The mkiv Supra Owners Club

forum owned track supras, register and chat thread.

dr_jekyll

• 1 month later...

ive mad a few more changes in the attempt to gain a few tenths .

ive fitted a a01b diff with the shorter drive in place of thie ao2b. changed my seat siting a little lower and close. fitted wheels that are 4lbs per corner lighter and the shorter range will allow me to run taller rear tyres . im replaceing the 275/35/18s with 265/40/18s. the higer wall and narrower section should allow the tyre to heat faster wich will suit the short sprint runs :)

ooof that is pretty! great cars on this thread.

Could anyone on here help with this:

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?255908-4-point-harness-fitting-advice

I'd just like to see if anyone who's done the job themselves has any tips or advice before I tackle it myself, thats all :)

Also, whilst I'm here, what are peoples views on the stock bilsteins? i'm considering those as an upgrade from the stock Jspec i have now, maybe with a set of stiffer springs, coilovers are miles off (budget wise) for quite some time.

ooof that is pretty! great cars on this thread.

Could anyone on here help with this:

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?255908-4-point-harness-fitting-advice

I'd just like to see if anyone who's done the job themselves has any tips or advice before I tackle it myself, thats all :)

Also, whilst I'm here, what are peoples views on the stock bilsteins? i'm considering those as an upgrade from the stock Jspec i have now, maybe with a set of stiffer springs, coilovers are miles off (budget wise) for quite some time.

Without coming over all nanny state on you, harnesses are not considered a good idea without a proper roll cage being fitted first.

The reason being that a three point belt allows you to lean to the side in the event of a roll over. A four point will keep you bolt upright meaning your head becomes a piss-poor roll bar.

When it comes to Bilstein shocks and making them work on the track your first (and only) call should be to Chris Wilson.

its OK mate i know this, advice in the rulebooks is to not use a harness without a cage, but its allowed and in all the other cars i've tracked i've 100% prefered it, more to do with feel i think- can really feel what the car is doing underneath me which helps a little with confidence for me. 4 point is what I want because thats what I have available or "in stock." I do have a 3" but thats a 5 point and i'd need a seat to match, or remove the bucket from my yaris and re-fit the stock toilet- not something i really want to do.

thanks for the tip with Chris, i'll have a look :)

:muahaha:it's alive!!!:muahaha:

Finally got down to actually attempting to wire the 1JZ into the car's systems today and would you believe it (cos I don't:blink:) the bloody thing fired up first flick of the key!:)

It's running like it's always been there, so far. Lovely smooth idle, seems to be making boost and the revs pick up all the way to the clouds with no hesitation. Starts easy, hot or cold. I even think the stock temp gauge is reading properly.:cool:

Bear in mind thats with the car stationary, when I get the drivetrain re-connected and put a load on the engine there might be a few creases to iron out.

I do have a major coolant leak, which I assume is from the water pump but I accepted this possibility when I fitted the engine without replacing the old one as I wasn't too sure the engine was even a runner. Also the alternator appears to be on the blink. Again, this was not unexpected.

But for now I'm happy with today's results. I'm going home to kiss my dog, pet my wife and have a whiskey or two.

Just out of curiosity, does anyone know if the 2JZ-GE water pump is a direct replacement for the 1JZ-GTE unit?

I have my doubts but it would be nice if it did!

Peace out and have a great weekend all.

whilst I'm here, what are peoples views on the stock bilsteins? i'm considering those as an upgrade from the stock Jspec i have now, maybe with a set of stiffer springs, coilovers are miles off (budget wise) for quite some time.

My NA had stock Toyota-Bilsteins, though I don't know for certain what springs it had. It was, obviously, fine.

The TT Auto is now running standard Bilsteins with stock TT springs, and they're definitely track suited :blink: pity it's my road car!

:muahaha:it's alive!!!

Good news! Hopefully not too many issues with sorting out the remainder.

Edited by AlexM (see edit history)

:muahaha:it's alive!!!:muahaha:

Peace out and have a great weekend all.

Awesome. Time for a well deserved beer, good work!

My NA had stock Toyota-Bilsteins, though I don't know for certain what springs it had. It was, obviously, fine.

The TT Auto is now running standard Bilsteins with stock TT springs, and they're definitely track suited :blink: pity it's my road car!

perfect mate, just the info I was after :) think i'll go for a set of those :) should be good for learning :)

I though I would add my name to this thread, as I have decided the next stage of my cars development is as a track car. I hope to learn from the discussions soI can get the best out of my car on the track. Some really great cars in this thread, so I have suscribed so I don't miss any updates.

My plans to improve handeling and traction are to install a Giken diff, and Ikeya suspension. I hope that my high compression motor will help make the car a beast on the track.

lets get some pics of the 1jz in place and a running vid :)

Here we go:)

attachment.php?attachmentid=140260&d=1318244183

I'm particularly happy with the pipework from the NA airbox and onto the intercooler

attachment.php?attachmentid=140261&d=1318244183

attachment.php?attachmentid=140262&d=1318244183

23 row Setrab oil engine cooler, just about fits!

attachment.php?attachmentid=140263&d=1318244183

Miami GT SMIC, all alloy & larger than the stock unit.

attachment.php?attachmentid=140264&d=1318244183

Charcoal canister and ABS unit deletion, not the tidiest of jobs but I'll worry about the asthetics when all else is done.

attachment.php?attachmentid=140265&d=1318244251

099.jpg

100.jpg

101.jpg

102.jpg

103.jpg

104.jpg

Edited by pedrosixfour (see edit history)

Nice installation, but please get rid of those huge and totally unnecessary Mikalor clamps on the intake piping, looks cumbersome and messy, if you don't mind me saying so. I do admit they are a pet hate of mine as properly formed hard pipe ends should only need a neat and slim Jubilee clip on them, even on the pressure side. N/A Air box, 100%, pipe clamps to it, 20% ;)

Nice installation, but please get rid of those huge and totally unnecessary Mikalor clamps on the intake piping, looks cumbersome and messy, if you don't mind me saying so. I do admit they are a pet hate of mine as properly formed hard pipe ends should only need a neat and slim Jubilee clip on them, even on the pressure side. N/A Air box, 100%, pipe clamps to it, 20% ;)

I've got a newly refreshed hatred of Jubilee clips Chris so we may need to disagree on this. :p

I grant you that the clamps are indeed heavy and probably unnecessary but I've gotten to the stage where I am sick to the teeth of putting a new Jubilee on a pipe only to find it either slips or binds before it tightens.

I like the above clamps because 2 minutes with a rachet and 13mm socket and you can run around and check them all for tightness. The alloy pipe joiners do all have properly finished ends on them but I thought the extra security of the bigger clamps would pay dividends down the line. How many times has a car rolled to the side of a track because of the failure of a 50p part?

Yes, they were initially for the truck world but are now in more general usage. I think they are very neat and very clever, and with the Gates name on them I would trust them to do what they say they do. I have used about 6 of them on a road car of a customers and they worked perfectly. They are single usage though.

And just in case anyone thought I was spoiling myself with a whole flippin' engine let me assure you that normal service has now well and truely resumed.:(

attachment.php?attachmentid=140277&d=1318273516

attachment.php?attachmentid=140278&d=1318273516

Entire water pump is in a sorry old state, very badly corroded inside which has resulted in a pin hole in the main body, near the thermostat. I have a genuine but used unit here that I'm testing overnight for problems but all the housings are immaculate inside so worse case is just a new actual pump unit from Mr.T.

Now that the front covers are off I'll treat the lump to a new Gates timing belt. There is a brand new OEM spring tensioner and timing belt idler pulley unit on the NA engine, I can fit the new bearing and idler pulley to the body of the 1JZ's unit, the spring tensioners are the same and so a direct swap.

I also need to get the alternator retested as my wiring appears to bell out ok and the dash is not the problem. It lights up like a christmas tree when the light wire going to the alternator is grounded.

I'm using my old NA alternator but with the 1JZ's IC regulator unit bolted to it so the socket on the alternator matches the wiring loom plug. The 1JZ's own alternator is FUBAR'd, one of the slip rings has disintegrated. I had it tested previously when I did the regulator swap and they said it was ok but the terminal I.D. label on the body of the NA alternator doesn't match the 1JZ socket anymore so there may have been some confusion and I forgot to bring the other unit for comparison.

107.jpg

108.JPG

Edited by pedrosixfour (see edit history)