The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Manwithsupra's Racing Supra Project thread

ManwithSupra

Sorry, I made a typo in the last post, it's SR*F* fluid, not SR*P*! I have to do all the donkey work myself, last year it got pretty gruelling, and now with my father in law terminal, and us driving hundreds of miles after work each week, visiting him, I am knackered before I even start . I know plenty who have raced effectively into their seventies, but they always had a crew of younger stuff to do the hard work, they just got in a pedalled like hell for a few laps, then collapsed in the bar :)

Sorry, I made a typo in the last post, it's SR*F* fluid, not SR*P*! I have to do all the donkey work myself, last year it got pretty gruelling, and now with my father in law terminal, and us driving hundreds of miles after work each week, visiting him, I am knackered before I even start . I know plenty who have raced effectively into their seventies, but they always had a crew of younger stuff to do the hard work, they just got in a pedalled like hell for a few laps, then collapsed in the bar :)

Ah yeah I did a search for SRP and found out its called SRF it seems others made the mistakes too hehe :)

Yeah if you are doing loads of driving and supporting family in distressing times that’s not only physically tiring but emotionally as well.

Edited by ManwithSupra (see edit history)

Some videos of my recent day at goodwood...

Had a problem with the car on the way home, not sure if the Diff, Driveshaft, Wheel bearing failed but got lots of Violent Vibration going over 25 mph so much so it was impossible to drive so had to get it recovered.

Will be doing a strip down this weekend to find what the issue is as well as checking everything else too.

Still its all part of the fun :)

Was a great track day though... still buzzing now!

Spent a few moments last night having a look at the DL1 datalogger data from the trackday.

Really impressive bit of software this, so many things it can do.

Going to spend some time learning how to use it properly but I am getting the idea slowly.

Quick screenshot :)

[/url]

It is a great bit of kit, have you got it reading info from the CAN bus as well, you can log all sorts of fun then ;)

• 2 weeks later...

Got some bad news I am afraid...In addition to the rear vibration issue I found on the way back from the track, I noticed the expansion tank had a lot of pressure in it (visually the Ali tank is swollen too) :( did a coolant sniff test and it confirms that there are exhaust gases in the coolant :(

Looking back at the logs the car has never overheated (temps were always around the 90'c on track and peaked at 96'c) and oil pressure has never dropped, there is no sign of water in the oil (white gunking) and there is no oil residue in the coolant, the engine starts and runs fine and there is no indication so this has come as a surprise that it failed on the sniff test.

I am a little gutted to be honest :(

Now don't get me wrong I don't mind doing the work to get the car back up and running (Although it will be pain to do as the engine will most likely need to be removed to do it due to it being so far back) but to be honest we are just getting into the track season and only been out on track twice this year so its a bit of a disappointment that I had these issues already and on components that very rarely fail on a 600bhp Single Supra :(

Makes me think I should have stuck to my guns when I was looking to change my Original Supra and got a Ultima GTR, Radical or a Noble instead :( Still I am sure (well I know) those have their niggles too. Probably feel like that cos I am a bit disappointed... :(:(

I am not really sure why I posted this really either maybe I am just a little it too gutted and wanted to share it with you to get a bit of encouragement.

Edited by ManwithSupra (see edit history)

Cheers for everyone's kind words, I know this is all part of having a track car as hardcore as this but I didn't suspect having a potential HG or cracked head issue etc so early on as so many supras run the same power I do without any issues at all.

It happens mate. The most frustrating thing about my whole diff-breaking incident last month was everyone's (and I do mean EVERYONE'S...) reaction: "Oh you broke a stock big diff? They NEVER break..." :rolleyes:

On to bigger and better things, I say. :)

It happens mate. The most frustrating thing about my whole diff-breaking incident last month was everyone's (and I do mean EVERYONE'S...) reaction: "Oh you broke a stock big diff? They NEVER break..." :rolleyes:

On to bigger and better things, I say. :)

Too right Dave, back in our Time Attack days I seem to be breaking things that nobody else was, oil pump exploding being one of them!

Cheers for everyone's kind words, I know this is all part of having a track car as hardcore as this but I didn't suspect having a potential HG or cracked head issue etc so early on as so many supras run the same power I do without any issues at all.

Yes but how many actually subject them to the abuse they take when on the track? There is a massive difference between running a single turbo'd 600bhp stock engine on the road compared to the track so don't be too disheartened.

Yes but how many actually subject them to the abuse they take when on the track? There is a massive difference between running a single turbo'd 600bhp stock engine on the road compared to the track so don't be too disheartened.

Yeah that's a fair point. I did suspect at somepoint something like this happening just not so early on lol.

Is the water rad in the stock location? I was a bit confused when I read "expansion tank". Not being pedantic, but it would make it easier if you were to call it a "header tank". An expansion tank, strictly speaking, does not have a pressure cap and the contents are at atmospheric pressure.

You may need to add a small bore (1/4 inch) air bleed from near the water pump, and from the highest point on the water rad, to the header tank. They help stop air getting trapped and causing hot spots. Did you use a dye to look for carbon monoxide in the coolant, or a gas analyser?