mplavery

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How have you figured that out mate ?

Im thinking thats the issue with mine as i have checked everything else

Im 99% sure....

1) There is no pressure when i remove the hose from the pressure tank (which is all NEW hosing, so cant be a fault there)

2) I can blow air down the pipe with my mouth into the pressure tank, so the tank is at fault i think :)

Any ideas on a price for a pressure tank ?

Im 99% sure....

1) There is no pressure when i remove the hose from the pressure tank (which is all NEW hosing, so cant be a fault there)

2) I can blow air down the pipe with my mouth into the pressure tank, so the tank is at fault i think :)

Any ideas on a price for a pressure tank ?

I think it was about £50 / £60 from Toyota

I think it was about £50 / £60 from Toyota

I see :)

I will make the phone call tomorrow to Mr Steve Manley and get it ordered :)

P.S - Id suggest to anyone to replace all the hoses in the bay if there getting old, as my turbo #1 is now stronger too! (due to small leaks here and there)

Edited by Mugello (see edit history)

Before i order a new pressure tank i decided to just check the two hoses coming directly off the pressure tank that joint to the metal hard pipe that goes around the back of the engine, seen on the left in this picture...

(The two hoses the other end of the metal hard pipe (turbo side) i have replaced)

They were a PITA to get at, and i couldnt get at them well enough to attempt to remove them. But they are caked in dirt/oil/grime so im hoping to replace these and find a split.

Failing this i will order a new pressure tank :p

Think I may have a similar problem - car was with paul at whifbitz for 3 hours yesterday - 95% of hoses checked bypassed boost controller checked all vsv's and replaced a couple but still no boost for 2nd turbo - also noticed there was no pressure in top vsv hose when removed which it should retain. Thanks to paul for all his efforts but we are now thinking it may be either the pressure tank hoses or the tank its self because there isn't any pressure being built as first turbo is just about getting to 0.5or 0.6 of boost -Im hoping to try and get a replacement which hopefully will cure problem or it could be the turbo itself- i hope not - let me know how you guy's are getting on

Judging by this thread I think there is a gremlin doing the rounds. My turbos work fine :) but it doesnt seem to boost as sharply as it used to, I'm thinking of replacing all of the vac pipes etc. what are you replacing them with? silicone? where from? sizes? :)

hope you all get it sorted soon and cheaply.

Rob

Think I may have a similar problem - car was with paul at whifbitz for 3 hours yesterday - 95% of hoses checked bypassed boost controller checked all vsv's and replaced a couple but still no boost for 2nd turbo - also noticed there was no pressure in top vsv hose when removed which it should retain. Thanks to paul for all his efforts but we are now thinking it may be either the pressure tank hoses or the tank its self because there isn't any pressure being built as first turbo is just about getting to 0.5or 0.6 of boost -Im hoping to try and get a replacement which hopefully will cure problem or it could be the turbo itself- i hope not - let me know how you guy's are getting on

Your problem sounds the same as mine :)

Im 99% sure its the pressure tank, but i will check the hoses i stated above (intake side) first.

Judging by this thread I think there is a gremlin doing the rounds. My turbos work fine :) but it doesnt seem to boost as sharply as it used to, I'm thinking of replacing all of the vac pipes etc. what are you replacing them with? silicone? where from? sizes? :)

hope you all get it sorted soon and cheaply.

Rob

I replaced all mine with vacuum hosing :)

I used 4mm/5mm and some 7mm (i think)

Your problem sounds the same as mine :)

Im 99% sure its the pressure tank, but i will check the hoses i stated above (intake side) first.

Its really annoying this issue so please let me know how you get on.

John

Its really annoying this issue so please let me know how you get on.

John

I will :)

I have just finished university now, so i have the time to attempt to resolve this issue ! Im 99% sure i know what it is, so should be an easy fix.

Moo

hi i have been reading through this threat. I am having very similar problems with the 2nd turbo not kicking in. I tried TTC and still only 0.6bar boost max. and a screaming sound when the 2nd turbo kicks in. But i realised today the 2nd turbos wastegate actuator rod is slightly open it won't close completly. i managed to open it with my hands a bit but it won't close completly could that cause the 2nd turbo not too kick in?

UPDATE

So today i had a spare hour or so, so decided to attempt to fix my second turbo issue....

Now im 99% sure its my pressure tank, however before i ordered one (£50-60ish) I wanted to change the two hoses that come directly off of the pressure tank itself (on the intake side) These two hoses are shown below in yellow, the pink hoses (on the turbo side) i have already changed, along with all the hoses on the turbo side...

http://img692.imageshack.us/img692/8646/pressuretankrear.jpg

Now these hoses were a PITA to get too, as i didnt have time to remove any parts on the intake side. However i managed to squeeze my hand/arm down the side/back of the engine to reach the two hoses....

You can see in the picture below how tight it was!! (even with the car jacked up and with lights underneath the car is was very difficult to even see the two hoses)

http://img35.imageshack.us/img35/2755/20120603161114.jpg

http://img543.imageshack.us/img543/118/20120603161124.jpg

However after some swearing and shouting and with a small blade i was able to cut the two hoses off (main issue is getting them off the metal pipes that run behind the engine) Onces these were off i replaced them with new hoses and put the car down :)

BUT :( after a test drive the second turbo still didnt come online..... (which i didnt think it would) so now im 100% sure it has to be the pressure tank (if not im very confused)

Shame mate... I'm at your stage my self but have not had the chance to test the pressure tank

I will hopefully be getting it on the ramp soon and pumping some air in the system to see if it drops or not

Keep the updates coming !

Shame mate... I'm at your stage my self but have not had the chance to test the pressure tank

I will hopefully be getting it on the ramp soon and pumping some air in the system to see if it drops or not

Keep the updates coming !

Well im going to wait till after then bank holidays and order a pressure tank then :)

(Im certain its the pressure tank) If its still not fixed after a new pressure tank then its back to the drawing board.

Bank holiday has set me back a couple of days, but i am ordering a new tank tomorrow :)

Now.....

Do i either, remove all the inlet manifold etc.. to unbolt the old tank and replace it?

or....

Mount the new tank in the bay and just connect it up ? (Leaving the old tank in place but disconnected) I kinda want to mount it in a more easier place to access, but i dont really want the old one just left there......

The existing pressure tank is held in by bolts (im guessing) anyone know how many ? Are they easy to get to from underneath ??

EDIT

Just found this....

http://www.mkiv.com/manual/manualtt/pressure_tank_replacement/pressure_tank.JPG

Doesnt really show how its held in place tbh.... Looks like a push fitting??

Edited by Mugello (see edit history)

It's just a push fitting. It's a bit tight down there though

So do you think it would pop/push out if it didnt remove the inlet ?

Also i have just ordered a new pressure tank from steve manley was £64.07 but with his discount for us was £56.39 :) Due to being mid week now, it will arrive early next week (Non in stock, its coming from Europe)

Just to update you guys.. I got the car back today and all is fine and its boosting with the second turbo as it should : )..

All the vsv's and the pressure tank were checked out and they were fine. The problem for me was the two pipes against the firewall that came off the pressure tank that ran behind the engine. These were split pretty bad so were replaced along with any others that looked tired and its now running fine.. Hope you guys get yours sorted. I know its a nightmare..