more than the Forcus.

A Supra is a Supra the Focus is just a Focus. You could be driving a nice N\A Supra and you attract more attention in a day than the Focus ST would attract in a year. One of the things i love about the Supra is the notoriety, everybody thinks that it has 1000hp and people are just amazed by the looks. With that much of attention i don't even care it's only 200hp anymore lol

Also, the 6spd NA platform has unbelievable upgrading potential when compared to the Focus ST.

Personally, i always thought that hatchbacks are a little "girlie".

A Supra is a Supra the Focus is just a Focus. You could be driving a nice N\A Supra and you attract more attention in a day than the Focus ST would attract in a year. One of the things i love about the Supra is the notoriety, everybody thinks that it has 1000hp and people are just amazed by the looks. With that much of attention i don't even care it's only 200hp anymore lol

Also, the 6spd NA platform has unbelievable upgrading potential when compared to the Focus ST.

Funny enough I was at a Wedding and some chaps came over for a look, whilst it was parked next to a R35 GTR. He was telling his mate how loads of these Supra's run 1000bhp! I didn't tell him what was actually under the hood but they all were pretty impressed!!

:D

Agreed on all points. :)

I'm not really bothered about the image a car has, I'm bothered about what they're like to drive. IMO an NA Supra is a nicer drive than the Focus, but it certainly isn't as quick.

Theses nothing wrong with NAs, they're perfectly good at what they're designed for - being a big, comfortable sporty cruiser. But they are not quick, certainly not by modern standards.

If you want a quick one, the TT is there. If you want a cheaper car but want the looks then the NA is perfect.

Its all about how you drive them, there are members here who have been wasted by polos in the past :p - http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?240329-My-NA-6-speed-vs-a-boring-euro-box

Jason, is this true? You seriously couldn't beat a polo? Even I am not that bad! :p

At SantaPod this year my NA6 was only a second slower than some TT's on the strip! Justin Bieber even managed to beat a TT at pod this year, think he managed a 14.6 quarter mile in his! So you have no excuse struggling against a polo!! :D

Edited by Abz
time edited!! (see edit history)

Jason, is this true? You seriously couldn't beat a polo? Even I am not that bad! :p

At SantaPod this year my NA6 was only a second slower than some TT's on the strip! Justin Bieber even managed to beat a TT at pod this year, think he managed a 14.3 quarter mile in his! So you have no excuse struggling against a polo!! :D

Biebs run a 14.6 i think :)

I'm not really bothered about the image a car has, I'm bothered about what they're like to drive. IMO an NA Supra is a nicer drive than the Focus, but it certainly isn't as quick.

Theses nothing wrong with NAs, they're perfectly good at what they're designed for - being a big, comfortable sporty cruiser. But they are not quick, certainly not by modern standards.

If you want a quick one, the TT is there. If you want a cheaper car but want the looks then the NA is perfect.

Which is fine. But I KNOW my NA eats standard Focus ST's. Now it's either 1, a coinkydink that I've not lost a traffic light launch to one yet, 2, my car is indeed quicker than a Focus ST, or 3, I am indeed the stig's fat cousin and am wasted being a mechanic and should almost certainly look at a career in drag racing. I'm even more positive

I know an NA isn't gonna stink Ferrari's left right and centre, but I do know that at the SRR day a few years back, I had the fastest NA there. Homer was suprised at the performance, and even Charlie was amazed.

This isn't a competition thread, and was meant as a light hearted little bit of banter toward Chris, but it would seem I'm being made out to be a liar. Which annoys me.

Apologies for ranting people. :)

At SantaPod this year my NA6 was only a second slower than some TT's on the strip! Justin Bieber even managed to beat a TT at pod this year, think he managed a 14.6 quarter mile in his! So you have no excuse struggling against a polo!! :D

14.6 out of an NA? There were 320bhp M3 Evo's doing 14.3's last time I was there! Good effort!

At SantaPod this year my NA6 was only a second slower than some TT's on the strip! Justin Bieber even managed to beat a TT at pod this year, think he managed a 14.3 quarter mile in his! So you have no excuse struggling against a polo!! :D

You're going to start lecturing on Launch techniques? :D

If you read it, I didn't get beaten, but I expected a larger gap between me and him.

Which is fine. But I KNOW my NA eats standard Focus ST's. Now it's either 1, a coinkydink that I've not lost a traffic light launch to one yet, 2, my car is indeed quicker than a Focus ST, or 3, I am indeed the stig's fat cousin and am wasted being a mechanic and should almost certainly look at a career in drag racing. I'm even more positive

I know an NA isn't gonna stink Ferrari's left right and centre, but I do know that at the SRR day a few years back, I had the fastest NA there. Homer was suprised at the performance, and even Charlie was amazed.

This isn't a competition thread, and was meant as a light hearted little bit of banter toward Chris, but it would seem I'm being made out to be a liar. Which annoys me.

Apologies for ranting people. :)

I wasn't accusing you of being a liar, and I apologise if that's how it came across. :)

I'm just stating that, all things being equal, an NA Supra (even a 6 speed) is easy pray for an ST Focus. I know this from my own experiences, and I'm sure there was another forum member who had found the same. (JamieP possibly?)

I'd put it down to your driving technique and/or your Supras condition.