The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Does anybody regret going Single Turbo?

Brazil

Nice question OP.

I was wondering if many people who have singles still use the car as a daily driver?

I use my Sup every day, so just wondering...

:)

imi does and his car is silky smooth!

That was my first ride in a single turbo, the sound alone is enough of a excuse to have one! :cool:

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

imi does and his car is silky smooth!

That was my first ride in a single turbo, the sound alone is enough of a excuse to have one! :cool:

You should have told me that it was your first time, I would have given you a proper demo :)

had it not been for the Dyno session @ SRR that day I wouldn't have even known that it was low on power - so much more to play with :)

If you can afford it - go for it and build you own.

If you cant be bothered with the hassle of constant visits to mechanics, mappers, buying parts etc - then buy a ready built one.

If you worry about fuel - then a Supra let alone Single is not for you.

I have never regretted going single.My Supra is no daily driver though, just used for fun on sunny days.

I wouldn't have bought a single prepared car, as I love upgrading it constantly, which is a lot of fun as you can individualize your ride. :)

If you have a second car then the only downside is the money as far as I can see..................I don't think anyone is not impressed with the power/feel on a single.

You have to take a good hard look at yourself and finances, the longer term owners or really high power guys have plenty of disposable income and will spend X £'s with a shrug or mild annoyance where i'm sure i'd be crying into my pillow!!

I would take some of the earlier comments about cost and reliability being potentially lower than a BPU car with a huge pinch of salt! I'm sure you can find a lemon of a TT that had loads of things go wrong in a short space of time, but overall a single is far more likely to cost you a fortune........just tyres to make use of the power is an instant and ongoing increase in cost.

Go in with your eyes wide open!

No regrets.

Daily drove the car to work and back for about 3 months after it was finished (and before I moved over here), and never had an issue. Was also relatively economical, unless thrashing it.. which of course happened regularly.

Whats low down torque like in a single? i.e. where the first turbo would usually kick in.....

Depends on turbo choice, my Garrett GT35R DBB turbo made positive boost at just over 2K rpm and pulled very strongly with a smooth power/torque curve to the rev limit. The only time you noticed any lag was from pulling away from a standstill, once rolling response was instant and it would blitz my 429hp BPU Supra.

I would never do a single turbo Supra build on a budget, I would choose a stock TT over a cheaply put together single turbo.

Problem with Japanese done singles is generally their wiring. Not 1 of the cars I've had in from Japan even ones that came in through Jurgen have had "perfect" wiring. Most if not all of the problems I experienced with the Do-Luck aristo were down to shonky wiring done in Japan. I have a 3ft deep box full of wiring thats been ripped out of my imported motors that was surplus to requirements. When they remove their ICE or extra expensive gadgets prior to auctioning they can be a bit slasher about it.

Choosing the right fuelling solution and control is tantamount to whether or not you have a good experience or if it all goes expensively very wrong! There is obviously an element of luck involved as well, some peoples engines go on forever and others hang up their boots and die on them, but the same can be said for stock or BPU motors.

My biggest worry when I owned a T67DBB was getting caught doing stupid speeds because it was too damned easy to do and far too addictive to restrain myself all the time. Would I do it again? Yes but smaller than a T67 I think.

Would i buy a single turbo supra again!....no to put it straight forward!

Great car love it to bits but should of built my own so it was how i wanted it. The car cost 17k and i've spent/spending the same again to strip it back and start again to my specs! Only have half the engine parts and i've done 9k in 8 months and still no where near ready to even start bolting the engine together yet! buy standard and do it how YOU want then you can take extra pride that you did it!:thumbs:

I was rather hacked off with mine today when it broke down, turns out im a complete retard and ran out of fuel:D:innocent:

My advice, dont buy or build one if you are on a tight budget.

If you do take the plunge be very careful who you take advice from.

If you buy/build a good one they are amazing.:)

no never posted about it dont like to slate things about it but i paid a lot of money for it but it was nopt really what it was sold as :( lost lots of money on that car nevr again

Probably write it off as a one off as Jurgen sells a lot of cars on here and probably outside of this club and it is very rare if at all that we get to hear horror stories.

If it was really serious then I am sure you wouldn't have hesitated in alerting fellow club members.

Best of luck and good to see that you have moved on.

I was rather hacked off with mine today when it broke down, turns out im a complete retard and ran out of fuel:D:innocent:

My advice, dont buy or build one if you are on a tight budget.

If you do take the plunge be very careful who you take advice from.

If you buy/build a good one they are amazing.:)

you need a proper calibrated Dash 2 Fuel Gauge :)

I will send my settings to Ryan as I have cracked it ;)

hey i aint got no issues with jurgen i think he is ok just answering the question did i regret going single .

i bought what i was tolod was a good very fast car but it didnt work out money lost but hey thats life

And a warning light for when its low on fuel:D

No problem, i have mine reading in ltrs, so 70 when full and triggers the warning light when it has 10 Ltrs left.

Will send it to Ryan over the weekend when I get back to docklands.

Imi