The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Manwithsupra's Racing Supra Project thread

ManwithSupra

How do you plan to cornor weight it I always though you need adjustable drop links was the correct way ?

Yep correct, I got a OEM replacement ones as I need to move the car out of the workshop this weekend and the ones I wanted to get would not have arrived in time.

I will be using adjustable ones for when I corner weight the car, I was thinking of using these... http://www.demon-tweeks.co.uk/performance/anti-roll-bars/whiteline-universal-ball-joint-drop-links

Link amended...

Edited by ManwithSupra (see edit history)

Yep correct, I got a OEM replacement ones as I need to move the car out of the workshop this weekend and the ones I wanted to get would not have arrived in time.

I will be using adjustable ones for when I corner weight the car, I was thinking of using these... http://www.demon-tweeks.co.uk/performance/anti-roll-bars/whiteline-universal-ball-joint-drop-links

Link amended...

Ah okay :) whiteline are a good make. I have seen some on ebay.com by megan racing think they do lots of other supra suspension parts like pillow ball traction and control arms very good prices aswell but would have the pain of waiting for them .

Ah okay :) whiteline are a good make. I have seen some on ebay.com by megan racing think they do lots of other supra suspension parts like pillow ball traction and control arms very good prices aswell but would have the pain of waiting for them .

Yeah I have seen the Megan racing stuff before, Never really heard anything about them, but then I never really looked into it all before :)

I will have a look and do a bit of investigation

Oh If anyone is interested I will have a very good condition set of (refurbished by Chris Wilson) Ohlin Coilovers up for sale shortly.

I will get some Pics up of these this weekend.

• 2 weeks later...

Managed to find some nice alone time this lovely sunny saturday to finish off installing the rear Nitrons.

attachment.php?attachmentid=167112&stc=1&d=1365419149

attachment.php?attachmentid=167113&stc=1&d=1365419149

attachment.php?attachmentid=167114&stc=1&d=1365419149

attachment.php?attachmentid=167116&stc=1&d=1365419149

attachment.php?attachmentid=167117&stc=1&d=1365419157

Just a quick shot of the car which reminds me I really have to get on and tidy up my workshop!!

attachment.php?attachmentid=167115&stc=1&d=1365419149

Just waiting for my adjustable drop links to arrive and then I can get on with improving the static Weight Distribution and then make start on cross weighting the car properly. During this time I will be also making my pad levelling plates which I will post up the progress on when my Bench drill finally arrives too lol :rolleyes: ....

IMAG0721.jpg

IMAG0723.jpg

IMAG0724.jpg

IMAG0726.jpg

IMAG0727.jpg

IMAG0731.jpg

I really need to stop looking at your threads.

They make me bitterly aware of what could be done to my own if I only had less of an emotional investment in the blood suckers that trail me constantly.:taped:

This car epitomises cool, and despite being a monster when you got it you really have taken it to the next level, those in the know would certainly approve.

You sir, are my hero!:salute:

Managed to find some nice alone time this lovely sunny saturday to finish off installing the rear Nitrons.

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/attachment.php?attachmentid=167112&stc=1&d=1365419149

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/attachment.php?attachmentid=167113&stc=1&d=1365419149

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/attachment.php?attachmentid=167114&stc=1&d=1365419149

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/attachment.php?attachmentid=167116&stc=1&d=1365419149

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/attachment.php?attachmentid=167117&stc=1&d=1365419157

Just a quick shot of the car which reminds me I really have to get on and tidy up my workshop!!

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/attachment.php?attachmentid=167115&stc=1&d=1365419149

Just waiting for my adjustable drop links to arrive and then I can get on with improving the static Weight Distribution and then make start on cross weighting the car properly. During this time I will be also making my pad levelling plates which I will post up the progress on when my Bench drill finally arrives too lol :rolleyes: ....

Very nice Richard, where did you get the adjustable drop links from or have you had them made?

I really need to stop looking at your threads.

They make me bitterly aware of what could be done to my own if I only had less of an emotional investment in the blood suckers that trail me constantly.:taped:

This car epitomises cool, and despite being a monster when you got it you really have taken it to the next level, those in the know would certainly approve.

You sir, are my hero!:salute:

Why thank you :) thats very kind of you to say mate :grouphug:

I want to keep the car as hardcore and as track focused at possible.

Ryan had done an amazing job on the car before I got it; I only feel that it’s fair to keep improving it at the same level of quality that it deserves.

I am looking forward to reuniting Ryan with his Ex in the next couple weeks are SRR, whilst he is in contact with the updates on the car (via the FB page) I wonder what he honestly thinks, should be interesting to find out :cool:

There are plenty more updates on the way :eyebrows: One of the the biggest updates will be when I will be replacing all the interior aluminium panels which are currently covering the space frame parts in the cockpit with Honeycomb Core Carbon Fibre panels which will offer extreme lightness (upto 70% lighter) as well as having the needed strength too. I am looking to save a lot of weight in the car with doing this.

Very nice Richard, where did you get the adjustable drop links from or have you had them made?

Cheers mate, Nah I just ordered the Whiteline ones.

They come in adjustable lengths so have ordered the ones which suit the OEM lenth but also have plenty of room for adjustment

It's to remove any pretension on the ARB so you can set your cross weight (the weight between the rear left wheel and right front wheel)

When you set up cross weight you have to disconnect the drop links as any pretension on the ARB will cause an incorrect setup.

Once you have set the cross weight without the drop links connected and were to reconnect OEM standard droplinks they may put tension back on the ARB which will then cause the cross weight to shift. Adjustable drop links allow you to remove the pretension on the ARB which means the cross weight won't change after you connect it all back up.

You can also use them to increase the stiffness of the bar by shortening or lengthening both droplinks. As I have adjustable ARBs I won't need to worry about that.

Cross weight is important as it determines how your car handles in the corners.

You want to have the weight as close as possible to 50% (within a half of a percentage) this means your car will act the same in a left hand corner as a right hand corner, if the percentage is not 50% then your car will be better in say a left hand corner and worse in right hand corner.

It’s not so important on a road car (although it would be beneficial) but it’s very important on a track car.

Very nice - love the car :thumbs:

Could you post up a photo of the adjustable links when you get them please? I was going to make some for exactly this reason but if Whiteline ones do the job..... :)

Yeah of course mate, I will be updating this thread with the whole suspension setup process once I have done it.

nice build mate i've just had a read of the last few pages, will have a read of the lot when i get time :) those nitrons are stunning!

pics of the adjustable ARB links are on that demon thieves link, but heres a pic:

the centre part works as a turnbuckle i think so when you turn it, the end to end length adjusts (correct me if i'm wrong people)

Another couple of additions to my suspension setup kit...

BBX Racing Hubstands and a String lines kit.

This kit allows a complete suspension and alignment set-up - ride heights, camber, castor and toe angles without the wheels and tyres attached and with accuracy being measured to within 0.1 degree. The equipment also eliminates the need to constantly roll the car on and off the scales which greatly reduces set-up time.

Each set also comes with Toe Sticks, for "stringing" systems at the bottom of the HUBStands for measuring total toe.

Should be fun :D