The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Manwithsupra's Racing Supra Project thread

ManwithSupra

Love that. I hope i can build something like that in the future :D

Could you give some Specs on the Öhlins? Is it adjustable?

Yep they are adjustable via top adjustment (Compression and Rebound).

They are also ride height adjustable via the spring seat and have tender (helper) springs.

They were refurbished by Chris Wilson on here before Ryan installed them on the car (hence the reason why they are not yellow and blue or Gold as they have been stripped and re-sprayed since) however since then they have not done more than 2k miles.

They are a good kit although I feel they are more suited to a road car rather than a racer hence the purchase of the Nitron kit.

I would like to also point out these are Japanese made Öhlins,

I did a bit of research on the kit and found out that Öhlin (in Sweden) partnered up with a Japanese manufacturer (which I could not find out) to build a more affordable line of shocks (using Öhlin specs) than the others they make in Sweden.

I am open to offers on these however I have an idea of what I want for them but I need to take them off the car and check them over first before I state a price.

Here is a picture of them before they went onto the car.

attachment.php?attachmentid=162132&stc=1&d=1356106984

402500_386591414748841_1917526318_n.jpg

Edited by ManwithSupra (see edit history)

• 1 month later...

Sorry didn’t get a chance to update this thread this weekend due to my Diff issue.

Thankfully the Particle magnet is now out of the diff casing and I didn’t have to remove the diff to do it.

Only took 8 hours in the cold.... don’t think I have ever had my arms above my head for that long...

I will update soon..:rolleyes:

• 2 weeks later...

Ok quick update when i have a few mins spare..

A few months ago no I installed the electronically operated fire extinguisher at the back of the passenger foot well.

Even though it added some weight I felt it was best to have some sort of fire system to protect the passenger and driver and to also have a better chance of damage limitation on the car.

The cockpit discharge nozzels are in the footwells and directed at seats as approved in MSA Regs, also in the engine bay one is pointed at the fuel system and the other at the hot side of the Turbo and Oil feeds.

attachment.php?attachmentid=166108&stc=1&d=1363614608

Then there is a bit of a gap on progress as there was a lot of building work being done on my workshop (New Roof, Walls, Installation of a Scissor lift etc).

During this time I have been looking at depth into the gearbox project, making measurements for this and many replacement carbon parts also developing a brake cooling ducting kit for the car as well.

Now that the workshop roof was done I had to get the car ready for a Dyno session with Ryan to up the power a bit on the car and adjust a few of the Maps etc, So this required doing a big fluids service and checking everything over. All went without hitch until I got to the Diff.

When undoing the drain plug the particulate magnet broke off inside the diff casing, all in all it took me 8 hours to remove it as somehow it had gone from circular to oval??

attachment.php?attachmentid=166109&stc=1&d=1363614959

attachment.php?attachmentid=166110&stc=1&d=1363614959

After all that it decided to Snow on the day so I had to cancle the Dyno day which is now put back until April sometime (Date TBA).

Since then I have been doing some other needed bits, heat wrapping the exhaust for one, mainly to help reduce the temps in the cockpit, I am still in the process of doing this but this gives you an idea.

attachment.php?attachmentid=166111&stc=1&d=1363615114

I have also finally made a start on fitting the Nitrons on the car.

Old setup..

attachment.php?attachmentid=166112&stc=1&d=1363615189

attachment.php?attachmentid=166113&stc=1&d=1363615189

attachment.php?attachmentid=166114&stc=1&d=1363615189

I think I am going to change the location of the remote control units but for now they are tied out of the way :)

I have to do the rears but at the moment I am pondering on where to cut the holes for the huge rubber grommets for the remote reservoirs

There is a lot more to add to this quick update but I had a spare 10 mins to give you all some info

78323_388745517866764_801688934_o.jpg

857506_434738876600761_545979908_o.jpg

644237_435111233230192_1707337316_n.jpg

883005_440697359338246_1513738543_o.jpg

892027_441106939297288_1706044738_o.jpg

883493_441107822630533_169513653_o.jpg

882793_441108285963820_371609620_o.jpg

Car looks awesome mate. Really liking the fire safety gear.

Is it a pain to service with the engine location

Not really no, the only awkward bit is the spark plugs but then thats not really that bad.

If anything its easier to do the oil filter etc as you dont have the big subframe brace in the way :)

The cooler in front of the passanger side wheel, what does that look after mate?

I have two, One in front is the engine oil cooler, the other one (angled backwards) maybe a PAS cooler?? I am not 100% sure tbh. I will need to have a look and follow the hoses back to the source to be sure...but thinking about it, it cant be anything else really (Engine oil cooler, Main Radiator & Intercooler... gearbox does not have a cooler feed (that I know of) and neither does the diff)...so it must be a PAS cooler as thats the only other thing the has liquid in it.. lol.

Whys that?

Just wondering how many other track cars have a ps cooler fitted, from comments posted by other members in a thread I posted recently I was lead to believe no one else had ever fitted one of these to a car as there would never, ever, EVER be a valid reason to fit one.:rolleyes:

So far there is mine, Paul Whiffin's and now it would appear that yours has one too.

Just wanted to see if I was that strange to be honest.

Just wondering how many other track cars have a ps cooler fitted, from comments posted by other members in a thread I posted recently I was lead to believe no one else had ever fitted one of these to a car as there would never, ever, EVER be a valid reason to fit one.:rolleyes:

So far there is mine, Paul Whiffin's and now it would appear that yours has one too.

Just wanted to see if I was that strange to be honest.

Ah I see, I would have thought though if you are using the car for track use it would make sense to fit a PAS cooler??

I have seen PAS coolers on many track cars??

Any fluid that’s under incredibly high pressure (probably around 600-700 psi) is going to get pretty hot and although the PAS system on the Supra has a separate reservoir which will help cool the fluid, the PAS system is designed for road use and not track use.. So adding a PAS cooler makes sense to me.

Not only that, I remember reading somewhere (I may be wrong) that the PAS system is constantly in use on the Supra even when moving at speed so putting the pump through some high and low speed corners over and over and over again is going to put the pump through some elevated stress... And even if fitting a cooler does not make a huge difference, fitting it for a precaution and peace of mind is well worth it!

How miffed would you be if a seal in your pump failed because it got too hot and ruined a £200 track day

I would rather fit a £150 cooler and make sure the pump is getting all the cooling it needs.

At least then you reduce the potential risk of it failing.

You definately need an oil cooler on a serious track car yes. We had problems with the ps fluid boiling up on our cars, fitted coolers and no more problems.

Just make sure you fit them in the air flow nicely and ideally duct them for maximum air flow through them.

This is for serious track use though where you are hacking round for at least 20 minutes without cooling down, most owners won't do that.