The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Manwithsupra's Racing Supra Project thread

ManwithSupra

Is the water rad in the stock location? I was a bit confused when I read "expansion tank". Not being pedantic, but it would make it easier if you were to call it a "header tank". An expansion tank, strictly speaking, does not have a pressure cap and the contents are at atmospheric pressure.

You may need to add a small bore (1/4 inch) air bleed from near the water pump, and from the highest point on the water rad, to the header tank. They help stop air getting trapped and causing hot spots. Did you use a dye to look for carbon monoxide in the coolant, or a gas analyser?

Yeah I meant header tank lol :)

I wouldn't say its in the stock location as I have a V-Mount setup,

I used a block tester, you know the fluid that goes from blue to yellow in the presence of CO2.

Feck it mate, I say give yourself a pat on the back for catching the problem before it did any real harm, about an hour into the next track event!

If you're lucky you might get enough room to remove the head with the engine still in situ if you raise the back of the gearbox as high as it'll go. Depending on the clearance afforded by the new tunnel.

I don't know if I'd like to be footing the parts bill for a similar job on a Noble or Ultima. Supras can bite you in the ass but at least they don't pull your trousers down first!

Feck it mate, I say give yourself a pat on the back for catching the problem before it did any real harm, about an hour into the next track event!

If you're lucky you might get enough room to remove the head with the engine still in situ if you raise the back of the gearbox as high as it'll go. Depending on the clearance afforded by the new tunnel.

I don't know if I'd like to be footing the parts bill for a similar job on a Noble or Ultima. Supras can bite you in the ass but at least they don't pull your trousers down first!

:goodpost: :clap:

Sounds like you caught it just in time.

What pressure cap are you running and do you have a similar setup to stock where pressure can be released if needed, i.e its not a sealed system is it?

Its running a 1.1bar pressure cap on the rad and apart from that it is indeed a sealed system (Header tank does not have a pressure relief cap on it or open atmosphere vent). I must admit I was a little confused on why the header tank does not have a relief valve or cap when I bought the car, that said though I didn't think to question it at the time.

Cheers, Yeah I may have enough room looking at it, I will have to take the windscreen out but that's not so bad.

Its running a 1.1bar pressure cap on the rad and apart from that it is indeed a sealed system (Header tank does not have a pressure relief cap on it or open atmosphere vent). I must admit I was a little confused on why the header tank does not have a relief valve or cap when I bought the car, that said though I didn't think to question it at the time.

The stock system is designed to be vented isnt it, I would rectify that, should be fairly easy to do too.

The stock system is designed to be vented isn't it, I would rectify that, should be fairly easy to do too.

Yeah, I will need to replace the header tank anyway as on closer inspection it is has a pin sized hole in a weld now and of course the fact its swollen. So may as well turn the system back to how the stock setup works.

Actually thinking about that the radiator is lower than the engine (as its mounted at 45 degrees) will that cause any issues If I was to revert it to a stock type setup? I wouldn't have thought so but its worth an ask.

Sorry to see this I hope you get it sorted soon mate , I am thinking about something like the rad setup on this track supra below . Also been meaning to ask you is having the fuel pump/lines in the boot approved ?I was looking through Steve's L build and his swirl pot and lines were mounted above the diff not sure what to do on my build.

http://img211.imageshack.us/img211/6863/dz58.jpg

Sorry to see this I hope you get it sorted soon mate , I am thinking about something like the rad setup on this track supra below . Also been meaning to ask you is having the fuel pump/lines in the boot approved ?I was looking through Steve's L build and his swirl pot and lines were mounted above the diff not sure what to do on my build.

http://img211.imageshack.us/img211/6863/dz58.jpg

Cheers dude :)

Yeah that setup needs an external header as it does not look like it has a cap on the actual rad itself, the pressure relief on the header tank vents to the stock coolant tank.

I assume you mean approved you mean MSA/FIA approved.

No having the fuel lines/tank/swirl pot open to the cockpit is not approved, You need a firewall between the fuel system and the cockpit.

I am looking at changing my tank to an ATL bladder unit in which all the fuel lines will be re-routed and the rear section sealed off. Come to think of it I may as well do that while the car is undergoing the other work.

Cheers dude :)

Yeah that setup needs an external header as it does not look like it has a cap on the actual rad itself, the pressure relief on the header tank vents to the stock coolant tank.

I assume you mean approved you mean MSA/FIA approved.

No having the fuel lines/tank/swirl pot open to the cockpit is not approved, You need a firewall between the fuel system and the cockpit.

I am looking at changing my tank to an ATL bladder unit in which all the fuel lines will be re-routed and the rear section sealed off. Come to think of it I may as well do that while the car is undergoing the other work.

I am guessing the benefit of the above setup is better cooling but not sure yet seems a normal rad can hold the temps okay. Yea MSA/FIA like you I will try to aim to keep to the regs as its not a bad thing to do I guess, thanks for that I am guessing one could mount everything in the spare wheel well and then plate it off and this would be a firewall ?.

mate sorry to se this , hope you find the time to get it sorted and get back on track at some point this year

Cheers mate, Yeah it will be all sorted fairly quickly, my wife has been awesome about it by saying take all the time you need to sort it. Reminds me that I have a very rare woman :)

I am guessing one could mount everything in the spare wheel well and then plate it off and this would be a firewall ?.

Are you keeping the stock tank? If so then yeah the swirl pot can be installed in the well and you can plate it off that should pass, although it would be best to check with the scrutineers that run the event you plan on doing for guidance on this. If you cant speak to them then you can purchase a MSA yearbook which details everything (this is the link to the 2012 book http://www.msauk.org/site/cms/contentviewarticle.asp?article=1122)

If you are having a new tank installed (like an ATL tank) you will need to install the tank in a approved metal enclosure (with a sealed lid) and then that separated by a firewall.

Cheers mate, Yeah it will be all sorted fairly quickly, my wife has been awesome about it by saying take all the time you need to sort it. Reminds me that I have a very rare woman :)

very true mine would say get rid of it now dont you think you have spent enough !

i do think your going about it the right way , the preasure to bend that header tank like that must of been great and would expect any head gasket to go , some sort of preasure release may of save you in the feuture.

luckly you have a spare engine if the worst happend, keep at it mate it truely is the best toy a man could have love it

very true mine would say get rid of it now dont you think you have spent enough !

i do think your going about it the right way , the preasure to bend that header tank like that must of been great and would expect any head gasket to go , some sort of preasure release may of save you in the feuture.

luckly you have a spare engine if the worst happend, keep at it mate it truely is the best toy a man could have love it

Yeah true, glad that my other engine has not sold yet - May keep hold of it for now just in case something is major fubard... although I am tempted to purchase the fully built VVTi engine that Paul has at the moment (and switching the heads over if the one I have is fine) or purchasing one of the special offer blocks he has for sale.

Yeah true, glad that my other engine has not sold yet - May keep hold of it for now just in case something is major fubard... although I am tempted to purchase the fully built VVTi engine that Paul has at the moment (and switching the heads over if the one I have is fine) or purchasing one of the special offer blocks he has for sale.

that block is a bargin i was looking at that and its got the non vvti inlet cam so you wouldnt even need to change the heads over iirc

that block is a bargin i was looking at that and its got the non vvti inlet cam so you wouldnt even need to change the heads over iirc

Ah I would like to keep the head that I have now if its not cracked or warped (it has not overheated so shouldn't be warped) as its had a lot of work done by Swindon race engines.

Edited by ManwithSupra (see edit history)

Sorry to hear that mate. I hope you get it running back soon. ;)

Cheers mate, Yeah I hope so too.

I am kinda hoping the rear vibration issue is a simple fix, the prop is off on its way to get checked so hopefully its just this.

Its just two fairly major problems in one go I think got me down a bit lol.

But I am starting to get into mend it mode now :)

Cheers mate, Yeah I hope so too.

I am kinda hoping the rear vibration issue is a simple fix, the prop is off on its way to get checked so hopefully its just this.

Its just two fairly major problems in one go I think got me down a bit lol.

But I am starting to get into mend it mode now :)

:thumbs: