The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Manwithsupra's Racing Supra Project thread

ManwithSupra

Looking good :) , I just did rear uppers as it was the only ones I did not do on my powerflex arms did not need a press so if you get short on time drill as many holes as you can through the rubber bush part ,using a vice and a socket with a tube on the other end to allow the centre bush to push through it pops out easy leaving the steel inner ring use a air saw make 2 cuts tap and remove this then once the pressure has gone it just pops out with a screw driver did both in 1hr

Looking good :) , I just did rear uppers as it was the only ones I did not do on my powerflex arms did not need a press so if you get short on time drill as many holes as you can through the rubber bush part ,using a vice and a socket with a tube on the other end to allow the centre bush to push through it pops out easy leaving the steel inner ring use a air saw make 2 cuts tap and remove this then once the pressure has gone it just pops out with a screw driver did both in 1hr

Cheers mate, My press is through so should be OK, hopefully do this tonight or during the week If I can get away from the house and up to the workshop :)

• 3 weeks later...

For those who are interested.

Managed to take the car out for a couple of test drives this weekend and am happy to announce that the Vibration I was suffering is now gone.

Must have been a combination of a number of things but now its better than its ever been.

Also the cooling system is working well now that its been reverted back to a stock setup.

Lastly the oil leak on the turbo return line is now sorted too.

So I will be back with updates on when I Install the Ikeya Arms.. or when I get back out on track.

For those who are interested.

Managed to take the car out for a couple of test drives this weekend and am happy to announce that the Vibration I was suffering is now gone.

Must have been a combination of a number of things but now its better than its ever been.

Also the cooling system is working well now that its been reverted back to a stock setup.

Lastly the oil leak on the turbo return line is now sorted too.

So I will be back with updates on when I Install the Ikeya Arms.. or when I get back out on track.

Good stuff mate, nothing like a bit of positive progress to boost your morale when a series of set-backs has done what it can to sully the love.

I've heard rumours that Ikeya are now simply stamping their name onto old stock wishbones and fitting a few polybushes to them.

I think you should send the un-opened parcel directly to me and I will check this for you.

:)Dammit, I should've thought of this excellent plan while the Nitrons were still being serviced too!:sly:

I went to Donington and Oulton on Sunday, Donington to see what Special Saloons were there, (about 6, 3 looked like scrappers....). So we flogged the tickets in the car park to some young family! That trip was then diesel plus a tenner, and headed hot foot over to Oulton. Much more like, the place was buzzing with a huge crowd for the Gold Cup, and the place was a credit to Palmer. Immaculate! Some lovely cars and Martin O'Connell showed he'd lost none of his massive talent when he showed newer and potentially much quicker cars the way home in two different races. Lovely guy, could have made F1 with some money behind him. Still amazingly quick at 41.

Got a few unusual technical shots of the eighties and nineties Touring Cars there, I may post them up via a link if they have come out OK, not had chance to look yet! Some air box detailing, Nissan's attempt to hide a Primera engine that low and against the bulkhead you'd wonder if it was there at all, and some interesting suspension detailing. My usual hobby horse, air box design took precedent. No HKS or other mushroom air filters picking up engine bay hot air amongst these boys!

Good stuff mate, nothing like a bit of positive progress to boost your morale when a series of set-backs has done what it can to sully the love.

I've heard rumours that Ikeya are now simply stamping their name onto old stock wishbones and fitting a few polybushes to them.

I think you should send the un-opened parcel directly to me and I will check this for you.

:)Dammit, I should've thought of this excellent plan while the Nitrons were still being serviced too!:sly:

Haha Nice try :)

Yeah sometimes when you are trying to find out what the problem is it can get a bit disheartening.

Feels good when its all sorted though :D

Good to hear you got it all sorted matey, sounds like more nice updates on the way too :thumbs:

Cheers mate,

Yeah I will be doing the top arms first and then the lower arms later on.

Now the spare engine is going, and we have had a major clear up which has opened up nearly 500sqft of space, I will have enough room to get some descent pictures of when I do the corner weighting again as well as the Geo setup.

• 1 month later...

Sorry for the lack of updates guys, been really busy with family and having to dedicate some time and money to some other needed things. Will be back on track hopefully in November and more updates will start filtering through again soon.

Again sorry guys..

Edited by ManwithSupra (see edit history)

Winter is coming up on us now - Cold days and even colder dark evenings...

I have one more track day in November and then the car undergoes the winter overhaul.

Some of the things I am planning over winter (Nov - Mar)

Replace all upper arms with Ikeya formula components.

One of the big changes will be a change of the front bumper and front splitter.

The front bumper is looking rather pitted and cracked now as well as the F40 front splitter is looking like its had better days.

So I am planning to redesign the front of the car a little, with a new bumper and splitter combo as I want to incorporate a larger mouth for the V-Mount setup. The new bumper and splitter will mainly the same as what Paul has on his track Supra which is the Ridox front bumper and the Ridox front splitter. This will all be tied into the flat floor design that I have already. I may look into getting the Ridox skirts as well but this will be for aesthetics only.

As most of you also know the car is still Road legal however for the foreseeable future that aspect of the car is going into retirement. Driving the car on the UK roads is just too physically painful, not only that its extra wear and tear on expensive components which to be honest I don't want. I want to make the car quicker and more hardcore and simply it will not be road legal for this.

If I ever come to sell the car then I will either revert it back to Road legal "trim" or leave it in Race trim.. it would be up to the new buyer although I cannot see that happening for a while yet :)

Anyway I thought I would update you guys (well the ones that are interested) on the plans, I will aim to keep you updated on the progress as well.

The Ridox front bumper and splitter will look good on it :)

As most of you also know the car is still Road legal however for the foreseeable future that aspect of the car is going into retirement. Driving the car on the UK roads is just too physically painful, not only that its extra wear and tear on expensive components which to be honest I don't want. I want to make the car quicker and more hardcore and simply it will not be road legal for this.

Looking forward to these updates :cool:

Keep the updates coming Rich, always love to read threads like these. Next time you're at Silverstone you're more than welcome to do a stop over at the new place. Plenty of room for the car and trailer, plus a nice little village pub a couple of minutes walk away :)

Keep the updates coming Rich, always love to read threads like these. Next time you're at Silverstone you're more than welcome to do a stop over at the new place. Plenty of room for the car and trailer, plus a nice little village pub a couple of minutes walk away :)

Yeah mate that would be awesome cheers, sound like a plan :)

Will have to take you out in the car on track as well :D not sure have you been in it yet? I am not sure if you have when Ryan had it.

Awesome :cool:

I can't wait to see this being taken to the next level. Have you considered going for a ducted headlight, like they use on the JGTC cars?

http://i297.photobucket.com/albums/mm203/j_s14a/1997_TOMs_Supra1.jpg

(obviously on the opposite side for yours)

Yeah I will be getting a different headlight on the left side as I will be adding a duct into it,

I still have to have fully working lights (but not high beams) as the series I am looking into entering require it when it rains.

- - - Updated - - -

closed season ideas- know the feeling I have lots of those myself!

keep us posted on any development bud :)

Will do :thumbs: