The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Manwithsupra's Racing Supra Project thread

ManwithSupra

You're spending a lot of time and money making this car work properly. I'm glad it's going to be used in anger :)

Many people on here could learn lessons from you about how to set up a track car.

Cheers mate; I really want to wring the best I can out of the chassis.

The only way to do that is to get the kit that allows you to do it properly.

I still need to get some other bits (camber and toe angle gauges etc.) but there are other ways of measuring and adjusting these parameters with just using the string lines, rulers and levels which is what I will do for now.... maybe :sly:

Pleased to say the Hubstands arrived on Monday and the String line kit on will be with me tomorrow :D

Just leaves me to get a Smart Camber Gauge and I will be all ready to set the car up properly :)

I dont think I will have time this weekend to do this so it looks I will be heading to SRR on Monday with a basic setup.

When I finally get around to do the car I will post up here the before and after results as well as progress and setup pictures. I am heading out on track on the 1st May so "hopefully" I will have it all done by then :)

Pleased to say the Hubstands arrived on Monday and the String line kit on will be with me tomorrow :D

Just leaves me to get a Smart Camber Gauge and I will be all ready to set the car up properly :)

I dont think I will have time this weekend to do this so it looks I will be heading to SRR on Monday with a basic setup.

When I finally get around to do the car I will post up here the before and after results as well as progress and setup pictures. I am heading out on track on the 1st May so "hopefully" I will have it all done by then :)

Shame you can't make the 6th may at Lydden, show everyone how it's done on track

Where are you getting the track geometry values from mate?

I wouldn't mind knowing what a good set-up equates to in degrees and such.

Where are you getting the track geometry values from mate?

I wouldn't mind knowing what a good set-up equates to in degrees and such.

Well I am starting off with the settings Ryan had on the car first, which although are really good I found the car still suffered from a bit of understeer when entering fast tight bends, so I will be looking at getting that sorted without compromising straightline stability too much.

The nice thing is all the kit I have is pretty mobile so taking it all to the track is not too much of a hassle.

So it’s pretty much going to be Adjust, Log Settings, Test then back in to check tyre temperatures (Inside, Inside Middle, Middle, Middle Outer and Outer) to make sure that areas across the width of the tyre are not being overworked too much and if they are see what I can change with the Geo settings.

I can pop up the settings afterwards but as my car has a vastly different chassis and engine position setup I am not sure if the settings that work on mine will work well on a Stock chassis.

Still... you are welcome to give them a go :)

check tyre temperatures (Inside, Inside Middle, Middle, Middle Outer and Outer)

I'm gonna need wider tyres, mine didn't come with that many sections!:D

I can pop up the settings afterwards but as my car has a vastly different chassis and engine position setup I am not sure if the settings that work on mine will work well on a Stock chassis.

I know what you mean mate, I suppose the reason for such a comprehensive test bed is so you can actually adjust to your individual needs on the fly, so to speak, and have a truely bespoke set-up. More power to you for considering the fundamentals of going fast by the way, it is very impressive to say the least.

I want to address some of the limiting factors of the stock wishbones myself, caster and camber primarily. I'm toying with the idea of getting new inner tubes made for the polybushes I installed. The tubes would have their centre bores offset which would add a small amount to the caster and camber available.

Thing is I would like to know a bit more about the relationship between the two and if there is an ideal ratio, given certain parameters. Then I'd like to find out if there is an ideal ratio for camber, front:rear, in order to create a handling package that is both enjoyable to drive (I do enjoy a touch of the dramatics from time to time) but not at the expense of forward momentum.

Basically I want to go as fast as you, but for a damn sight less money and time spent under the car!:)

I know what you mean mate, I suppose the reason for such a comprehensive test bed is so you can actually adjust to your individual needs on the fly, so to speak, and have a truely bespoke set-up. More power to you for considering the fundamentals of going fast by the way, it is very impressive to say the least.

Thank you mate, I try to live by "If you're going to do it do it right first time" sort of attitude, the work that Ryan done on the car reflects this same attitude and therefore I would want to keep that "bloodline" running through the car even when it comes to setup. I am also a little bit “James May” about this sort of thing, I like learning and this is something that I would one day like to get into properly... I guess we will see.

I want to address some of the limiting factors of the stock wishbones myself, caster and camber primarily. I'm toying with the idea of getting new inner tubes made for the polybushes I installed. The tubes would have their centre bores offset which would add a small amount to the caster and camber available.

From what I have seen, especially when Steve L was racing his Supra he found that there was not enough adjustment using the Stock Camber cams, I am pretty sure Paul Whiffin had some Polybushes made which allowed for greater Camber adjustments. It May be worth having a chat with him.. I personally am thinking about getting fully adjustable top arms and seeing how much extra adjustment that will give me... for now though I think we will be ok..

Basically I want to go as fast as you, but for a damn sight less money and time spent under the car!:)
:) I know what you mean.... Makes me realise that I have a very patient wife (although it does help she is really into cars too:)) Edited by ManwithSupra (see edit history)

:) I know what you mean.... Makes me realise that I have a very patient wife (although it does help she is really into cars too:))

You & me both mate, my wife Catherine is an absolute saint when it comes to this particular past-time, she insists I nurture the habit despite the complete lack of enjoyment she gets from it.

I bought her a new(ish) car for christmas partly as a way to say thank you.

She cried.:)

Why? Did you get her a Prius then lmao?

Nah mate, she hasn't got shred of interest in cars in general but she does have plenty of self respect, a Prius was never an option.

I bought her a Suzuki Swift and she promptly christened it Jonathon.:blink:

I think it was the 12 month dealer warranty and the two year NCT (Irish MOT) that actually moved her to tears.

She'd been through nearly twenty beaters in the ten years prior to us getting together, buy anything with a bit of tax & test, drive it until it either stops or requires a test, scrap it & buy another!

Went to SRR yesterday with Ryan to see if I can get squeeze some more power out of the car :)

Unfortunately as the flat floor is so low there was no chance of getting on SRR's Dyno :(

This meant that I could not really go for more power (I didn’t really want to go out on the road to do it) even so it wasn’t a wasted day. Ryan made sure the car was running right and that the fuelling was correct, We actually found that the car was running a bit Rich so Ryan pulled some of the fuelling back, Ryan also updated the firmware on the ECU as well as sorting an issue with the switch for the Traction Control.

Now that I know the car is running perfectly I am really looking forward to going out on track on the 1st May.

Here are some pics from the day..

attachment.php?attachmentid=185201&stc=1&d=1399464987

attachment.php?attachmentid=185202&stc=1&d=1399464987

attachment.php?attachmentid=185203&stc=1&d=1399464987

Now I just need to find a Hub Dyno somewhere in the south preferably around the same distance as SRR from Southampton.

66003_454563817951600_347508806_n.jpg

387354_454567894617859_86649920_n.jpg

404668_454568881284427_1519926102_n.jpg

Edited by ManwithSupra (see edit history)

why not come up to Advanced Motorsport near silverstone they have a hub dyno granted it's a little further but it's not that far from you :)

Yeah I may have to... actually that’s got me thinking I wonder if I may be able to coincide it with a track day at Silverstone a day after... hmmmmm

Went to SRR yesterday with Ryan to see if I can get squeeze some more power out of the car :)

Unfortunately as the flat floor is so low there was no chance of getting on SRR's Dyno :(

This meant that I could not really go for more power (I didn’t really want to go out on the road to do it) even so it wasn’t a wasted day. Ryan made sure the car was running right and that the fuelling was correct, We actually found that the car was running a bit Rich so Ryan pulled some of the fuelling back, Ryan also updated the firmware on the ECU as well as sorting an issue with the switch for the Traction Control.

Now that I know the car is running perfectly I am really looking forward to going out on track on the 1st May.

Here are some pics from the day..

https://fbcdn-sphotos-e-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn1/66003_454563817951600_347508806_n.jpg

https://fbcdn-sphotos-f-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-frc1/387354_454567894617859_86649920_n.jpg

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn1/404668_454568881284427_1519926102_n.jpg

Now I just need to find a Hub Dyno somewhere in the south preferably around the same distance as SRR from Southampton.

That is one sexy Supra, you need some of my carbon bits to finish it off!

Austec have a good set up in Crawley near Gatwick, might be worth giving john (dude) a shout?

Looks amazing by the way. :)

Cheers, do they have a Hub Dyno then?

I am thinking I will probably want to use a Hub Dyno from now on as since I have been looking for places that have Hub dynos I have read horror stories of people using Rolling type Dyno's and them destroying R888's very quickly... not what you want when each tyre costs £250!!

I am thinking I will probably want to use a Hub Dyno from now on as since I have been looking for places that have Hub dynos I have read horror stories of people using Rolling type Dyno's and them destroying R888's very quickly... not what you want when each tyre costs £250!!

TDi has a very good hub dyno ;)

That is one sexy Supra, you need some of my carbon bits to finish it off!

Cheers mate :)

I may be interested in a full carbon version of the windscreen cover plate you posted up on your FB page.

But that would only be for cosmetic reasons as the one I have is looking a bit old (it being 20 this year lol).

I am changing all the interior aluminium panels to carbon, which I will be starting in the next couple of weeks (Although I keep saying that lol).

But I really only want to change things to carbon if they are going to save weight as I am not really a huge fan of carbon for looks.

Most of the external carbon work I have planned on the car will be keyed and painted (Wings, Bonnet, Rear hatch, Doors etc.) so things like the overall finish (weave straightness etc.) won’t be an issue.

- - - Updated - - -

TDi has a very good hub dyno ;)

Yeah I was reading up on their site the other day, They may be an option to use :)

Will need to speak to Ryan to see what can be arranged etc.