The mkiv Supra Owners Club

forum owned track supras, register and chat thread.

dr_jekyll

Are there many auto track cars in the club? be interesting to see the comparisons in times.

I used my NA auto on track a few times but dont have any times, there are a few older members that tracked autos as well but cant remember who.

I can't understand why so few Supra owners just don't sign up for a general track day run by the likes of Bookatrack, Javelin, or one of the circuit owners themselves. I always hope to see at least one, last year I saw zero... I am Oulton tomorrow with the GTS-t, run by Easy Track. They don't list attendees, (probably because they have booked about 200 cars..... :)), so can't tell if an Supras are doing that one. If anyone wanted to do an Oulton day with A. T Day-Organiser, and was a bit nervous I'd come and give them a hand if I had some warning. Trying to get enough to sign for, pay and actually attend a dedicated Supra only day must be a nightmare. Llandow is a bit of fun, but it's really a kary circuit, taking a fast lorry round like a Supra or Skyline is like trying to fly a fighter jet around the bedroom. Donington or Oulton lets you wind the thing up a bit ;)

• 2 weeks later...

I did Bedford a couple of months ago and it was great fun. Need an oil cooler and possibly a new radiator before I can do another though :(

Silverstone or Donnington would be great to do, hopefully get to one of those before the end of summer.

After a few laps the oil temp would rise to around 125 degrees whereas the water stayed at 100.

After another couple of laps the water would then rise as well.

I may be hiding another fault but I believe an oil cooler will keep the oil temp down and in turn stop the water rising as well.

At the same time I am hoping to move the gearbox cooler to a new unit as well so that I can then replace the standard radiator.

After a few laps the oil temp would rise to around 125 degrees whereas the water stayed at 100.

After another couple of laps the water would then rise as well.

I may be hiding another fault but I believe an oil cooler will keep the oil temp down and in turn stop the water rising as well.

At the same time I am hoping to move the gearbox cooler to a new unit as well so that I can then replace the standard radiator.

It certainly will that's normal if you haven't got an oil cooler.

Take the stock oil to water heat exchanger off and fit a -12 hosed cooler of about 35 rows somewhere (not easy on a MKIV....). If you have a front mount IC the water rad will have to be FAR better than if the stock ducting was in situ. You could make a none viscous fan drive, to run the fan at full speed. You NEED the fan shroud in place. Gearbox cooler? Is it an auto? Unless you do endurance racing a manual won't really need this at all, nor a diff cooler.

about 35 rows

Really, do you think it needs to be that big? I was thinking along the lines of a 19 row. It is an auto with the original radiator (I think) so any replacement would need a sepearte gearbox cooler. The rest of the car is standard, i.e SMIC but with BPU upgrades.

I assume a replacement radiator needs a seperate gearbox cooler, unless i get a Toyota replacement, does anyone know how much they are?

Really, do you think it needs to be that big? I was thinking along the lines of a 19 row. It is an auto with the original radiator (I think) so any replacement would need a sepearte gearbox cooler. The rest of the car is standard, i.e SMIC but with BPU upgrades.

I assume a replacement radiator needs a seperate gearbox cooler, unless i get a Toyota replacement, does anyone know how much they are?

Definately, we run 2x 25 row oil coolers on our race cars. No gearbox or diff coolers. I would definately fit an autobox cooler as well.

Best off fitting something like the Koyo radiator plus a seperate autobox cooler, something like a 19 row will be fine.

Depends how hard you drive it, and for how long at a stretch. So long as a decent ester based full synthetic is kept below 130C it'll be OK, but I like to stay below 120. Your current set up is putting engine oil AND transmission oil heat into the water, I always like to split these on a track car unless you have a good overhead of water cooling capacity. The issues are finding holes big enough and of the right shape to get the coolers behind and still in full air flow over their whole surface area. A small DUCTED cooler is better than a big UNDUCTED cooler though.

I was hoping to mount it in the same position as the smic but on the opposite side of the car, obviously.

I was also wondering whether I could use the ducting from an smic for the flow through the coolers, is that possible?

Your better off making something up really.