The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Are you scared of your supra ? ie too much power

Jurgen-Jm-Imports

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

My old BPU set up was fine, very predictable a joy to drive.

My new single is a real handful, ive not had great weather or good road conditions since i have had it back, but ive lost it twice now in the wet and made a pact to never drive with the traction control off when the roads are bad!

I dont have big bhp by any means compared to some of u guys but my set up is a real spool monster!

I have found in the dry its a completly different car to drive thank god, still spins the wheels but keeps in a straight line and is much less of a handful to keep on the road!

I think the key is to respect the car and be aware of what your car can do when driving conditions are bad.

I guess scared is all part of the driving experience in big powered sports cars, part of the package.

The only place i got scared in the single was at the ring, most laps i finished i came off with the shakes, some of it was probably down to andrenalin, do i want to go back? hell yeh.

So was I when you offered me a passenger seat the first time in your single around the Ring :D:d

The only place i got scared in the single was at the ring, most laps i finished i came off with the shakes, some of it was probably down to andrenalin, do i want to go back? hell yeh.

See i found you to be very relaxed unlike when i went out with your brother!

Half way round he turned on the radio and went nuts! :faint:

All good fun though :D

See i found you to be very relaxed unlike when i went out with your brother!

Half way round he turned on the radio and went nuts! :faint:

All good fun though :D

Lol, brings a new meaning to nutcase, you`re very brave to get in a car with him nevermind at the ring where its really dangerous:)

What scares me in any car is the thought of losing it due to ice, damp, rain, or mechanical failure on modern roads, for several reasons;

1. Even in a 30mph zone veering into oncoming traffic would result in a 60mph crash. Ouch.

2. I'm starting to see a lot of unprotected street furniture. A good example of this would be lampposts on the Basingstoke ring road: one small slide or unexpected twitch and you're head on into a concrete post at 70mph, as there's no barriers

3. When I've lost control of cars in the past I've been lucky, and it's just myself backwards/in a barrier/in the hedge. I'd really struggle with the result of hurting someone else if it's down to my bad or excessive driving.

That said - I do like to use the fast pedal when the conditions and environment are good :-)

Lol, brings a new meaning to nutcase, you`re very brave to get in a car with him nevermind at the ring where its really dangerous:)

I can imagine him shouting "yeeeehaaawww!!!" when he flipped his Supra recently.

When I have a go at a track day, you'll have to come with and give me pointers :D

Picked up my BPU 6 speed last week. Should of had RLTC fitted but there is currently a problem with the second hand unit I obtained so no t/c currently.

The wheel spin in third on high boost was a bit scary! Much respect being given for now, until t/c restored.

Didn't scare me, but glad I was in a straight line on the motorway at the time.

cant really say i have ever been scared of my supra but i do respect it loads.

it can be a bit of a bitch in the wet and its only BPU.

the sequential system drives me mad cant wait to go single and get more power and hopefully smother throtle control.

The first time i got in my supra i thought it was a bit slow but then have hit 172 in it so it definetly not slow.

I think the reason for that is i did have a tunned RX7 for a month or so before i imported my supra.

not sure what power the RX7 had but that did make me clinch my butt cheeks

Having only had my Supra for 2 weeks, I am very much scared of it.. I know its only a stocker but its the most powerful RWD car I have driven so my driving skill is not up to scratch as yet. Add to that the tyres on the car are Dunlop Lemans, they not offering much grip at the moment in the low temps, plus my novice status, odds are against me here..

Japan roads are definitely not suited for fast driving, there is a nice beginners track near by which I will be visiting soon.

Where do you live?

If you're in Tokyo head over to Chiba, there's some nice driving roads around there. Can give you some directions to a nice route if you like. Hakone is also good but you need to go on a week day or very early morning on a weekend to avoid the Obasan coach tours. Izu Skyline always has some nice exotica tearing around.

If you don't have a detector get yourself one asap. You need your wits about you in this place.

Never had a car that's scared me.

The Supra was nicely setup (thanks Chris) and felt solid even holding it at speed off the clock.

The GT-R had around 600hp but was very easy to drive with the 4wd and gizmos. Too easy really. One reason I sold it.

My next car will have to demand my full attention.

Guest gazza

here's a scarey thought for all that think the stock tt is scarey.

the tt cars were origanlly gonna be released with 500bhp but toyota deemed it to much and thought they would struggle to sell them.

the engine can cope with over 600 bhp stock and the 6 sp gearbox 650 bhp straight out the crate the basic car was completly detuned but left strong for tuning. think your self lucky that a stocker only has about 290-300 import & uk version 326.

here's a scarey thought for all that think the stock tt is scarey.

the tt cars were origanlly gonna be released with 500bhp but toyota deemed it to much and thought they would struggle to sell them.

the engine can cope with over 600 bhp stock and the 6 sp gearbox 650 bhp straight out the crate the basic car was completly detuned but left strong for tuning. think your self lucky that a stocker only has about 290-300 import & uk version 326.

I wouldn't consider myself lucky and I doubt any other stock TT owners would. Why do you think going BPU is so popular? :p