The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Are you scared of your supra ? ie too much power

Jurgen-Jm-Imports

I hear what your saying here Jurgen. Personally I think if your not a little scared of it, you won't respect it. If you don't respect it, you WILL be caught out. I'm really nervous about opening mine up but can't wait at the same time.

+1 on that. Getting used to it now but still scared when it comes on boost even when I'm on a nice straight dry wide road lol still gets my heart going.

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think the key is to know your limits and limits of the car to build confidence in it. Coming on boost mid corner is always going to be bad news if you dont know how to handle it.

Also, the throttle pedal goes off as well as on ;)

Im waiting for Wallis to see this thread, theres a man whos terrified of his new found power lol

Can't say mine has scared me yet, sweaty palms sometimes when concentrating hard during a fast run.

I feel save inside my car with harness/roll bar etc don't think i would do the same type of driving with just standard stuff.

Jurgen is it scared of hurting yourself or others in a road accident, wrecking the car after spending so much money or even the car breaking something expensive like the engine?

Jurgen is it scared of hurting yourself or others in a road accident, wrecking the car after spending so much money or even the car breaking something expensive like the engine?

i think if am honest every time i go out i think of all those things, am always thinking of the what if etc and i guess that maybe puts a little fear into me..

but at events like POD or track then the fear is not there for some reason.

I drive like an old woman on the roads, it's very rare for me to really open up any car that's not on a track. I sometimes get the vibes that a passenger is expecting a hell ride when they know of my race background, but I value my licence and I cringe when I think of the near misses and time wondering if a summons is coming through the post when I was young. Quite how I got to 25 I don't know.... I have actually said to two customers last year, to stop the car and either let me out, or let me drive when they have demonstrated their ability behind the wheel ;) Neither were Supra owners, but one of those came close. One of my biggest kicks is taking a MKIV that is a wayward, horrible handling dog and making it behave itself with suspension changes.

I don't mind racing in the wet, in fact I quite like it and have had good results in wet races, but the damp is a different matter, as it can be so unpredictable. Many the time I have hummed and hahhed over "slicks or wets".... :(

I will hold my hands up and say mine scares the living sh!t out of me....constantly!!!

If i had the chance i would have probably built and 550hp car that was maybe a bit more manageable, but sod it, its a challenge to master!! :D

Yeah but you can't see where your going!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! now that must be scary.

The one thing I wish is that the supra was 4 wheel drive. Rear wheel is good fun but 4 wheel just handles so much better. I am not scared of the power of mine but then its only BPU, not a single.

When I had my NA I remember Paul at whifbitz telling me someone picked up a TT from him that he imported for them, they drove it down the road and came back and said it was too scary and wanted an NA instead.

The one thing I wish is that the supra was 4 wheel drive. Rear wheel is good fun but 4 wheel just handles so much better. I am not scared of the power of mine but then its only BPU, not a single.

When I had my NA I remember Paul at whifbitz telling me someone picked up a TT from him that he imported for them, they drove it down the road and came back and said it was too scary and wanted an NA instead.

:D

It should have the 4WD/RWD switch. Not just 4WD.

Guest gazza

myself i can't go fast enough, i spose thats what happens growing up riding motor bikes, i get used to the speed very quickly.

when i do drive fast im totaly in the moment and never have the what if thoughts, you just can't thats how you make mistakes.

1 of my best friennds used to ride his M bikes like that and was constantly being knocked off, i think those thoughts made him ride very tight and he never relaxed he always hesitated before overtaking and used to crap the life out of me if i was a pillion. ( had a phew near miss's lol ).

right now my mr2 turbo is running close to 300bhp and i rally drive the hell out of it in the narrow country lanes near me when i can, and i gota tell you i wrote 1 off a phew years back, but as i see the accident coming all i thought was shit this is gonna cost me pounds lol. killed the car. but it just didn't affect me. it was note to self use second gear next time not 3rd :twak:

you might think its only 300bhp but in a car thats quite alot lighter than a supra its under 5 secs to 60. and any 1 who's driven 1 will know how crazy arsed they can be. in comparison its like a 500bhp supra i would guess. i drove a stock supra tt a phew years back and it felt slow as hell after getting out the mr2.

i think maybe 1 thing would scare me though, a top fuel funny car or dragster coz they don't do corners very well lol.

myself i can't go fast enough, i spose thats what happens growing up riding motor bikes, i get used to the speed very quickly.

when i do drive fast im totaly in the moment and never have the what if thoughts, you just can't thats how you make mistakes.

1 of my best friennds used to ride his M bikes like that and was constantly being knocked off, i think those thoughts made him ride very tight and he never relaxed he always hesitated before overtaking and used to crap the life out of me if i was a pillion. ( had a phew near miss's lol ).

right now my mr2 turbo is running close to 300bhp and i rally drive the hell out of it in the narrow country lanes near me when i can, and i gota tell you i wrote 1 off a phew years back, but as i see the accident coming all i thought was shit this is gonna cost me pounds lol. killed the car. but it just didn't affect me. it was note to self use second gear next time not 3rd :twak:

you might think its only 300bhp but in a car thats quite alot lighter than a supra its under 5 secs to 60. and any 1 who's driven 1 will know how crazy arsed they can be. in comparison its like a 500bhp supra i would guess. i drove a stock supra tt a phew years back and it felt slow as hell after getting out the mr2.

i think maybe 1 thing would scare me though, a top fuel funny car or dragster coz they don't do corners very well lol.

Phew, you were lucky... ;)

I've had MR2's from 225, right up to 430bhp. At 300bhp, the MR2 Turbo is BPU Supra speed in the low end, up to 100mph. The Supra will blitz it then. Also, the Supra feels slower because it delivers in a more linear way, with the two turbos, then the MR2's single CT26/CT20b

I've had MR2's from 225, right up to 430bhp. At 300bhp, the MR2 Turbo is BPU Supra speed in the low end, up to 100mph. The Supra will blitz it then. Also, the Supra feels slower because it delivers in a more linear way, with the two turbos, then the MR2's single CT26/CT20b

Totally agree. I had a stage 3 S13 before I got my Supra, I stripped it right down inside so it was pretty light and that was very rapid for what it was. Just being so light it was extremely tail happy so it kept me on my toes! I got my Supra just before Christmas (just before the snow and ice hit) so didn't drive it that much. Been driving it a lot more recently though and it hasn't scared me yet though, but that may be due to the fact i've left the boost at 0.7bar to ease myself in, the lag on the T70 is enough to drive it safely on wet roads too lol...... could be different when I wind the boost up to 1.2-1.3 bar though?! :)