The mkiv Supra Owners Club

The Official 2011 F1 Thread

Nic

Great race. Vettel is just peerless at the moment.

Hamilton did a great job managing Webber - and Alonso, well, Massa wrecked his race otherwise he was in with a great shout of a podium.

Great race, worth getting up for. Had 4 coffees already and now I'm wired. Might go to Costco and get a chicken.

Agree, impressive racing.

Vettel is just too annoying. As a Mclaren fan I really shouldnt like Alonso, however I was hoping that he would be able to give the three cars much more of a harder time, guess you are right about Massa ruining his race.

Why was Vettel so much quicker, seemed like Webber and Hamilton were pretty much on par.

Really enjoyed it.

• Replies 481
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Agree, impressive racing.

Vettel is just too annoying. As a Mclaren fan I really shouldnt like Alonso, however I was hoping that he would be able to give the three cars much more of a harder time, guess you are right about Massa ruining his race.

Why was Vettel so much quicker, seemed like Webber and Hamilton were pretty much on par.

Really enjoyed it.

Vettel is just oozing confidence. Webber was quicker than Hamilton, no doubt - but the old phrase; "Catching is one thing, passing is another" - and the McLaren just had too much mechanical traction off that low-speed turn 3 (I think it was) to the DRS zone. If Webber had got past, he was down the road.

The other thing to note: Where is Ferrari's quallfying pace? Also, for Alonso to be so much faster in race-trim than Massa, is he going conservative on his Qualifying setup and going for the race? It would explain why Massa is quicker over the lap, but then Alonso just creams him in a race. He is a better, faster, more complete driver, but I think today's race pace did flatter. He's usually 3-4/10th's quicker, not 5-6/10ths.

Yeah he got pole and just got out the car, left his lid on, didn't wave at anyone etc. It's classic behaviour being distant like that but a bit odd for someone in that kind of public facing job, suppose he can't drop off the radar that easily. Also the way he's been this year letting his anger show and making mistakes, some people have that mood swing kind of symptom where the smallest things makes your blood boil and you end up doing stupid things.

I like the mood swings - watching vettel win every other week with the same celebrations gets monotonous - vettel was more interesting last year with the in-fighting with webber, you could see the pressure mounting - adds to the drama of it all. I prefer to see Ham getting stroppy rather than endlessly thanking his team.

Hams racing with Webber was fantastic. Roll on 2012 already

• 2 weeks later...

Agreed. Really wondering what is happening with Mark Webber - he seems to constantly be struggling with this season's car? I'm baffled that a car that is clearly super fast (by how dominant Vettel is) isn't performing when he's driving it. Perhaps the whole setup is designed with Vettel in mind, and it doesn't suit Webber's driving style?

Any ideas, guys?

Agreed. Really wondering what is happening with Mark Webber - he seems to constantly be struggling with this season's car? I'm baffled that a car that is clearly super fast (by how dominant Vettel is) isn't performing when he's driving it. Perhaps the whole setup is designed with Vettel in mind, and it doesn't suit Webber's driving style?

Any ideas, guys?

webber isnt having alot of luck with race strategy or with poeple pushing him off the track, webber will be back alot stronger next season.

Any ideas, guys?

All Red Bull's work will be focused on Vettel and developing a title winning car for him next year. Ferrari will be doing the same for Alonso.

Webber and Massa just have to accept their status in their teams, and for them it is better to drive as a no.2 in a top team than no.1 at somewhere like Williams or Renault.

Mercedes still appear to be favouring Schumacher, which is certainly handicapping Rosberg as he has been the better performer, and should be the future of the team.

McLaren have two drivers with driving styles that are poles apart, the aggressive way of Hamilton, and the super smooth method of Button. The problem then is that the design and development becomes a compromise as they try to create a car that is competitive and gives confidence to both drivers. If they want to go for the championship next year, it is time to put all the eggs in one basket and concentrate on the guy who is performing. Would be tough on Hamilton, for all his talent, but after this year it would be the right decision if the team are serious about taking on Red Bull in 2012.

webber isnt having alot of luck with race strategy or with poeple pushing him off the track, webber will be back alot stronger next season.

All Red Bull's work will be focused on Vettel and developing a title winning car for him next year. Ferrari will be doing the same for Alonso.

Webber and Massa just have to accept their status in their teams, and for them it is better to drive as a no.2 in a top team than no.1 at somewhere like Williams or Renault.

Mercedes still appear to be favouring Schumacher, which is certainly handicapping Rosberg as he has been the better performer, and should be the future of the team.

McLaren have two drivers with driving styles that are poles apart, the aggressive way of Hamilton, and the super smooth method of Button. The problem then is that the design and development becomes a compromise as they try to create a car that is competitive and gives confidence to both drivers. If they want to go for the championship next year, it is time to put all the eggs in one basket and concentrate on the guy who is performing. Would be tough on Hamilton, for all his talent, but after this year it would be the right decision if the team are serious about taking on Red Bull in 2012.

I think the strategy and "luck" aspects are distracting from his lack of pace. Many times I've seen him struggling to overtake (the most recent example was today against Button) cars that *should* be slower around the circuit, given the pace that Vettel has. Obviously there are other factors (driving style, precision, tyre wear and individual settings), but I really think Mark is suffering a hangover from the championship he SHOULD have won - but ultimately wasn't good enough to win. The loss of confidence from, perhaps, the realisation that he only had one chance at a driver's championship in his career and blew it.

Vettel is consistently making Mark look like a 2nd grade driver.

And strangely enough, he's making four former world champions look the same ;) And given how good Mark was last year, why is he now looking like Massa to Vettel's Alonso? Or Hamilton compared to Button? :p

Vettel - 24

Webber - 35

Button - 31

Alonso - 30

Massa - 30

Maybe a theme here.

Hamilton only 26. But after 13 years of being provided with the best equipment and support from McLaren, seems to be in some sort of mental freefall, and having never been in this situation before, has no idea how to respond.

Track looks good to drive, and after all the criticism of the previous new F1 tracks, it's nice to have some undulation on the track... But it's still not a great track for overtaking, and again a crap place for the pit exit. Big long straights section followed by all the twisty bits in the middle section, why can't he split them up a bit?

I'm sorry but I think it's time someone other than Tilke got a go at designing circuits.

• 3 weeks later...
So it's all the car? By that logic, Webber should be at least second.

And our circular argument begins again.

Webber cant qualify well,cant overtake well,thats the reason he is fourth in the championship he hasn't shown the hunger this year,and last year while leading the championship chucked the car off the track in the wet,i am amazed he got his contract for another season.

• 2 weeks later...

What a mess it is. :rolleyes:

So there are no changes to the 10 races shown live with the BBC.

We've got Sky but I'll be waiting to see what the coverage is like and if it's not good I can see myself watching extended highlights on the BBC.

I wonder if the BBC will keep the commentators and presenters they've got now, I like them all and I feel Sky have got their work cut out to make a better programme. :blink: