The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Brazil's Build - Project (Do Luck V1)

Brazil

I think there is something wrong with my diff, yesterday when it was up on a ramp there was a little oil leaking from it a few minutes ago I went for a drive and when I let off the throttle I would hear a grinding noise and the trunk area of my car would vibrate and rattle. As soon as I guessed on it it would go away again.

Do you think this is a quick fix or is it time to upgrade to big case with TRD internals?

• Replies 260
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think there is something wrong with my diff, yesterday when it was up on a ramp there was a little oil leaking from it a few minutes ago I went for a drive and when I let off the throttle I would hear a grinding noise and the trunk area of my car would vibrate and rattle. As soon as I guessed on it it would go away again.

Do you think this is a quick fix or is it time to upgrade to big case with TRD internals?

I would upgrade it now your single, or OS giken diff.

I would upgrade it now your single, or OS giken diff.

I have a small diff so its not just a simple TRD upgrade, I will need a big case, drive shafts plus passenger side axle and the TRD internals.

I always new this was a weak point in my build but didnt expect to come so quickly! The new clutch grips so well though, so I am not surprised its may have knackered the DIff.

• 2 weeks later...
Wow. Awesome. :)

I have seen many pics of that kit and it never has been one of my fauvorites, but your car makes it look great!

https://s-media-cache-ec0.pinimg.com/originals/d8/35/6a/d8356ae0046dd10dcca4928cfe3fb02f.jpg

Thank you guys,

This kit in the flesh is very cool and make it look like an exotic; I have some future plans though I like to modify the spoiler to make it look smaller and I like a carbon fiber under sill for the side skirts to level it out too. Though at the present time I have other priorities hehehe

Car is looking beautiful well done for sticking to it. However I have to say I prefer to look of your wheels in silver as they are in your garage.

The deal was that I was not able to find anybody here that could re-chrome it so I went for this option I think I will most likely change them for other wheels in the future, possibly work meister ssiii

Wicked you managed to source one, who from keron?

Not confirmed yet, but waiting to hear something in the next few days buddy... like you mentioned before it would be smart to have the big case and get the gilken in... whats the point having power that you cant use...! Chris wilson is a good mentor..!

• 5 weeks later...

Last night Lee, sent me these pics of my Big Case TRD diff being prepped for assembly...!

I am currently overseas right now but I am hopping to have the TRD diff fitted by the time I get back, I cant wait to have the car back sitting outside my house again...!

Woohooo...! Am really excited now...! My diff is ready and will make its way to Portugal tomorrow...! Which means I get my car running again and get to complete the run in miles before the final tuning..! :)

Big thanks to Lee at SRD... he was super efficient to get this completed in the time that he did, the man has his finger on the pulse...!

Edited by Brazil (see edit history)

First quick polish using poorboys black hole after 2 years being in the shop, after this it went back to the shop to fit its TRD LSD. I am also waiting to have a do luck tension half cage fitted which has a polished finish.

Certainly looking very clean and tidy.

Always a challenge with a black or dark coloured paintwork.

I bet you can't wait to finally get it sorted.

Fingers crossed for you ;)

Very much so buddy,,,, its tough but need to be patient and get it right first time..!

• 4 weeks later...

Just a little update.

It is truly incredible the amount of work that its evolved on building a car like this, before you have a fully tuned reliable single turbo supra there is lots of man hours and money spent. I could not express more how much smarter it would be to buy one already built by a reputable builder, financially its much smarter move.

I have completed 1000 miles now with my new engine, but am having to fix these little issues.

Had oil leaking from my new TRD Diff, I have tightened the flange bolts and hope that its not leaking anymore.

I have a front crank seal leak, so Chris Wilson is sending me out a new uprated one and hope that will be it. Luckily its a new engine so it should be easy to pull everything out, still its a very tight down there to work on.

I also have a busted spark plug, and not sure for how long I have been running with only 5 cylinder but the spark plug on the 6th and last cylinder was rather free of carbon compared to the other ones. The spark plugs were all black, the mechanic suggested its fuel rich. The car will be getting fully tuned soon so will have Ryan look at that.

The parts are already making their way to Portugal, so I am hoping to have the car put together soon enough.

While the car is there we will also fit the new Oil Cooler and fit the sensor on the oil cooler sandwich plate and will compare oil pressure to what its been recently.

I also completed a compression test and I am pleased to say that all cylinders tested 11 bars.

Its unbelieveable the amount of hassle your having with the car/ build etc.

I certainly hope it all comes good for you.

I bet its cost you an absolute fortune so far :blink:

Yes sir; its not been smooth sailing at all.... But compared what I have already endured, its not bad. I was just happy to know that the compression test is good and that all the major components are in good shape. I am hopping though that from upgrading all these parts that I will have a reliable car at the end.

• 6 months later...

As you know I recently had a break for parts thread, during the sale of a few items I decided to buy it back having to pay the paypal fee and attempt for the 3rd time to build this car.

I am using a new garage whom already have rebuilt my BMW Convertible engine and did a superb job, and this time all the mechanical work has fix price and guaranteed and final payment wont be made till they have personally put 3k miles on the car o test that everything is good.

As usual every time I choose to rebuild I upgrade the spec list so here it is.

Full Rebuild of HKS T04Z Turbo

HKS 264 Cams Exhaust and Inlet side

HKS 87mm Oversize Pistons - 3.1L Upgrade

Carrillo Type Rods with ARP L19 Bolts

Kevlar Timing Belt

And all the OEM bits new like oil pump, water pump oil squirters I have most of this from its previous build.

Head getting Ported and Polished - Flux and air flow tested

Block getting polished so compression is all the same on 6 cylinders.

I have also ordered new wheels custom made to fit over my Endless Big Brake Kit.

Wheels: CCW SP16 Hybrid 'Steped Lip'

Finish: Polished barrel and inner

Bolts: ARP Hybrid Bolts 'Neo Chrome' 'they have a flame burnt effect to it'

Front Wheels: 10j - 19'' - 42+ offset - 2'' Lip

Rear Wheels: 11.5j - 19'' - 50+ offset - 3'' Lip

I plan on using Michelin Pilot Sport Cup SP 2 -- 265 - 30 19 tyres on the front and Toyo R888 305 30 19 at the rear.

I am going to be using my original block but with a sump, crank and modine from a none troubled Facelift NA block supplied by Jurgen - all been checked and been sent to see balance.

The Head has already been machined and is ready for re assemble.

Status of project is Block is with Machine shop and they are boring it out for the HKS Pistons.

Body Shop: Car is going to body shop to work on the arches so there is no rubbing and going to raise the car a bit so even when it squats there is no rubbing - Also going to change my side skirts to Blitz and smooth it as well as the back bumper, Going to Shorten the length of my spoiler by an inch and half and modify my front bumper so the Greddy 4 row FMIC gets more air to it.

Here's the wheels I've ordered.

http://www.ccwheel.com/wheels-display-hybrid-v2.php?view=SP16

Edited by Brazil (see edit history)