The mkiv Supra Owners Club

The Official 2011 F1 Thread

Nic

Thought I'd start a new thread to discuss the 2011 F1 season.

Probably old news but I've only just noticed this today.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/motorsport/formula_one/9267715.stm

The Renault car company has sold its remaining shares in the eponymous Formula 1 team, which will be renamed Lotus Renault in 2011.

Renault was left with a 25% shareholding in the team in 2010 after selling the remainder to private investment group Genii Capital.

Those shares have been sold to Genii and will be then taken by Lotus Cars, which is owned by Proton.

The move means there will be two F1 teams in 2011 with Lotus in their name.

The team that competed as Lotus Racing in 2010 will be renamed Team Lotus after buying the historic rights to the name under which Lotus raced from the 1960s until collapsing with financial difficulties in 1994.

• Replies 481
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah old news ;)

Renault will still continue to be called Renault by everyone I expect, to avoid confusion. What would have been confusing is both teams using the same black and gold colour scheme which was the original plan, but Team Lotus have announced they're now sticking with the current Green/Yellow.

whats happening in 2013?

edit, just had a read, and imho that will spoil f1 as a live specticle. i think they should be bringing back the screaming v10s.

i love f1 but if im to be brutally honest the v8s dont sound anywhere near as good as the v10s did and the v12 superleauge formula cars blew the current f1 cars out of the water as a live event for sound alone

if they bring in 4 cylinder engines the the "pinnicle" of motorsport ill be moving to follow another series with big shouty cars that kill animals and the ozone layer with high reves and lots of noise

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
whats happening in 2013?

edit, just had a read, and imho that will spoil f1 as a live specticle. i think they should be bringing back the screaming v10s.

i love f1 but if im to be brutally honest the v8s dont sound anywhere near as good as the v10s did and the v12 superleauge formula cars blew the current f1 cars out of the water as a live event for sound alone

if they bring in 4 cylinder engines the the "pinnicle" of motorsport ill be moving to follow another series with big shouty cars that kill animals and the ozone layer with high reves and lots of noise

There have been plenty of 4 cylinder engines in the past...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Formula_One_engines

As I've said before, we have to weigh up what people want. The spectacle or the technology.

The spectacle people want V12's that are as loud as hell and have 12 exhausts poking up through the bodywork.

The technology people want us to drive road car development which currently has a large focus on economy and most of these are 4 cylinder.

You can't have both!

However imagine getting 750 BHP out of a 4 pot that does 30 MPG and how that'll filter down to road car development.

There have been plenty of 4 cylinder engines in the past...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Formula_One_engines

As I've said before, we have to weigh up what people want. The spectacle or the technology.

The spectacle people want V12's that are as loud as hell and have 12 exhausts poking up through the bodywork.

The technology people want us to drive road car development which currently has a large focus on economy and most of these are 4 cylinder.

You can't have both!

However imagine getting 750 BHP out of a 4 pot that does 30 MPG and how that'll filter down to road car development.

You think turbo technology will make some good leaps in the coming years?

Pleased that we will be able to hear a bit more of Brundle without him being interrupted or spoken over but feel a bit sorry for him after seeing his twitter status.

I think the cars are still going to sound good though, not as good as the current spec or previous for that matter but it's not going to make me turn the tv off and if if there's a chance the tech will filter down it's a good thing right?

• 3 weeks later...