The mkiv Supra Owners Club

No Boost on 2nd Turbo.....SOLVED ***NOT SOLVED******

mplavery

Just to update you guys.. I got the car back today and all is fine and its boosting with the second turbo as it should : )..

All the vsv's and the pressure tank were checked out and they were fine. The problem for me was the two pipes against the firewall that came off the pressure tank that ran behind the engine. These were split pretty bad so were replaced along with any others that looked tired and its now running fine.. Hope you guys get yours sorted. I know its a nightmare..

cool mate, glad its sorted for you ;-) i got a txt of a guy saying just spotted a awesome looking blue supra near yours giving it beans lol

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

cool mate, glad its sorted for you ;-) i got a txt of a guy saying just spotted a awesome looking blue supra near yours giving it beans lol

Haha, he must of caught me in the 'excited' phase.. I think I spotted you on the way back mate around 1 - 1:15pm in the 34 GTR when I was heading back..

Thanks again for all the work and tell Jean he is a star for workin his magic on it too..

See you at Suprapod..

Haha, he must of caught me in the 'excited' phase.. I think I spotted you on the way back mate around 1 - 1:15pm in the 34 GTR when I was heading back..

Thanks again for all the work and tell Jean he is a star for workin his magic on it too..

See you at Suprapod..

No worries, was a shame to miss you but glad your turbos are spooling as they should ;-) now

• 2 weeks later...

Well mine is fixed now but it has been a strange one from the start

1st all hoses and vsv 's checked - ok

2nd pressure tank changed - all ok holding pressure

3rd turbo's sent away to be checked - major wear but ok but found out they were hybrids- was not going to pay £1200 for refurb

4th purchased second hand set of j-spec turbo's from TRD-Rob

Put those on the car -plumbed it all back in and hey ho got two working turbo's again and she's flying

Hope everyone gets their problems sorted because you fall in love all over again when that second turbo comes online

• 2 months later...

Have everybody who had this problem got it solved?

I recently have this problem again, starting to get me down. :(

Two months ago it was one of the Turbo that had gone so got them both refurbished and now two months later the second Turbo don't come online. I am at my wits end.

The first Turbo comes online and boost about 0.5 or close to 0.6 and I just don't hear the second one spool at all. I have read the whole thread, just wondering where to start? I have replace most of the vacuum hose at the Turbo side.

I'm replacing every hose on the turbo side next week , if it does not work it's going to SRD lol

I'm just hoping I don't have to spend a lot to get this fixed. I think the love for the Supra is taking a downhill for turn for now.

This sound silly but I got a new car alarm installed yesterday and that's when it started not to boost properly, just a thought but surly a car alarm with immobilizer can't effect the performance right?

Shouldn't do, unless the installer has knicked a vac hose or something but very unlikely.

Mine is now boosting properly but I'm sure the 2nd turbo has a bearing on the way out! Making a bit of a raspy noise on lift off in the low Rev ranges. Need to get them off and checked over but wont have time for a few weeks. Kinda sounds like a lightened flywheel rattle if anyone has any ideas?

• 6 months later...

Just to keep this thread up to date my second turbo issue is now solved ..... In the end it was a Intercooler pipe, looks like it had a slight nick which eventually split

Now it's all running good and that I have replaced ALL vacuum pipes it's alot more sharper hitting boost now so very pleased I replaced them ...

Shouldn't do, unless the installer has knicked a vac hose or something but very unlikely.

Mine is now boosting properly but I'm sure the 2nd turbo has a bearing on the way out! Making a bit of a raspy noise on lift off in the low Rev ranges. Need to get them off and checked over but wont have time for a few weeks. Kinda sounds like a lightened flywheel rattle if anyone has any ideas?

Same sort of noise it was making at bluewater dude?

• 10 years later...

Thread resurrection after over a decade. Just thought I would add to the list of solutions given in this thread for no boost on the second turbo. I’ve found this particular thread really useful for diagnosing and ruling out everything else.
The car had been off the road for many years until recently but it has always ran at BPU level 1.2 bar for pretty much all my ownership.
My car randomly lost boost last year whilst driving, there was no drama, no noise, no smoke or anything. First turbo came online but at 4000 Revs it dumped all boost. I went through everything suggested on this thread and discovered a few minor issues with my sequential system fixing them along the way. Turns out my major issue was the turbine wheel on the second turbo had sheared clean off. There was no debris so must have shot straight out the exhaust, it was literally the last thing possible that could have been the problem but should be sorted now after fitting a pair of hybrids from Whifbitz. I’ve learnt a lot from doing this work myself, and thanks to anyone that has helped with advice along the way.

Ive attached a couple of photos of what I found and what the stock turbos should look like with a turbine wheel attached for reference.

Maybe this post will help someone else in the future, it’s probably the worst case scenario but just shows it can happen without any symptoms or warning.

IMG_2051.jpeg

D20690B2-2496-4981-B7F3-258302F44E1B.jpeg

63AB4A8B-232A-40F1-9E37-A4DE236FC7AB.jpeg

Its not unknown with old ceramic turbos, but its normally the 1st turbo as it does the majority of the work. People seem to have this acceptance that 1.2bar is safe, anything over a bar is risking it on old ceramic turbos, 1.1 max, the difference in turbo speed between the 2 is probably a lot.

But thats a shit job to do in the car, Ive pulled the engine out in the past to change turbos, my first port of call is usually TTC mode

Edited by Swampy442 (see edit history)