The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Does anybody regret going Single Turbo?

Brazil

You're going to struggle to find anyone that prefers bpu to single. The only example I can think of was Tooquicktostop, who bought a bpu car after having a single. He's now looking for another single :D

Single turbos move the Supras game on in every respect. A well built single can be faster, more reliable and more economical than a TT. The only downside is the conversion cost IMO.

I have had a couple of single turbo supras including Auto and 6 speed, I have also had a stock 6 speed TT, 2 Auto BPU's and an 2 NA's, I stand by the BPU Auto being the best all-rounder for the daily driver, especially if you live in a busy area like me

I have to say though that I miss the big thrill of a high horse power car and the Supra (and skyline) give a lot for very little cash, however this does not mean that owning a single Supra is cheap, you need to be fairly well off IMO to be able to run one and really enjoy it without worrying about the bills it takes to keep it running, Oh and you will always want more power every few months or so !!

I am looking at Nells RX7 Single at the moment as I have always wanted to try one, however if it does not stack up I am spoilt for choice with singles for sale at the moment

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I can't wait to finish my car but it wont be any time soon. It is incredibly expensive to do right. Granted I am rebuilding my engine at the same time and have opted to put an aftermarket inlet manifold and a host of other non essential parts, but it is still expensive. You budget for the main components but there are loads of little things that need to be changed or upgraded.

I am therefore under no illusions that it will be relatively expensive to run but in all honesty thats not an issue.

For me the time and money I spend now will give me peace of mind in the future. Would I buy a ready built single? Probably not. I have no idea in most cases about the quality of the build. It might be more expensive to do it from scratch but then there is peace of mind and if anything should go wrong only yourself to blame.

Personally I have also learnt a lot about the car and engine building which is just as fun and interesting. OK not as fun as driving!! :)

Currently i kind of regret going NA-T as my project has nearly lasted 3 months, and the car still isnt running as its suposed too.

its running but way to rich, cant figure out why tough.

but i bet that when its running properly, my car will change me into a boost addicted freak for sure and I propably wont regret single thing about going single!

Best thing i ever did, bpu frustrated the hell out of me always waiting for the 2nd turbo, especially on track, there never seamed to be the right gear for the next corner, also the single is a far simpler setup, i could have the whole thing stripped down in under an hour( if i needed some cash quickly):)

So what exactly is a tight budget for a single conversion?

What's an approximate figure for how much it would cost to do a small single conversion, without cutting any corners? No huge power, say around 500bhp.

well im going for 550bhp mate and i have not set a budget as its the little bits which add up, but i think around 8-10k aint a bad estimate

So what exactly is a tight budget for a single conversion?

What's an approximate figure for how much it would cost to do a small single conversion, without cutting any corners? No huge power, say around 500bhp.

How long is a piece of string? Depends if you do it yourself, and how far you go with the engine. Cams? Engine rebuild with stronger parts? Also depends on the gearbox.

A very basic single conversion can easily cost over £10k.

For the money I've spent keeping my sequential twins running, with turbo re-builds (x2), VSV problems (x1), EGC valve problems (x3) etc, I could probably have done a small single build. Like Bignum, I'm getting to the point with my style of use that early boost delivery and no 2nd turbo spool-up would suit me much better. Plus modern turbos are worlds apart from the old fashioned stuff - I'm, liking the sound of those EFR turbos coupled with a log manifold for strength and response...

For the money I've spent keeping my sequential twins running, with turbo re-builds (x2), VSV problems (x1), EGC valve problems (x3) etc, I could probably have done a small single build. Like Bignum, I'm getting to the point with my style of use that early boost delivery and no 2nd turbo spool-up would suit me much better. Plus modern turbos are worlds apart from the old fashioned stuff - I'm, liking the sound of those EFR turbos coupled with a log manifold for strength and response...

Do it chris, you know it makes sense:)

mine was bpu before, and is now 585hp(for the minue, coilpacks) and the difference is crazy, so around 200hp more, and the difference is night and day, i dont regret it for a second, plus i now know the car inside out, A single is a different drive completly, love it!

Edited by johnny g (see edit history)

I don't see the point of going single for 500-550 horses it's only 100 or so more that bpu.

Go big or go home hehe

BPUs are normally around 380-400 - a small single is easily 120-150 over a BPU on the fly. translated to around 100 on the wheels. that is a significant increase in power to completely transform the experience. not to mention the noise :D

Edited by imi (see edit history)

Trouble with this place (guilty of this myself) is huge numbers are banded about without a thought, it was only 3 years back when i dreamed of cracking 600bhp and i thought that was silly fast.

500-550 bhp supra is a serious weapon still, more power and torque than a huge amount of so called supercars.

Trouble with this place (guilty of this myself) is huge numbers are banded about without a thought, it was only 3 years back when i dreamed of cracking 600bhp and i thought that was silly fast.

500-550 bhp supra is a serious weapon still, more power and torque than a huge amount of so called supercars.

im glad you posted something like that, 500bhp is nearly if not supercar beaters. There are a slim ammount of cars on this forum who make serious numbers and have put alot of money,time, and effort into them in all areas not just engine/turbo

yours for example- lets say 1000bhp= serious brakes, wide arches to get bigger wheels (traction sorted), good suspension setup, build bottom end and fully rebuilt head, the best of the best ecu choices, the list goes on and on. One of the most serious supra's i know of and with no corners cut... credit to you and SRD.

I could name a handful which tick all the boxes. Does annoy me when people say 500-600 aint nothing, do it to the best you can and you have a serious reliable weapon on the streets

im glad you posted something like that, 500bhp is nearly if not supercar beaters. There are a slim ammount of cars on this forum who make serious numbers and have put alot of money,time, and effort into them in all areas not just engine/turbo

yours for example- lets say 1000bhp= serious brakes, wide arches to get bigger wheels (traction sorted), good suspension setup, build bottom end and fully rebuilt head, the best of the best ecu choices, the list goes on and on. One of the most serious supra's i know of and with no corners cut... credit to you and SRD.

I could name a handful which tick all the boxes. Does annoy me when people say 500-600 aint nothing, do it to the best you can and you have a serious reliable weapon on the streets

If this was aimed at me Rob I'm sorry that it might of annoyed you but I didn't say 500-600 isn't nothing, I just wouldn't go single for 500 I can't see the reward for ploughing thousands into it for little return.

I know you are working with the stock auto box but I bet you wished you could go with a built box a get more gee gees under your bonnet.

That's just my opinion

U want to go for a ride In it mate, he dragged me for for a short ride yesterday, horrendous machine,