The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Manwithsupra's Racing Supra Project thread

ManwithSupra

Transmission.

Yep, I am looking to replace the 6 Speed Getrag gearbox with a Quaife 69G Sequential system, I have been in contact with Quaife and some engineering companies about making an adapter plate for the gearbox to the Stock Getrag housing, things are going well, but progress on this will remain slow as it’s not a priority.

Ok, now I am truely sickened.

I would love one of these kits but seeing as the purchase price is about 3 times what I paid for the car I have absolutely no chance of getting one.

First dibbs if you ever sell it though!!:D

Some fantastic stuff being done to the car Richard and all in keeping with Ryan's original efforts, top work fella, this will be mind bending when complete.

My Tractive sequential has been 100% fantastic, I stripped it over the winter and found nothing to do to it whatsoever, so just changed the seals and rebuilt it. It even comes with a full pictorial DVD from the makers, showing a full strip and rebuild. ALL parts are on the shelf in Sweden, and I get them in 2 days, next day if desperate. try that with Quaife.... he hee :) I can change overall gear ratio via drop gears in 20 minutes. It's light. It's very compact, and it has been 100% reliable and a joy to use, and used re sale values are superb. A five speed is all you will need on a 3 litre car. If you send them an auto bell housing they'll make an adapter plate. They'll supply it with a prop flange to suit your desired prop. The gear lever is a work of art in itself. It'll take a Pro-Shift paddle shift conversion if you have deep pockets. I just push and pull manually :)

http://www.tractive.se/products/rwd-seq-shift-gearboxes__11

Edited by Chris Wilson (see edit history)

My Tractive sequential has been 100% fantastic, I stripped it over the winter and found nothing to do to it whatsoever, so just changed the seals and rebuilt it. It even comes with a full pictorial DVD from the makers, showing a full strip and rebuild. ALL parts are on the shelf in Sweden, and I get them in 2 days, next day if desperate. try that with Quaife.... he hee :) I can change overall gear ratio via drop gears in 20 minutes. It's light. It's very compact, and it has been 100% reliable and a joy to use, and used re sale values are superb. A five speed is all you will need on a 3 litre car. If you send them an auto bell housing they'll make an adapter plate. They'll supply it with a prop flange to suit your desired prop. The gear lever is a work of art in itself. It'll take a Pro-Shift paddle shift conversion if you have deep pockets. I just push and pull manually :)

http://www.tractive.se/products/rwd-seq-shift-gearboxes__11

Interesting, what sort of prices do these boxes come out at?

I was reading that lead times on replacement parts from Quaife are poor which did concern me.

I would prefer to have a transmission with available replacement parts readily available so Tractive maybe a good option to look at.

Edited by ManwithSupra (see edit history)

Interesting, what sort of prices do these boxes come out at?

I was reading that lead times on replacement parts from Quaife are poor which did concern me.

I would prefer to have a transmission with available replacement parts readily available so Tractive maybe a good option to look at.

Is imagine it'll be 3 times the price of the Quaife, you pay for what you get though like most things.

• 1 month later...

A small update with regards to the steering wheel project.

I am going to be running a Race technologies Dash4pro OLED unit on the wheel as a slave device.

This is so I can see everything going on at once on the wheel as I find the Dash2 a little hard to read.

I will be keeping the Dash2 that I have already as the master unit but I will be moving the location of this to the middle of the dash.

I have the rest of the controls to add to the wheel, such as traction control slip, bhp maps etc, in the meantime here is what the Dash4pro mount looks like.

http://a8.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-prn1/555514_10150994464103802_1305516771_n.jpg

Running a bit behind today due to some awful stomach bug...

Firstly Just made sure the carbon panel is an exact fit.

attachment.php?attachmentid=155337&stc=1&d=1343585871

Then sprayed the front display mount black.

attachment.php?attachmentid=155338&stc=1&d=1343585871

I then fabricated the rear cable sturdy out of carbon fibre.

attachment.php?attachmentid=155339&stc=1&d=1343585871

attachment.php?attachmentid=155340&stc=1&d=1343585871

Over the next few days I will update with the wiring etc, then once up and running show some vids of it all working :)

IMAG0184.jpg

IMAG0183.jpg

IMAG0188.jpg

IMAG0189.jpg