The mkiv Supra Owners Club

A few reasons why not to use Nippon autos

hodge

• Replies 229
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bit of an update on this guys.

All parts have arrived now do ive been pushing on working my way through it all.

I fitted the fan cowling and got it all lines up, although it wouldnt fit the alloy rad so it had to be modded to fit. After this when I went to fit the intercooler pipe to the plenum, I wouldn't go in because they had been butchered in. This was because the intercooler is sitting about 6 inches too far forward and they've mangled the bumper to put it in so all the intercooler pipework altered to fit. I had to take a small section of the lower u-bend to move the pipe back a little co clear the fan cowling and in it went. After all this the battery tray wouldn't go back in, "aggghhhhh" lol. With a little help from my son a bit of pushing and shoving, I squeeeeeezed in.

Loom is finished, fuel cut defender is in, and new 6 speed ECU is fitted.

All the dash is stripped out to replace the clocks I got from Dude, I have a boost gauge and turbo timer to fit and I am re-routing the amp cable down the other side of the car instead of taking it right across the engine bay from the drivers side to the battery.

A few more issues I've encountered along the way was the top water pipe, which was about 10mm too long. Unfortunately I can't shorten it cos it's got a HUUUUUUGE, sensor boss welded to it for some reason or another.

Check this out for fitment.

When the car was running it had a slight missfire, suspecting there was a coilpack clip issue I've removed the plug cover and was presented with this.

I've got a new set of coilpack clips to go in, but I'm going to strip out the plugs 1st to check what state there in as I have a feeling there going to be goosed.

On a better note, when I pulled the spug cover off I was presented with these.

So pulley wise the car has,

Titan crank pulley

Greddy aux pulleys

Greddy can pulleys

Greddy timing belt

Aftermarket aux belt

TTE tensioner pulley.

Is there any way of checking if it has aftermarket turbos and injectors without pulling the turbo pipes off or injectors out??

Coilpack clip issue.....nice! Its amazing what some people will do. Atleast its a bonus on the aftermarket parts.

Mate that's nothing, when Bossco got his Back from a TT conversion the wires were held into the coilpacks with silicone.

Who told you that? That's nosh pink, no doubt at all ;) It seems to have found a soul mate in B4PSO, too :)

Hodge will sort it out. he hates wires and stuff, he's the man to simplify things. God help you if a fuse blows, but it'll look neat as hell!

Seriously, you are lucky to have found someone fairly local with the patience to sort that lot out, what a mess, it's a wonder it ran at all.

Who told you that? That's nosh pink, no doubt at all ;) It seems to have found a soul mate in B4PSO, too :)

Hodge will sort it out. he hates wires and stuff, he's the man to simplify things. God help you if a fuse blows, but it'll look neat as hell!

Seriously, you are lucky to have found someone fairly local with the patience to sort that lot out, what a mess, it's a wonder it ran at all.

Welcome back Chris :D

Theres no wire tucking going on here or fusebox relocation for that matter. I'm just going to make it work right. And you'll be proud of me, I've binned the electric fans and fitted a good old viscous back in there.

Good lad, that's the idea. he does know that the owners manual will soon be worthless as, despite what you say now, you'll soon have moved everything out of sight. Hunt the dipstick here we come ;)

You are doing a grand job John, hope it works out well in the end for Simon, but what a pain! Those sorts of jobs are never ending, I have done a few myself, just when you think you're almost done something else they've butchered turns up.

Looks like the person who fitted those coil packs also did mine before I had it' date=' oh, and I've seen other garages, not mentioning any names, silicone them in too, took another, far more reputable garage on here to sort that out![/quote']

i think i remember your car when you shown me! silicone everywhere! just lazy! :(

Mate that's nothing, when Bossco got his Back from a TT conversion the wires were held into the coilpacks with silicone.

i had a few cars in for breaking which has had silicone holding the coil wires to the packs! I think one of the reasons for this seems to be toyota not knowing that they actually sell the clips separate (pt no: 9098011246 btw) ... ive had so many customers ringing me asking for looms! because toyota said they dont sell them separate and only as a loom which is well over a grand! :D wonder if anyone fell for it!

i think i remember your car when you shown me! silicone everywhere! just lazy! :(

i had a few cars in for breaking which has had silicone holding the coil wires to the packs! I think one of the reasons for this seems to be toyota not knowing that they actually sell the clips separate (pt no: 9098011246 btw) ... ive had so many customers ringing me asking for looms! because toyota said they dont sell them separate and only as a loom which is well over a grand! :D wonder if anyone fell for it!

and if all else fails, some Renaults apparently use the same connectors, and they are not cooked as they are on the JZs, so raid your local scrappy. :)

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?253818-6-x-brand-new-coil-pack-connectors&p=3199913&viewfull=1#post3199913

Edited by garethr (see edit history)

I think some Toyota dealers are pretty off or on so to speak. Some say parts are discontinued and others can get them no sweat. I read a post on here a while back about the front bumper mountings being discontinued, I tried my luck at my local Mr.T and they got some the next day. It's a weird 1 for sure.

The thing is, if people are offering TT conversions, the least you should expect is they know there way around a Supra engine, and if they see something broke, it needs replacing.

After Bossco had his TT conversion it spend the 1st 6 weeks of ownership at my house pulling it apart and sorting stuff out such a coilpacks, clip, 4 different PAS pumps all supplied by the garage, split hoses, wiring issues. The aux tensioner pulley wheel actually fell off in my hand. These guys WERE, traders on here a few years ago too, which is why he went there.

It really does amaze me how people can look at the job they've done, with it not even functioning as it should and saying "that will do, I'm sure it will be ok". Then go spend the money they've made thinking the owner won't complain. Total insanity.

The way I see it is, if an engine is going into a car, it needs fully checking before it does, which means hoses, clips connectors sensors etc etc. yeah I do understand a company is on a deadline for jobs to be completed but surely that little extra time is worth it in the long run.

If you look at the likes of SRD, yeah Lee is an exceptionally fast worker BUT, every detail of the job is explored and checked before it leaves the workshop. I remember reading Lee's trader application and the 1 thing that stood out for me was "I offer an unrushed service treating every car as if it were my own". I remember thinking, this guys nailed it in 1 sentence. And look at SRD now, the work is overflowing and people are lining up to get work done. Cowboys like this Nippon autos need to take a step back and actually look at what the hell there churning out, because it's not only VERY POOR QUALITY, it's also DANGEROUS.

Anyways, rant over :D

• 2 weeks later...

I'm on the case don't worry. Had it running on Saturday but the battery gave up firstly, then the issue with the idle came back. I swapped the idle control valve with mine and it smoothed it out a little but I noticed a very large air leak from the plenum somewhere. I've stripped down the plenum and waiting now for a few new parts. The battery is now being relocated in the boot. I've fitted a Walbro pump, new clocks, a boost gauge, speedo converter and a set of iridium plugs with all new coil pack connectors.

I'll update with some more pics or the very strange findings, when I get time.

I'm going to completely re-pipe the engine up with vac lines as they all look worse for wear. I'll hopefully get onto that over the weekend weather permitting.

Great work, I was playing devils advocate on this but I'm definitely not now. I'm astounded at the poor quality of the work and glad that its in safe hands now.

On a side note is the upper rad pipe too long or is the aftermarket rad wrong? I ask as I'm in need of an upper rad pipe with sensor boss and I'm not worried about what it looks like. If simon is likely to want to get rid I'd be interested. :)

Great work, I was playing devils advocate on this but I'm definitely not now. I'm astounded at the poor quality of the work and glad that its in safe hands now.

On a side note is the upper rad pipe too long or is the aftermarket rad wrong? I ask as I'm in need of an upper rad pipe with sensor boss and I'm not worried about what it looks like. If simon is likely to want to get rid I'd be interested. :)

i will not be needing it lol if you can sort something out with hodge its yours. on the up note ive got a optima yellow top battery going up to hoges that should solve one of the problems lol