The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Are you scared of your supra ? ie too much power

Jurgen-Jm-Imports

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Only time I've been properly scared in any car was when I had Toyo R888s on my single Supra and aqua-planed on the A23, going properly sideways (facing the barrier, arms all crossed up) in sixth gear in driving rain.

And you managed to correct that?!

Recently having just bought a single kit or my TT engine that's going in, I'm very scared if I'm honest! My NA is the fastest car I've owned to date and I'm hoping for around 600 bhp at the fly, so 3 times the power of my NA almost, that said I cannot wait to have it finished but every one I know that's said " you'll have to take me out in it when it's done" I've told them that they'll have to wait a while so I get used to the power, I'm also thinking about going on a skid pan or drift courses to help me react better if the worst was to happen!

Recently having just bought a single kit or my TT engine that's going in, I'm very scared if I'm honest! My NA is the fastest car I've owned to date and I'm hoping for around 600 bhp at the fly, so 3 times the power of my NA almost, that said I cannot wait to have it finished but every one I know that's said " you'll have to take me out in it when it's done" I've told them that they'll have to wait a while so I get used to the power, I'm also thinking about going on a skid pan or drift courses to help me react better if the worst was to happen!

Tracks and airfield driver training days will sort you out mate. It's definitely essential if you want to drive the car properly.

Wow... that's a step and a half that. You want to be careful. :)

Id love to take mine on an airfield - are there any down south that allow it?

There is one very close to you that I did one at once. Not sure if they still do it, but it was at Ford Airfield.

North Weald holds regular days though, or Dunsfold Park (Top Gear's track). Neither are local to you, but the drive there and back can be fun too.

There is one very close to you that I did one at once. Not sure if they still do it, but it was at Ford Airfield.

North Weald holds regular days though, or Dunsfold Park (Top Gear's track). Neither are local to you, but the drive there and back can be fun too.

What are they? Just a day where you drive round the course like a track day, just on an airfield rather than a track?

What are they? Just a day where you drive round the course like a track day, just on an airfield rather than a track?

They're big open spaces with loads of run-off where you are taught various driving techniques in small groups by a qualified instructor (ex-racing drivers usually).

http://www.carlimits.com/script/viewEvents.php?type=airfieldtraining

Edited by Gaz6002
typo (see edit history)

They're big open spaces with loads of run-off where you are taught various driving techniques in small groups by a qualified instructor (ex-racing drivers usually).

Thanx Gaz - any idea on price?

I was hoping to get the car onto an airfield and just have a blast around to learn how to handle different situations ... like a rural unused airfield ideally... will look into Ford.

Thanx Gaz - any idea on price?

I was hoping to get the car onto an airfield and just have a blast around to learn how to handle different situations ... like a rural unused airfield ideally... will look into Ford.

Prices are on that link mate.

Not sure Ford will let you in there - I asked a while ago for a shoot I was organising and they said no.

Only time I've been properly scared in any car was when I had Toyo R888s on my single Supra and aqua-planed on the A23, going properly sideways (facing the barrier, arms all crossed up) in sixth gear in driving rain.

Likewise, the only time my car scared me was when I hit standing water from a burst water main and aqua planed doing around 80mph. I had very little say in which direction the car was facing, fortunately got through the other side pointing in the right direction. Fat tyres and standing water REALLY don't mix well :scare:

Good post, mate! My fears about my car are usually to do with driver ability (well, that and how potentially dangerous a mechanical failure at high speed on a public road could be) so I'm very keen to do a stack of trackdays & airfield days as soon as I can.