The mkiv Supra Owners Club

List of recommended insurance companies?

Homer

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Well i have to say, im disappointed with Sky Insurance. My renewal was £842, with 6 points and all mods declared. :( did some phoning about, and went to Livingston Warman, i have say Awesome, couldn't have asked for anything else. All Mods declared(full spec list of my car emailed to them) with an Agreed Value. £655 BOOM! All paid, i know that Sky are the Clubs insurer but TBH im not impressed with them.

They had the cheek to ask for the Email that Linvingston Warman sent me with the Prices. :( Not good guys!!!!!!

Anyway happy with my New Insurance and Agreed Value. :)

Livingston Warman

O1935 - 706258

Ask for Penny Taverner

I was with them for 3 years with the Supra, Now i am still with them with the BMW. They are very local to me and always give a great service.

Glad I'm not the only one that thinks that. I'm sure they don't give a monkeys though.

On the contary , we care greatly as we do about all renewal customers, we are more than a little peeved that another broker has undercut our underwriters rate using the same underwriter, this puts us in an impossible position and means we have to speak to the underwriter about this particular case, again why we requsted to see the LWIB rate email. We are stuck in the middle here and the underwriter shouldn't be offering two different rates to two different brokers.

Mark Richard (Brokers) Ltd. Beat my Sky renewal by a considerable amount and had a great understanding (or at least the person I spoke with on the day did) of Jap cars and modifications. Also they are very reasonable on admin fees for adding mods or changes mid term.

On the contary , we care greatly as we do about all renewal customers, we are more than a little peeved that another broker has undercut our underwriters rate using the same underwriter, this puts us in an impossible position and means we have to speak to the underwriter about this particular case, again why we requsted to see the LWIB rate email. We are stuck in the middle here and the underwriter shouldn't be offering two different rates to two different brokers.

might want to check why the same underwriter is charging more??? as today you just lost a customer due to there high renewal quote, being £300 more. Also the advantage of an Agreed Value helped matters. :D

, we are more than a little peeved that another broker has undercut our underwriters rate using the same underwriter

How does a broker undercut an underwriter, are you saying that the broker has sold the policy for less than the underwriters rate? Wouldn't that mean thy are out of pocket?

Edited by ScottC (see edit history)

How does a broker undercut an underwriter, are you saying that the broker has sold the policy for less than the underwriters rate? Wouldn't that mean thy are out of pocket?

It is hard to comment at the moment, we are looking into this, and other cases. What I will say is that we have always had the best rates for the majority of Mkiv Supra customers ,it appears that now in some cases we are not as competitive as another particular broker, who is using the same underwriter as us.

Well i have to say, im disappointed with Sky Insurance. My renewal was £842, with 6 points and all mods declared. :( did some phoning about, and went to Livingston Warman, i have say Awesome, couldn't have asked for anything else. All Mods declared(full spec list of my car emailed to them) with an Agreed Value. £655 BOOM! All paid, i know that Sky are the Clubs insurer but TBH im not impressed with them.

They had the cheek to ask for the Email that Linvingston Warman sent me with the Prices. :( Not good guys!!!!!!

Livingston Warman

O1935 - 706258

Ask for Penny Taverner

That's great. Cant fault companies that offer great service and good value - honest with what is included in the policy and don't lead you on.

imi

It would be interesting to get an idea of what hugely modded singles get offered. Sky want 900+ NCB protected for my car this year. No idea if this is good or bad for old git, car kept garaged, limited mileage.

sounds like a rip off - shop around for sure.

• 1 month later...

I've got some interesting additions to make to this thread...

I have a T67dbb single, currently insured with Sky. I'm 33, with no points, no convictions, full (9yrs) no claims. I live in a low-risk area and the car is garaged. So, that was the preamble.

The Sky insurance renewal came through at a whopping £817. (A fair bit more than last year.) I did some phoning around, based on the recommendations at the beginning of this thread. Of course, with all the insurers I phoned, I was declaring all mods.

Firstly, Sureterm refused to insure the car. They said they wouldn't cover a car with *any* performance modifications on their cherished car scheme. They also noted that their rules on this have become stricter recently.

Need to Insure have quoted a very reasonable £562, and that includes an "Indemnity value" clause. It's a bit like, but not quite, a Guaranteed Value scheme.

Next, Aplan Thatcham. They initially came in at approximately £600. However, the guy said every case is dealt with on an individual basis, so when he's chatted with the underwriter, he expects it to come down. I'm waiting to hear back on that one.

Adrian Flux... Promised a call back, and never did. On the second time I called them, they put the phone down after a few rings. I'm not sure I'll bother with them any more!

Now, here's the *really* interesting bit.

Based on Geo's £655, I was expecting my quote with LWIB to come in significantly less, since my car is at a lower level of tune, and would have a lower agreed value (plus me not having any points). I spoke to a lovely person at LWIB, who really wanted to insure me, but wasn't able to, because their underwriter - Markerstudy - would not allow LWIB to provide a quote, since I'm already covered with Markerstudy under Sky! In short, Markerstudy have some sort of exclusivity policy going on which means they won't allow other brokers to compete against Sky. So, even though LWIB would have offered a much more competitive quote than Sky (with an Agreed Value), it's not available to me!!

So, I phoned Sky, to see if they could give me a more competitive quote. They reduced the figure to £742, but this is still miles off the mark. I called LWIB back, to see if Markerstudy were interested in keeping my business, since there's no way they'd be getting it through the Sky quote. I was told that this isn't possible, and that - if you were insured with Sky / Markerstudy this year, then there's no way to get insurance through LWIB this year. "But you'll be fine next year!"

This seems grossly unfair. Why should the insurance company I'm with now prevent me from getting a competitive deal that other people are entitled to? (And it means I can't get the Guaranteed Value clause that others can get.) It actually sounds slightly illegal to me.

Anyway, I hope this is useful to you all, and helps to explain some of the recent controversy regarding brokers using the same underwriter. I'd like to point out that I don't blame Sky in any way for this. It seems that Markerstudy are playing a very interesting and unfair game, with Sky (and other brokers) stuck in the middle with no consistency in the deals being offered.

I've got some interesting additions to make to this thread...

I have a T67dbb single, currently insured with Sky. I'm 33, with no points, no convictions, full (9yrs) no claims. I live in a low-risk area and the car is garaged. So, that was the preamble.

The Sky insurance renewal came through at a whopping £817. (A fair bit more than last year.) I did some phoning around, based on the recommendations at the beginning of this thread. Of course, with all the insurers I phoned, I was declaring all mods.

Firstly, Sureterm refused to insure the car. They said they wouldn't cover a car with *any* performance modifications on their cherished car scheme. They also noted that their rules on this have become stricter recently.

Need to Insure have quoted a very reasonable £562, and that includes an "Indemnity value" clause. It's a bit like, but not quite, a Guaranteed Value scheme.

Next, Aplan Thatcham. They initially came in at approximately £600. However, the guy said every case is dealt with on an individual basis, so when he's chatted with the underwriter, he expects it to come down. I'm waiting to hear back on that one.

Adrian Flux... Promised a call back, and never did. On the second time I called them, they put the phone down after a few rings. I'm not sure I'll bother with them any more!

Now, here's the *really* interesting bit.

Based on Geo's £655, I was expecting my quote with LWIB to come in significantly less, since my car is at a lower level of tune, and would have a lower agreed value (plus me not having any points). I spoke to a lovely person at LWIB, who really wanted to insure me, but wasn't able to, because their underwriter - Markerstudy - would not allow LWIB to provide a quote, since I'm already covered with Markerstudy under Sky! In short, Markerstudy have some sort of exclusivity policy going on which means they won't allow other brokers to compete against Sky. So, even though LWIB would have offered a much more competitive quote than Sky (with an Agreed Value), it's not available to me!!

So, I phoned Sky, to see if they could give me a more competitive quote. They reduced the figure to £742, but this is still miles off the mark. I called LWIB back, to see if Markerstudy were interested in keeping my business, since there's no way they'd be getting it through the Sky quote. I was told that this isn't possible, and that - if you were insured with Sky / Markerstudy this year, then there's no way to get insurance through LWIB this year. "But you'll be fine next year!"

This seems grossly unfair. Why should the insurance company I'm with now prevent me from getting a competitive deal that other people are entitled to? (And it means I can't get the Guaranteed Value clause that others can get.) It actually sounds slightly illegal to me.

Anyway, I hope this is useful to you all, and helps to explain some of the recent controversy regarding brokers using the same underwriter. I'd like to point out that I don't blame Sky in any way for this. It seems that Markerstudy are playing a very interesting and unfair game, with Sky (and other brokers) stuck in the middle with no consistency in the deals being offered.

OMFG..!!

I would just go to another insurer for 12 months and then try to get a deal with LWIB next year. There are obviously some back room politics going on between the under writer and it's brokers but they will alienate customers in the process. They must think that people are daft..!!

H.

@ Dash, i would be severely peed off if they were playing backroom politics, I'm sure that can't be right. Stopping you going somewhere else. :blink:

Thats like buying a Toyota and only being able to take it to a Toyota Garage to get things fixed.....

Wonder is someone could shed some light on this?

OMFG..!!

I would just go to another insurer for 12 months and then try to get a deal with LWIB next year. There are obviously some back room politics going on between the under writer and it's brokers but they will alienate customers in the process. They must think that people are daft..!!

H.

completely agree. I was in the same position as you (long term Sky customers) and they gave me a useless quote and have effectively cheated me on the agreed value for the past 4 years. I simply took my business elsewhere and in the process got a far more competitive quote. TBH - even if I got a more expensive quote I would have taken it elsewhere due to the way I was treated.

Just in the process of changing from Sky, who quoted me close to £800 for the renewal to Admiral as part of a multicar policy we already have, and the premium has dropped to £304 for a year. Pretty decent price for an import with all the mods declared.

I always used to find Admiral pretty good and very 'cheap' - although fortunately I never had to claim on the policy, so I don't know what they'd be like then.

Just don't fit a boost controller of any description though, as they'll then say that they can no longer insure you. :(

For me they couldn't quote due to the car having an NA engine in a TT shell. Plus I had a really bad experience with them 8 years ago and from that wouldn't recommend them to anyone.. unless you're desperate :D

isnt that a sign from the heavens? stop fannying about with n/a's and give that car the TT beating heart it deserves!!! :D

I for got the same marketstudy speech off lwib stating that because I was currently with sky, they couldn't quote me!?!?!?

My renewal for my MR2 is up at the end of the month and Sky want £477!?:blink:

Best quote so far is £275 and change with legal and breakdown cover included and the same excess!!! Sky will no doubt be losing my business at the end of the month on this car!

The renewal on the Sup better be very good if they want to keep that also! Not impressed with Sky of late!

• 2 weeks later...

just running through my insurance at the mo for the new single. renewal from sky came through at 1497 which considdering i was paying i think 1200 for my uk bpu i think isnt a bad price. Especialy considdering im down to 2 years NCB.

Adrian flux gave me a quote of 1450, including cover 3rd party on other cars which i dont think i got with sky which is usefull.

Im just waiting on a quote from need to insure who will give me a call tomorrow as its near closing time now. but they have a sports car policy which includes mod cover and trackday useage cover.

The chap i spoke to said they had given quite a few supra quotes recently and seemed to know what he was talking about, which was nice.

I tried LWIB earlier in the year when i first got the car but wouldnt insure me untill i had owned the car for a year first... which seemed odd.

Quick update. Need to insure on the sports at policy with trackday cover included came in at 1300 for me with 550 excess. All mods covered etc. Sky got as close as 1320 with 450 excess but no trackday cover. But I don't do trackdays anyway.

So for the hastle of no paperwork and continued loyalty bonus I'm still with them

But I'd recommend need to insure. Very helpfull and do a nice policy. Do quite a few supras they say.

Although I've grumbled in the past about sky not insuring me on a tt till I was 25 although I was only 3 months away from my birthday, I have only not used them once the whole time iv had a supra. They were even good with my accident and my premium didn't rise after it.

Oh and if anyone is wondering I'm 28. 3 points. 2 years ncb. I accident in 5 years. Average postcode. On a 520bhp single all mods declared.