The mkiv Supra Owners Club

:-( Knight Racer - Please help

Guest suprasteven

I am shocked by the workmanship, no need to play devils advocate here. I wouldn't even threaten them with trading standards, I would make trading standards my first point of contact. If not, knightracer give you a small payout and another one is brushed under the carpet.

jumping the counter with a flying knee/headbutt combination.

Also is this really possible? I'd like to see it if it is.

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Have Knight Racer still got your new from toyota rubbers too? Don't forget to demand the return of those too, before you lose out on them as well!

Disgusting work and horrendous company. Completely ruined two of the top end jap performance cars (that I have seen photos of) and probably many more!

I will NEVER go to them for work or parts, and will advise anyone not to go to them!

Shameful.

I would be getting a quote from Baldy and then taking said quote to Knight Racer in person. Personally I would be after getting them to pay for the whole amount, or as much as possible.

If they fail to help them time to name and shame, FB, car forums etc.

Do this.

I can not believe you spent £500 on new rubber trims and they didn't even fit them or if they did just attempted to.

Shocking.

Sorry to hear that matey - I would never use Knight Racer again after they sent me an 'abortion of a trial rear' a few years back and then didn't want to know thereafter when I complianed. I'm still shocked to this day why some people still use them.

Load of crap IMO!

Edited by SupraAyf
spelling (see edit history)

Guest suprasteven

I cant believe hearing all this seriously they have lost a huge amount of my stuff like screws for the car, parts and trims and even as far as my resident parking permit which nearly got me a fine!

well Albert has replied to my email making a few statements that he i quote "claimed the work was finished" and "when i collected it i was happy to bring the car back to for him to finish the job" aswell as i force collected the car!! LOL

i have emailed him again stating that i am not going back an forth with this and listening to all his excuses to which he has given to me for the last 2 months and to anything wrong with the car when i explained statements from people and the photo proof he has not replied back yet nor come on the phone when i called the knight racer office

So lets see what tomorrows show brings

Document the lot - photos, emails, quotes, phone conversations etc.. Then get quotes to put it all right. Then take them to county court to get the money back for what you paid for the work, the parts they broke and lost, and remedial work. This is the correct legal way of doing things. The downside is, it'll take a couple of years probably, and you may not get all your money. The upside is, you stand the best chance of getting everything back, you cause them a large amount of stress, and good luck continuing to run a company once you've got a county court judgement against you.

And if you win, and I can't see why you wouldn't with the photographic evidence alone, all your court costs etc get put onto the judgement to be paid back to you.

It's the best way of being an utter pain to KR legally and also standing a chance of recovering what you've lost :) And if you stick to the facts they can't stop you discussing it openly in forums. Might make sure no-one else gets their beloved car ripped apart by these pretenders.

Edited by Ian C (see edit history)

Shame though, seen it many times on here before, the 'fanboys' rant and rave about how good a trader's work is and to be honest they haven't a clue what they are talking about most of the time.

There's been many companies doing paint on here over the years, alot of them are substandard imo, the way I went about choosing who to have mine resprayed with was to visit them and to see many examples of the work prior to letting them loose with my car and money.

In the end I chose to go local, so pleased with the result and years on it still looks great. I had a lucky escape as one paint place recommended on here that I was very close to using did a so called stunning job on a members car, well this full respray I saw a year or so later and it was comical, didn't say anything to the owner as he was happy with it but I could have done better with rattle cans.

The lesson is that someone elses idea of perfect might not be yours. ;)

Shame though, seen it many times on here before, the 'fanboys' rant and rave about how good a trader's work is and to be honest they haven't a clue what they are talking about most of the time.

There's been many companies doing paint on here over the years, alot of them are substandard imo, the way I went about choosing who to have mine resprayed with was to visit them and to see many examples of the work prior to letting them loose with my car and money.

In the end I chose to go local, so pleased with the result and years on it still looks great. I had a lucky escape as one paint place recommended on here that I was very close to using did a so called stunning job on a members car, well this full respray I saw a year or so later and it was comical, didn't say anything to the owner as he was happy with it but I could have done better with rattle cans.

The lesson is that someone elses idea of perfect might not be yours. ;)

Absolutely agree with this, I've been 'stung' by a several traders and long standing members assuming they would be great to deal with, only to find that they abuse the fact that fanboys will always stick up for them so no point in raising an issue on here. I've given up on most of them and now go local or source parts the way I always have in the past. lesson learnt I guess. I have had more luck and better dealings with newer members as they want to make a good impression and are usually more honest.

It's the best way of being an utter pain to KR legally and also standing a chance of recovering what you've lost :) And if you stick to the facts they can't stop you discussing it openly in forums. Might make sure no-one else gets their beloved car ripped apart by these pretenders.

I couldn't agree more with your sentiments and recommended actions, but I also wouldn't put it past an unscrupulous person to close the company down before they were forced into a conclusion they didn't like.

Albert has 5 company directorships at present, IIRC 3 are for closed companies. I'll go and check....

http://www.companieshouse.gov.uk webcheck for "Knight Racer Ltd" reveals:

KNIGHT-RACER LIMITED

UNIT 6 16 WATLING STREET

BLETCHLEY

MILTON KEYNES

UNITED KINGDOM

MK2 2BL

Company No. 05800873

Date of Incorporation: 28/04/2006

NB: The registered office had changed twice in the last ~4 years.

http://www.companiesintheuk.co.uk/ltd/knight-racer reveals:

People connected with this Company

JENNY AU 18 Aug 10 director - Appointment ended

MR ALBERT WONG 12 Jul 10 director - Particulars Changed

http://company-director-check.co.uk/director/911248791 reveals:

Director Summary

Mr Albert Wong has 6 company director or secretary appointments.

Short name - Albert Wong

Director ID : 911248791

Month/Year of Birth: 09/1982

(For security reasons we only show Month/Year)

Address

16a Watling Street

Fenny Stratford Bletchley

Milton Keynes

Bucks

United Kingdom

MK2 2BL

Company Summary

Company Name Company Status

THE GARAGE MK LIMITED Active

KNIGHT-RACER LIMITED Active

KNIGHT-RACER LIMITED Active

ODET (UK) LIMITED Dissolved

SMART INVESTMENT (UK) LIMITED Dissolved

HONG FU SMART INVESTMENT LIMITED Dissolved (Director Resigned 01/01/2008)

I also recently had a run in with knight racer.

I wanted so oem spats and saw that theyre parts came with a fitment guarantee. So I arranged to collect a pair of they as they're only a hour away from me.

When I arrived, it transpired that they only had 1 set left that we're in poor condition. Thinking the fitment would be ok we agreed a reduced price and n bought them on the spot.

An hour later when I tried them on the car they were a terrible fit, so I contacted Albert and he said he would send a new set out (Friday) and I should receive them tuesday which worked out well as I was having some parts of the car sprayed on the Wednesday.

I received the new ones on the following Friday in a cardboard box with no (as in, none) packing, they're were sticking through the box in places!

So annoyed that they were late and battered from transit I tried them on the car...

They still didn't fit With this claimed fitment guarantee.

After a conversation with Albert he advised that when they fit them (you're gonna love this) they drill a hole in the top corner, put a screw in it and then fill over it.

At this point I told him I was bringing them back and wanted my money back.

Which I did and he dealt with me as quickly as possible as there was a buyer in his office when I dumped the spats on his desk and asked for my money.

Tbh, they were always reasonably courteous and well mannered, even for someone like me only buying a small product, and I did get my money back, so I have no need to complain, however I thought I'd bring it to everyone's attention.

but either way I won't be going there ever again after reading all of this either!

Edited by Scutch0 (see edit history)

They still didn't fit With this claimed fitment guarantee.

After a conversation with Albert he advised that when they fit them (you're gonna love this) they drill a hole in the top corner, put a screw in it and then fill over it.

!

If that is KR's standard approach for those who drop their cars off and have KR fit the products I just don't know what to say.

Do people check the work over properly when getting their car back (whether done by KR or whoever). This would be pretty obvious from the other side, at least.

Guest suprasteven

how do you delete posts?? as i tried to write something but now wont let me delete it and secondly how can you copy PM's into your posts as i can copy and paste but none of the pictures show up??

Thank you

Edited by suprasteven (see edit history)

how do you delete posts?? as i tried to write something but now wont let me delete it and secondly how can you copy PM's into your posts as i can copy and paste but none of the pictures show up??

Thank you

Only moderators can delete posts, you can edit them, that's all.

you will need "" "" tags around the image links.

Guest suprasteven

Here is the statement that Baldy sent me

Enjoy

This is a car that has come to me on recommendation from the supra club, for assessment with regard to rectification of poor workmanship.

The car was taken to Night Racer for a copy Doluck front bumper, copy OEM side skirts and a copy Trail rear bumper. With a full colour change from Toyota Silver (199) to a Pearl Black of unknown origin.

On first inspection the car was covered in compound and flatting down water marks.

Front Bumper: Has poor fitment round headlights (filler work required) there are also bubbles appearing in various places on the bumper. There are missed edges on the bumper and jel coat is still visible. There are also flatting marks and the paint has been polished through so you can see the jel coat.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

Rear Bumper: Diffuser section was meant to be finished in matt black, but has been colour coded to match the rest of the car. There are various areas of flatting marks due to unfinished polishing but also lots of paint burnt through marks were the paint has been caught with the edge of a compounding head.

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

Side Skirts: Appear to have been fitted reasonably well, but the paintwork on these panels has no depth of gloss. The rubber ducting into the rear wheel house was not masked so is covered in overspray.

9.jpg

Doors, Mirrors & Handles: Have all been painted without being removed from the vehicle body. In painting the doors in this manner means the handles and mirrors are now sealed with paint to the door panel, so the gasgets are now colour coded. Also in painting the mirrors on the door they have dry areas due to being unable to reach all areas correctly. Drivers door lock all three screws are loose so causing door shutting issues, both door rubbers have not been re-fitted correctly.

10.jpg

Tailgate: Has had its rubbers removed from the tailgate and the shut but not replaced. The rear washer jet has not been reconnected, and the grommet that seals pipe in the body has not been refitted so creating a water leak. The tailgate glass was removed (supposedly) on re-fitment the interior rubber trim has not been refitted and the exterior rubber trim is the wrong type. The rear wiper arm has been fitted incorrectly so it parks in the wrong place.

11.jpg

12.jpg

13.jpg

14.jpg

15.jpg

Boot Spoiler: Has areas of insufficient colour so is see through to the primmer or original colour. There are areas of crazed paintwork and a general poor finish.

16.jpg

Rear ¼ Panels: On the drivers side, petrol flap was not removed and so original colour is still visible as only partial overspray has gone into the shut of the petrol flap. The blending of the Trail rear to the rear ¼ panels is not of an acceptable standard. There is no depth of gloss for what is fresh paint. Rear ¼ windows were removed but not re-fitted correctly so now suffer with wind noise.

17.jpg

5.jpg

19.jpg

Roof: Again no depth of gloss at all, plus lots of boulders left in the paint that need flat and polishing out.

Front Wings: Again no depth of gloss, in need of some serious flat and polish work. Inner wings were insufficiently masked so have black overspray on the grey underbody colour

20.jpg

21.jpg

22.jpg

23.jpg

Bonnet: Again no depth of gloss, in need of some serious flat and polish work. Bonnet rubber that seals the bonnet to slam panel when shut has not been refitted. The bonnet sound deadening pad has many of its clips missing.

Scuttle Panel: Also has retaining clips missing so flaps around when driving.

Generally to rectify this car to an acceptable standard in my opinion I would want to start from scratch treating it as a customer coming to me and asking for a full repaint/colour change. The customer stated that he paid for all new rubbers as he had water leaks the only rubbers I consider were replaced are the two that fit on the ends of the aero top panel.

Although there is some visible shine in some pictures, it hasn't got the depth of shine a freshly painted car should have,also the front bumper pictures don't show how bad the paintwork is

END

Guest suprasteven

No wait for it . . .

Alberts email

On 15 May 2012, at 08:26, Knight-Racer Ltd wrote:

Hi Steven,

I will have a meeting with my bodyshop team along with my legal advisor before I send you a reply, as mentioned, the car was not completed and we were not happy letting it go at the time of collection. So I will seek advise on where I currently stand

I will also seek advise on where we stand if you have voiced any of this publicly since this is a stated un-finished job which you have agreed to return for completion.

Regards

Albert

and now for his reply which he sent me today

Hi Steven,

Thanks for your email. Here is my reply as promised.

Firstly, it is unfair for you to take the car for any inspection and then to use it against us especially when we made it clear that it hasn't been completed and that we were unhappy for you to take the car away. You insisted on collecting your car in whatever condition at that time. This was said by phone and on email. We did not want to exacerbate the matter, so we had no choice but to release the car incompleted.

Secondly, you have not paid in full. You have only paid a partial amount which is basically what you were happy to pay at the time of collection.

Third, we never had a pre-inspection to check any of the points you have mentioned. So there is no evidence that anything was ever broken before you dropped the car off to us. We just know that the car had been in the frontal collision and that the seats were not functioning properly.

Fourth, our offer to complete the job and to rectify anything you are not happy with, still stands as we do not like to leave customers feeling unsatisfied.

Finally, when you delivered the car to us it was on the most convenient day for you. And at no time did we guaranteed to start work immediately. We only quoted an approximate 3-4 weeks from start. And for the record, we have only had it for a tad over 6 weeks and not the 8 months you have stated.

What I suggest you do, is book a time to drop the car off so we can finish the job correctly, and if you wish for any areas to be rectified, we will do so within reason and within budget.

The parts which includes the bodykit, the rubbers, the windscreen work carried out by a third party company are all costs to us, which we have yet to recover in full from yourselves.

Unfortunately, we cannot offer a full refund on this work, because we have yet to complete the job and also you haven't made any payment in full. Additionally you haven't given us the chance to finish or rectify any work to a standard that we are happy with. So demanding a refund on something that hasn't strictly been paid for and/or completed seems very unreasonable.

Regards

Albert

END

I cant believe hearing all this seriously they have lost a huge amount of my stuff like screws for the car, parts and trims and even as far as my resident parking permit which nearly got me a fine!

well Albert has replied to my email making a few statements that he i quote "claimed the work was finished" and "when i collected it i was happy to bring the car back to for him to finish the job" aswell as i force collected the car!! LOL

i have emailed him again stating that i am not going back an forth with this and listening to all his excuses to which he has given to me for the last 2 months and to anything wrong with the car when i explained statements from people and the photo proof he has not replied back yet nor come on the phone when i called the knight racer office

So lets see what tomorrows show brings

If you have proof of these emails, then what he has just said is bo***cks, and deserves everything you throw at him mate. If not, then you may not have a choice but to get them to "finish" the job, and see what happens.

From the reply email it seems as though theyre willing to try and rectify the situation, however after seeing their initial work I would be worried about leaving the car with them again. Sorry I cant be of more help though it's a very difficult situation. I'm sure someone with more experience will be along shortly to offer their thoughts on what to do.

Sorry your car is in such a bad state. Hope it all works out for you :)

In all fairness there bodykit parts are 100% worthless, I can't see any body shop making them fit, I wasted my journey after having the trd spoiler test fitted and payed. The centre blade was 2 inchs apart, but I managed to get my refund.